Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for a propane cooktop for my new Promaster build.

In my previous van (Sprinter 144") I used a CampChef Everest 2-burner camp stove, which worked great, but it took up a lot of counter space due to the enclosure around it, so I eventually replaced it with a Ramblewood 2-burner drop in stove. I was never really happy with the Ramblewood... sure it looked good, but I couldn't really use both burners at the same time for cooking because of spacing between them. Also, the power output of the Ramblewood wasn't great when compared to the Everest (7400 BTU vs 20000 BTU). I cook every meal (and i enjoy it!) so it's important to me to have a very functional cooktop.

Has anyone had good experiences with the Summit, Suburban or Dometic cooktops? Any issues with elevation? I live 7000 ft above sea level...

Requirements:
  • 2 or 4 burners
  • battery or 12v ignition
  • at least 8000 BTU output
  • must work at elevation (less than 10000 ft is fine)

Thank you!
Max

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you considered the single burner butane stoves? If you only need one burner it takes up very little space. They do have 2 burner models, but if you need more than one burner, you can just buy 2 singles and separate them as much as you want. Here are several different models ranging from about 7,500BTU up to 15,000 BTU. Some models are even dual fuel and run from propane cartridges as well. I don't know about altitude issues. The Butane models do not perform well in below freezing temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
You can even get 2 burner butane stoves.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We use a Dometic 50216 in our van, it works well. We have the 12v igniter and cast iron grate, we like having both. We cook on both burners at the same time, and they simmer well. Have used it up to 9k ft altitude, no issues, other than it does take awhile to boil a full tea kettle (compared to our house stove). Its meant to be a built-in stove, so it is not portable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered the single burner butane stoves? If you only need one burner it takes up very little space. They do have 2 burner models, but if you need more than one burner, you can just buy 2 singles and separate them as much as you want. Here are several different models ranging from about 7,500BTU up to 15,000 BTU. Some models are even dual fuel and run from propane cartridges as well. I don't know about altitude issues. The Butane models do not perform well in below freezing temperatures.

[/URL]
We use a Dometic 50216 in our van, it works well. We have the 12v igniter and cast iron grate, we like having both. We cook on both burners at the same time, and they simmer well. Have used it up to 9k ft altitude, no issues, other than it does take awhile to boil a full tea kettle (compared to our house stove). Its meant to be a built-in stove, so it is not portable.
Thanks supermoocow. I almost bought one the other day, but there were a bunch of reviews on the Dometic website saying that it won't work over 4500 ft. Maybe that's no longer the case with newer models? Glad to hear you haven't had that issue!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts