Ram Promaster Forum banner

Propane mounting

561 4
Has anyone mounting a 20lb propane tank on the exterior, rear cargo door? My idea is to use a swing away hitch mount, use a pre made barbecue tray and have a Buddy weld an extra brace . I use the van for 4-5 day trips with my pups and don’t really want the tank inside the van. I have a propane stove and fire pit I use outside the van.
thanks…
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
439 Posts
There have been some under van propane tank mounts shared over the years here but I don't recall an exterior rear mount example. I believe the notion has come up but safety concerns in the event of being rear-ended prevail.

Is your concern with interior mounting a space issue or a safety issue? I'm noodling the 20# tank issue as well though so far refilling one pounders has worked for my cooking needs and I use a Solo Stove for my pyromaniacal proclivities. One pounders seem impractical for a fire ring.

The thread below has some food for thought. Good luck to you and your pack whatever you decide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone mounting a 20lb propane tank on the exterior, rear cargo door? My idea is to use a swing away hitch mount, use a pre made barbecue tray and have a Buddy weld an extra brace . I use the van for 4-5 day trips with my pups and don’t really want the tank inside the van. I have a propane stove and fire pit I use outside the van.
thanks…
I want to do this too! I have the swing away hitch and it would be great with an open tray but my hitch has a cargo box already. With the yakima exo i could put a second level and build up i guess

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good discussion here:

Lots of people mount them to the rear of their vehicle. I wouldn't. Nor would I put a tank inside my vehicle, even with an enclosed, vented compartment. I bought a 5.9 gallon horizontal tank from gowesty.com and mounted it under my Promaster. It did reduce my ground clearance marginally, but that hasn't proved to be a problem, even with multiple trips to southern Baja. gowesty's tanks here:

Yes, they're expensive. So is a fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts