Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
128 Posts
Hi
We have been making the tanks for a long time, the biggest plus is we can customizer the fittings for you, delivery cost is a bit of an issue, but if a few clubbed together it would be cheaper, you can buy the tanks with fixing brackets and sets of nut in tank fittings if you prefer that, it's worth having a look anyway
Be aware that CAK tanks ordered from ebay have no shipping date because they have put their account on vacation. I have been waiting for more than a month to order. Do not want to wait in the Arizona heat all summer waiting on our tanks to arrive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just got one of the water tank from Curious Camper, looks well made. I test fill it with water to make sure there isn't any leak plus to wash all the plastic shaving inside too. I'm debating if i should cut my insulation/laminate floor so i can drop the tank down 1.5". Hope to install it in a few weeks once i finalize the interior cabinets and give a review on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just got one of the water tank from Curious Camper, looks well made. I test fill it with water to make sure there isn't any leak plus to wash all the plastic shaving inside too. I'm debating if i should cut my insulation/laminate floor so i can drop the tank down 1.5". Hope to install it in a few weeks once i finalize the interior cabinets and give a review on it.
Looking forward to further feedback. I wanted to keep the tank compatible for people with little or no flooring which is why it sits slightly higher on your build. Hope it's not a deal breaker for some people.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just an update that the prototype units have all been sent out. Packaging them was a bit of a nightmare.. I had to make-shift some boxes from large cardboard chunks I dug out of the recycle bin. I looked into getting some custom boxes made and they are going to be about $15 each! Ouch.. I'm trying to keep the cost down for this so I'd love to hear if anyone had a creative packaging solutions. The tanks themselves are pretty durable so I've even thought about sending them without any packaging to keep costs down.

I plan on getting more of them made after I've received feedback on the first units. If anyone is interested they can reach me below.
Email: [email protected]
Phone/text: 250-328-9361

Taylor
Email sent ! Exactly what I have needed!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Will you be offering them in a mirror image? That is, with the base behind the drivers side wheel instead of in front of it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Currently we do not have a mold made for the mirrored version. This is in the works but likely a month out.
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. The wheel well water tank looks exactly like what I want for my build. I have a couple of questions:
  1. What's the progress with the "mirrored version"?
  2. This may be dumb and demonstrate my lack of rv plumbing knowledge but is it possible to install a fitting on the top of the tank to accept a DIN96 screw cap with two holes (DIN96 two-hole cap) so a 12 Volt submersible water pump can be used (example: 12 V portable water pump)? On my proposed build, I will just be connecting the water tank to the galley sink so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible by avoiding all the plumbing (and cost) associated with an "external" 12 Volt water pump.
Good job with this water tank!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. The wheel well water tank looks exactly like what I want for my build. I have a couple of questions:
  2. This may be dumb and demonstrate my lack of rv plumbing knowledge but is it possible to install a fitting on the top of the tank to accept a DIN96 screw cap with two holes (DIN96 two-hole cap) so a 12 Volt submersible water pump can be used (example: 12 V portable water pump)? On my proposed build, I will just be connecting the water tank to the galley sink so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible by avoiding all the plumbing (and cost) associated with an "external" 12 Volt water pump.
I like your thought process, but there are advantages to the external pumps (gravity tank drainage for winterizing being one).

If I was doing a wheelwell tank, I would want it on the passenger side as far back to the back doors as practical. This way I could open up the 1 passenger side back door & fill & see the level just inside the rear of the van. We drink from our 30 gal water tank & we do not want an exterior fill port.

Because this is our first build, we would do many things differently. Drivers side would work for us as well, just have to open up both doors to fill (no big deal).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
1. The mold for the mirrored version is in production. I'd say we're a couple weeks out of getting the tanks. Same goes for more units of the original version as well.

2. The fitting on the top of the tank is 1 1/2" NPT. You would be able to install that cap but you would need to add a nipple first. Or you could find an 1 1/2" plug so it's all in one piece. The 12V water pump you linked SHOULD fit if the specs are accurate. It says it's 3.8cm in diameter and the fitting is slightly over 4cm wide (I just measured).

Another update: we finally found a good supplier for boxes for the tanks so the packaging will no longer be wang-jangled together. I'll be sure to update the thread when more units are ready.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like your thought process, but there are advantages to the external pumps (gravity tank drainage for winterizing being one).

If I was doing a wheelwell tank, I would want it on the passenger side as far back to the back doors as practical. This way I could open up the 1 passenger side back door & fill & see the level just inside the rear of the van. We drink from our 30 gal water tank & we do not want an exterior fill port.
I'm thinking of putting the "mirror" version on the passenger side so the water is forward of the rear axle (have to admit I have no idea what difference this makes to driving). In my build, there is space under the bed in front of the wheel well.

I was going to install an exterior fill port. I understand this may have "security" issues but we never had problems on our trailer after 10 years of traveling about. But I definitely would not rule out having the fill port only accessible from the inside - one less hole in the chassis!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would certainly install a drain valve at the bottom of the tank, using one of the existing fittings. A good reminder to me!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Funny you plan to run a internal pump. I'm planning to run an internal pump temporary since i haven't finish building my kitchen and i already have the pump from an old project. here is few pic:
As you can see, the pump fit. i just need to drill two holes for the wire and water hose on the black cap.I'm planning to fill the water from the same 1-1/2" hole by unplugging the cap.
The only issue with the water tank is a big bulge on the middle of big flat side. I'm planning to cover it with 1/8 ply and i made my cabinet frame tight to minimize movement. With the big bulge, once i cover it with the ply, it will probably rub the inside. I probably need to shim it with another layer of ply to build up more clearance.

Reactions: silverstable

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of the fittings are female so you would need to add a male nipple like this one for that cap to work. Otherwise you could just run a male plug like this one and drill your holes through it. One less part but up to you.
Thanks for the information and links. Presumably, I could drill a larger diameter hole to accept a larger diameter submersible pump and attach (glue?) a larger diameter male plug (96 mm outside diamter) that accepts the two-hole screw cap. More for me to look into!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny you plan to run a internal pump. I'm planning to run an internal pump temporary since i haven't finish building my kitchen and i already have the pump from an old project. here is few pic:
That looks great Uvan. Do you think you might make this solution "permanent" if it works for you?

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks great Uvan. Do you think you might make this solution "permanent" if it works for you?
Maybe for use after surfing, to rinse off. Since i'm planning to install one of those propane camping water heater, i will need to install a pump that offer higher GPM rating.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Most of our home water appliances are now 2 g/m so going much higher should not be necessary. I’d aim for 3-3.5 g/m??

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
111 Posts
I would like to suggest to anybody with a large freshwater tank to install a large enough clean-out opening that can fit your arm. Especially if you want to drink from the tank you might want to be able to scrub the tank clean or even just inspect it from the inside once in a while.
Sure, you can sanitize it with the recommended bleach solution from time to time like us trailer folks do, but if this is a new install - why not add a clean out port.

·
Registered
2017 PM 3500
18 Posts
I got an email this week that the custom wheel well tanks are back in stock at Curious Campervans. After adding $100 CAD shipping to a US address, this solution is still ~$50 USD cheaper than the Titan Vans product. Noting that Titan might be aware of the competition and has a "sale" price currently of $355 USD (free shipping in USA).

Key differences seem to be:
1) Capacity (22 gal Curious versus 20 gal Titan) and the dimensions of the tanks (how fit around wheel well)
2) No fittings in the Curious tanks, Titan has standard ones pre-installed
3) Titan model comes with some mounting brackets, though not sure what they are exactly

21 - 40 of 58 Posts