Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've all seen data showing ProMaster being about 4-inches wider than Sprinter or Transit near floor elevation (approximately 74 versus 70 inches wide), but this drawing from Sportsmobile shows that as we go up towards the vans' ceiling that width differences may be even greater. The dimensions apply to bed widths in vans with pop-up roofs.

I first noticed this in bathrooms of Class Bs where in Sprinters my shoulders and head would almost hit the outside wall, but not in ProMaster Class Bs. I can stand upright and easily clear the outside wall. Also upper cabinets are often deeper and still leave more space between them to make van feel more spacious.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chance,

I noticed this when I started working on walls for the inside. If you start a wall inside the triangle covers at the floor, it's straight up to about the top of the CRL windows I installed.

Ed
Ed, if the van is 74 inches near floor, how high can you go before width drops to 68 or 70 inches? Any idea? Do you think it would be that wide at top of CRL windows?

I'm curious if someone built either a transverse bunk or platform bed for shorter people and or children, how high up it can be made and still allow sleeping across van. Obviously it can't be much over 4-feet off floor without it becoming too cramped for lack of overhead space.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ed, if the van is 74 inches near floor, how high can you go before width drops to 68 or 70 inches? Any idea? Do you think it would be that wide at top of CRL windows?

I'm curious if someone built either a transverse bunk or platform bed for shorter people and or children, how high up it can be made and still allow sleeping across van. Obviously it can't be much over 4-feet off floor without it becoming too cramped for lack of overhead space.
You have me wondering so I went out and measured! (outside temp = 5 degrees! I measured quickly!)

There is a steel rib that is above the area where the CRL windows are installed. It has hex holes stamped in at the factory. It is 15" below the steel roof on my high roof PM.
Interior height = 76" minus 15" down to steel rib = 61" off the floor.

At that height, the width is an amazing (insert drum roll here) 69" wide !

Check out uNiK's new Promaster bed: https://youtu.be/ifGVN4DZF_M

Ed

ps. old picture... not today!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have me wondering so I went out and measured! (outside temp = 5 degrees! I measured quickly!)

There is a steel rib that is above the area where the CRL windows are installed. It has hex holes stamped in at the factory. It is 15" below the steel roof on my high roof PM.
Interior height = 76" minus 15" down to steel rib = 61" off the floor.

At that height, the width is an amazing (insert drum roll here) 69" wide !

Check out uNiK's new Promaster bed: https://youtu.be/ifGVN4DZF_M

Ed

ps. old picture... not today!
Thanks much for the measurement. And you are correct that it is much wider than even I expected, opening up additional design opportunities for sleeping across van. I'm still kicking around ideas to see if I can come up with a floorplan that can safely seat 4 (including shoulder harnesses) and also sleep 4 without being too cramped.

The platform in Video is much heavier than I would have expected. Lifting 30 pounds of anything that large inside a van up high would not work for us. Whatever I come up with has to be light enough and easy enough for my wife to set it up without much effort.

Ideally everything would be stationary for us -- it's easier that way. If not that, then a bed that is moved very little like the overcab bed of a Class C where half the bed is slid out of way a little. And I'm also considering bunk beds where the top bed pivots (either down to create backrest for lower bunk seat cushion, or up to get out of way). Lots of details to work out to make it as simple to use as possible.

Anyway, thanks again for going out in 5 degree weather. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
We've got a transverse bed that works great for us. With the walls paneled with half inch ply we've got about 6'1 of length to sleep in. Since neither of us is that tall it works great. Bed height is about 3' off the floor cause it's low roof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The width up high is the reason I bought a PM. The bed goes sideways making the lounge a true 6'x6' space/sitting circle. My bed at the windowsill is 6'7". I am 6'3". I can even let my ankles flop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The width up high is the reason I bought a PM. The bed goes sideways making the lounge a true 6'x6' space/sitting circle. My bed at the windowsill is 6'7". I am 6'3". I can even let my ankles flop.
John, I'd love to see this. Do you have a photo you could share? I'm 6'2" and planning exactly that!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts