Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This.
Top of the list.
Use copper lines and flare fittings.
NOT compression fittings. Compression is for water and non hazardous only. They vibrate and leak.
Don't listen to anyone that says they used compression fittings "and never had any issues".
If you don't know how to flare or don't have a flaring tool, just buy or rent one, or ask a plumber to run the lines.
A plumber buddy might do it for a few beers.
The Propex I bought came with a compression 90 fitting that screws onto the inlet nipple. I purchased a flared one end thread the other 90 & did not use the Propex supplied compression 90.

Yellow gas tape on the threaded end & no tape on the flare end.

Im not a fan of compression fittings either.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just keep your "crossunder" line behind Xmembers (road debris) and to be extra safe , cover the line with angle iron or SS angle when / if crossing the longitudinals , incase a jack or hoist pad lifts the van on the line .
And no "ice maker " line . Take time to read the NFPA codes and standards relating to RV's etc .
.022 wall is fine for ice makers , .032 is spec'd for propane . .032 would be better crossing under IMO .
All of my tubing is inside the van. There is one T connection and a connection to the heater/stove/propane box. About 12 feet of tubing total.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I'm simplifying the design and moving the propane locker, propex, and cooktop all in the same cabinet so I no longer need to run propane line across the van (The cooktop will go above the refrigerator and the propane locker will go on top of the wheel well).....now enters my next question, has anybody put a propex in the location I've attached below?

I'm also showing the underside of the van, where the two outlet pipes will go. Does anyone feel this is too tight a fit? I made this small stencil based on the Propex schematic GoWesty provides. The outer circle is what they recommend as clearance, the inside circle is the size of the actual hole.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
So I'm simplifying the design and moving the propane locker, propex, and cooktop all in the same cabinet so I no longer need to run propane line across the van (The cooktop will go above the refrigerator and the propane locker will go on top of the wheel well).....now enters my next question, has anybody put a propex in the location I've attached below?

I'm also showing the underside of the van, where the two outlet pipes will go. Does anyone feel this is too tight a fit? I made this small stencil based on the Propex schematic GoWesty provides. The outer circle is what they recommend as clearance, the inside circle is the size of the actual hole.

View attachment 62882

View attachment 62883
It looks tight, but achievable.

My Propex is a 2800 ”green” & your “blue” looks like a 2000. So there might be some differences.

My Propex came with a 90 with a compression fitting. I did not use this fitting as I used a flare 90 fitting. You should make sure you have enough room to get a flare 90 on for your gas line which I am assuming is inside & not coming from under the van.

My 2800 came with an install template from Propex. My “kit”,also came with tubes to hold on the SS intake & exhaust. These are held into place with “hose clamps”. My space was tight also & I ended up enlarging the air intake side to accomodate my thick floor (3/4” BB Plywood & 1” XPS rigid insulation). The exhaust can get hot, thus the clearance requirements from materials that can burn. The air intake is of course colder than the exhaust & the clearances from “combustibles“ may not matter as much. Best to check with GoWesty

It is important to not shorten these intake or exhaust SS tubes - they are sent the same length to provide “balance” or so I was told.

So if the holes fit your intake & exhaust, you can get your propane copper line hooked up to the back of the unit, & the heater has “serviceability” in your chosen location I would say you are good to go.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
All of my tubing is inside the van. There is one T connection and a connection to the heater/stove/propane box. About 12 feet of tubing total.
Mine too.
I had a past RV with underframe propane tank and plumbing and it took a beating from being outside -- required on the road fixes a couple times.
One of my objectives for this conversion was to get it all inside, and it has worked out fine.

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Propex I bought came with a compression 90 fitting that screws onto the inlet nipple. I purchased a flared one end thread the other 90 & did not use the Propex supplied compression 90.

Yellow gas tape on the threaded end & no tape on the flare end.

Im not a fan of compression fittings either.
Do you remember the brand of the flare connector you used? I am looking for a 5/16" standard thread (from Propex fuel intake) to 3/8" flare which I cannot find online or in stores.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Do you remember the brand of the flare connector you used? I am looking for a 5/16" standard thread (from Propex fuel intake) to 3/8" flare which I cannot find online or in stores.
Hi @BikerDood

IIRC I purchased the fittings & copper tubing from a local RV store. My Propex came with a 90 & I took that to the store to match the threads to the heater unit. I purchased an assortment as I was not sure if I would use a straight on or 90.

Do you have a RV shop close by?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi @BikerDood

IIRC I purchased the fittings & copper tubing from a local RV store. My Propex came with a 90 & I took that to the store to match the threads to the heater unit. I purchased an assortment as I was not sure if I would use a straight on or 90.

Do you have a RV shop close by?
I reached out to Propex and received this email soon after, "
The outlet of the heater is 1/4" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) and the compression fitting that comes with the heater is a 1/4" BSPT to 1/4" NPT adapter. If you need to source other fittings, we use McMaster-Carr extensively at our shop."
I am going to try to find a 1/4"BSPT to 3/8"NPT flare.
Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
The outlet of the heater is 1/4" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) and the compression fitting that comes with the heater is a 1/4" BSPT to 1/4" NPT adapter. If you need to source other fittings, we use McMaster-Carr extensively at our shop."
Thanks
I used this Ebay site to get a BSPT to NPT, not sure what NPT size I went with.

Ebay site for BSPT male to NPT female

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks
If you have other propane items, you could also use a T that has two 3/8 and one 1/4 flare, then use 1/4 line to the compression elbow that comes with the propex (or at least came with our HS2800). It does mean getting some 1/4 line, but finding BSPT adapters/fittings isn't the easiest here.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks
RV or Boat shop maybe. It really was a first shop I tried & they had what I needed.

here is a link for propane parts & brass fittings - thought it might help you;

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks
@BikerDood

Did you get that fitting sorted out?

Yesterday I was cleaning dust out of the area my heater is & remembered your questions, so I took a photo of that fitting FWIW;

I do not like the “olive” compression fitting that came with the Propex heater (90 thread into the heater & olive compression ). I kept the fitting, but used the fitting n the above photo instead. I prefer to flare the copper line & use a flare nut.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts