Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A couple points to add:
1) We're working on some agreements with UPS / FedEx to try and lower the shipping costs. Our last batch averaged around $100 CAD to send them to the US. We're hoping to lower this as we do more volume. We also now have improved our packaging (getting custom boxes made) which increased the price another $7 each tank.

2) The tanks do come with fittings. After our last batch of feedback we now have 4 x 1/2" fittings on the large end of the tank and 1 x 1 1/2" fitting on the top of the tank (fill port). It's impossible to fill the tank completely fill without a fitting on the top of the tank.

3) Our drivers side tanks should be ready within the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately there's been some production delays on these.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
A couple points to add:
2) The tanks do come with fittings. After our last batch of feedback we now have 4 x 1/2" fittings on the large end of the tank and 1 x 1 1/2" fitting on the top of the tank (fill port). It's impossible to fill the tank completely fill without a fitting on the top of the tank.
So the tanks you are currently shipping do have these fittings (not just NPT ports) already installed?

·
Registered
137 Posts
So the tanks you are currently shipping do have these fittings (not just NPT ports) already installed?
Fitting and NPT ports is the same thing. I'm not sure what the gold threads on the titan tank?? maybe the mounting thread??
Mine is a prototype tank and I have 2 npt fitting(total 4) on both end of the tank plus a 1-1/2" fitting on the top for filling. Currently don't have it vent and doesn't seem to have any issue fill the tank.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Fitting and NPT ports is the same thing. I'm not sure what the gold threads on the titan tank?? maybe the mounting thread??
Mine is a prototype tank and I have 2 npt fitting(total 4) on both end of the tank plus a 1-1/2" fitting on the top for filling. Currently don't have it vent and doesn't seem to have any issue fill the tank.
Thanks for clarifying terminology, I thought the grommets (threaded or not?) and pre-drilled holes in the tank for connections were referred to as "fittings." Fittings in plumbing normally refer specifically to a conveyance whereas a port is just an opening. Good to have my terms sorted out.

I think the full production run tanks may have slightly different locations for the NPT ports than your prototype, but it seems these are the pre-drilled ports only for filling, venting, distributing pumped water and draining the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for clarifying terminology, I thought the grommets (threaded or not?) and pre-drilled holes in the tank for connections were referred to as "fittings." Fittings in plumbing normally refer specifically to a conveyance whereas a port is just an opening. Good to have my terms sorted out.

I think the full production run tanks may have slightly different locations for the NPT ports than your prototype, but it seems these are the pre-drilled ports only for filling, venting, distributing pumped water and draining the tank.
I was confused with terminology as well. Our manufacturer refers to the threaded ports as fittings so that's what I've been going with.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
My tank arrived and fits like a glove around the wheel well, as advertised.

I have a 159WB regular length model. Note to others: It is tight at the rear when on the passenger side. This should be known in advance if you plan to have all your tank connections here and don't have an extended length van. See photos below before insulating or putting up walls.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
Not having built such a water system before, I assume there is no problem mounting a 90 degree angle turn (or just flexible hose) directly upward from the port on the outside wall to run to the water pump mounted above the tank. Any problem with this setup?

That seems to be the only way to use the factory NPT ports if I use the other bottom port as the drain that needs to be routed out the back door.

I don't plan to have exterior fill or drain ports on my build. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, and modular to the extent possible for hauling stuff if needed.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If you want to use the bottom/rear fitting for the pump, you can just use a quick connect and disconnect the pump if/when you want to drain the tank.
Or, use a Tee fitting out of the tank. Tee up to the pump and have a shutoff on the other end for draining.
Depends on how you build the cabinet and how badly you want to use that bottom rear fitting on the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the photos in the non-extended version. I don't have one at our shop to play around with and I was waiting anxiously to make sure my measurements were accurate when designing the tank. We wanted to minimize the width of the tank (13" footprint) which is why we pushed the length so far back.

Just a heads up we now have the drivers side tanks in stock as well. They are an exact mirror of the original tank. You can find them on our site here (be sure to select drivers side).

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Here's my install of an early prototypes. It doesn't have the bungs on the rear right corner of the tank which is fine. I'm going to add a sight glass using clear PVC tubing utilizing the remaining rear fittings. Debating in an internal or external fill port. Grade 8 fasteners will be used to secure tank through floor.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would think it would be better to mount them with the larger portion of the tank forward of the wheel well, so it doesn't block the pressure relief vents behind the rear wheel wells.
At least in the 159.
Not sure if they are in different locations in the 136 and 159 ext.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
@RnR
The 136 and 159 IIRC are the same position, the 159 ext for some reason doesn't have the ones behind the rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I closed off the vents in the rear sidewall and it doesn't seem to have made and difference.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
41 - 58 of 58 Posts