Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on propane tanks they have mounted under they Promasters. I have looked primarily at the "12" x 28" Horizontal ASME RV Propane Tank, 12.2 gallon" But am worried i wont have enough clearance under the vehicle, ~6" . Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up mounting a horizontal propane tank sold by GoWesty as a replacement for the Eurovan campers. The main reason I chose it over the alternative "horizonal tank" options is that the diameter is about 8" instead of the 10" diameter of the others I found (like these). It's a 5.9 gallon capacity. So far I'm still at 80% full after several short trips. For reference I have a propane-powered cooktop/stove, Propex heater and a on-demand water heater. I haven't run the heater much (only for tests) since I'm in Florida but overall I feel like the smaller capacity will work out fine for my needs.

Here's a link to the tank I used:
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4323

And some photos of the installation on the driver's side of the van:
https://goo.gl/photos/dco8uLMPgkFypECY9

I've seen a few others who relocated their spare tire to be mounted on the rear doors/etc. and then use that space for a larger propane tank with a remove fill such as this one. However, I'm pretty sure the spare tire's pressure is monitored by the low pressure system in the van so I'm not sure how moving the tire would affect that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's about 7" from the propane tank to the ground which is essentially the maximum clearance of the van since the rear axle is (according to the specifications) 6.7" from the ground.

I feel like it's enough clearance but I just finished my conversion a month ago so I don't have a road time.

My last camper van was a VW Eurovan Camper which had really bad ground clearance. The propane tank was about 3 inches from the ground and I drove that all over the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and Wyoming. Sometimes the "plate/guard" would scrape something like a rock but I never had any major issues.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
I'd give a little thought to mounting a regular 20 lb BBQ tank inside the van in a strong sealed container that is vented to the outside.
As detailed here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-co...van-conversion-installing-the-propane-system/

It does not take up much room, and the tank, valves, fittings and tubing are all protected from the weather. I had an under frame horizontal tank on a Coachman van conversion we used to have and it always seemed somewhat vulnerable to damage (although nothing ever happened), and it was always was muddy and we had trouble with the outside components a couple times.

I was a bit concerned about how long a 5 gallon tank would last with it being used for cooking and space heating, but it has been fine. This is our usage on a recent cold weather trip to Banff: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/trip-reports-experiences-and-lessons/banff-trip/

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
Forget propane go with all electric & solar with a butane stove for cooking. Safer, better, cleaner. Don't fall into the trap of "Everyone uses propane in their camper do I have to"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget propane go with all electric & solar with a butane stove for cooking. Safer, better, cleaner. Don't fall into the trap of "Everyone uses propane in their camper do I have to"
What do you use for a heater? I was going to have it hooked up to an RV furnace. Also I wanted to do an install cooktop and im not familiar with any butane ones?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
These portable butane stoves are widely used for event cooking inside and outside and work incredibly well. One might be able to be mounted but cannot be recessed as far as I can see.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=butane+cooktop
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Po...TICK-Carrying/dp/B00J904UOO/ref=pd_sbs_468_4?
There are double versions as well.
_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00J904UOO&pd_rd_r=2Y4VWMNPBH3J5XWFMJX8&pd_rd_w=8ctTg&pd_rd_wg=t4S4z&psc=1&refRID=2Y4VWMNPBH3J5XWFMJX8

I use an Espar D2 airtop furnace that runs on diesel drawn from my van’s fuel tank. There is an attachment provided on the tank for the purpose. There are gasoline versions too by Wabasto. MsNomer recently installed one. See:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57897

·
Registered
20 Posts
Propane Tank Install

The Gowesty tank is a little small IMO for a propane furnace (3.3 gallon). I just bought a 12" x 28" Horizontal ASME RV Propane Tank (12.2 Gallon) off of Ebay for just over $300. I have 160 watts of PV on the roof, but need all the PV for my DC fridge and other loads. I have owned both Espars and Webasto diesel heaters before, they are expensive to buy, and so are the install parts. They tend to need a lot of expensive repair parts if you use them for full time use. My plan is to mount the tank in front of the rear axle. The closer you can get it to the axel, the less clearance that is needed. My Axle is 7" off the ground, I am hoping to get it 8" off the ground. I will report back and let you know how it goes. If it won't work, I have an RV that needs a new tank, so I will install it there. Oh, and I will be using a remote fill attachment, to avoid crawling underneath to fill. I see remote fills are available on ebay, but I happen to have a brand new one, as I converted a truck to run on propane years ago and decided not to use the part.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Gowesty tank is a little small IMO for a propane furnace (3.3 gallon). I just bought a 12" x 28" Horizontal ASME RV Propane Tank (12.2 Gallon) off of Ebay for just over $300. I have 160 watts of PV on the roof, but need all the PV for my DC fridge and other loads. I have owned both Espars and Webasto diesel heaters before, they are expensive to buy, and so are the install parts. They tend to need a lot of expensive repair parts if you use them for full time use. My plan is to mount the tank in front of the rear axle. The closer you can get it to the axel, the less clearance that is needed. My Axle is 7" off the ground, I am hoping to get it 8" off the ground. I will report back and let you know how it goes. If it won't work, I have an RV that needs a new tank, so I will install it there. Oh, and I will be using a remote fill attachment, to avoid crawling underneath to fill. I see remote fills are available on ebay, but I happen to have a brand new one, as I converted a truck to run on propane years ago and decided not to use the part.
Hey wondering if you ended up successfully putting this tank in. I'm going to be doing a propane install and looking to achieve something similar. Remote fill is a great idea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used a standard grill tank in my conversion that I have attached under a bath cabinet. I've got it piped with black pipe for the main line and have stainless steel lines to each appliance (cooktop, instant hot water heater, and refrig). It's easy to swap out for a new one when traveling and I've never worried about leakage. I keep my water and gray tank in the van also under the bed. I use a bilge pump to pump from the shower to the gray tank. The black tank is 10 gal. and sits inside the van directly under the low height toilet. I don't have to worry about anything freezing this way.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I used a standard grill tank in my conversion that I have attached under a bath cabinet. I've got it piped with black pipe for the main line and have stainless steel lines to each appliance (cooktop, instant hot water heater, and refrig). It's easy to swap out for a new one when traveling and I've never worried about leakage. I keep my water and gray tank in the van also under the bed. I use a bilge pump to pump from the shower to the gray tank. The black tank is 10 gal. and sits inside the van directly under the low height toilet. I don't have to worry about anything freezing this way.
Is the tank in a sealed container that is vented to the outside with only low pressure lines in the living area?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ran out of time last summer to complete this project, so it will be on the list for next summer. (only free time I have is summertime) I will post back on this thread with info and pics.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,435 Posts
I just found this on the Propex website

25 liter tank undermount; (just over 1lb per litre = 25lb tank)

edit update from a distributor;

So quick answer back. Tank is a no go, as it will not meet any certifications here. All of the fittings do NOT conform to anything here, and do not meet any propane gas certifications here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on propane tanks they have mounted under they Promasters. I have looked primarily at the "12" x 28" Horizontal ASME RV Propane Tank, 12.2 gallon" But am worried i wont have enough clearance under the vehicle, ~6" . Any input would be appreciated
I used a 3.3 gallon LP tank from GoWesty.com, Part number 253-070-601D and mounted it between the cross-struts. The muffler hangs lower than the LP tank. I installed a Nashfuel Propane Remote Fill Kit with Mounting Bracket so refills are not an issue. The mounting bracket was modified to add some road debris protection. Heat is provided from a Propex HS2000 which is also available from GoWesty.com. In theory the Propex will run for 70+/- hours on 3 gallons of propane and that has been my experience. I've had this setup in place since June, 2017 with no issues.

As an added note, I run a 136" high top, insulated with 1 inch rigid foam as many others do. At 10F degrees outside temperature the inside max temperature the Propex HS2000 can hit is 60F degrees. At -10F outside the maximum is 45 F. This is with the cab sealed off behind thermal drapes and the heater running continuously. You might want to consider the Propex HS2800 if you're in a cold environment or have a larger van.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Yea, I wish I had gotten the 2800 Propex silly me, next season I will probably install a gas siphoning heater as a secondary heat source.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I chose the 5.9 gal tank from GoWesty because #3 the biggest that would fit between the frame rails , #2 the "on" valve is on the right / curb side and reachable , #1 medicineman4040 did it ! ! ! And had to use the remote fill ports too $$$ .
Quite a project , heat shields , splash shields , chew proof hoses , remote on/off (don't work smooth , back to the drawing board) .

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
920 Posts
We went with a Manchester 6814 7.9 gallon tank that is 10″ in diameter and 23″ long.

We stuffed the tank in behind the axel, in front of the spare tire, tucked up between the ribs, secured with custom mounting brackets. The clearance appears to be good. Perhaps only 1 inch lower than the spare.

Full write-up here: https://vanmargrit.com/2019/12/27/mounting-a-propane-tank-under-our-ram3500-van/

We used the usual Nashfuel Propane Remote Fill Kit with Mounting Bracket:

We positioned the remote fill close behind the passenger-side rear wheel.

Full write-up here: https://vanmargrit.com/2019/12/27/propane-remote-fill/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Propane Tank Install

ANY Updates on the installation? I would like to mount the same kind of tank

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
920 Posts
@drek4621 Nice install. It is interesting how similar our approaches are !

Did you come up with a way to do a shutoff?

I was thinking of a pully over the valve, pulling a cable would spin the knob to close the tank.

How did you do the remote fill?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts