Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Promaster build was put on hold when a client came to us to convert his Sprinter. During this time we came across water tanks that fit snugly around the wheel wells for Sprinters and Transits. These not only save under counter space where our water tanks/jugs usually go, but also make the awkward wheel wells easier to build around.

Here are the examples of the Sprinter/Transit ones:
nwconversions, Titan Vans

Unfortunately nothing specifically was available for the Promaster (as the wheel wells are considerable larger). So we did some 3D design work, created a cardboard prototype and found a local company to make a mold for us. A few weeks later we had got our first tank, added some fittings and the fit was pretty much perfect! There's even some space for soundproof and insulation. The tanks are 22 US gallons in volume and the footprint is 41 1/2" L x 13" W x 18 5/8" H

Our plan is to sell this tank on our website, but first we want some feedback from actual Promaster builders so we can optimize the design. The Sprinter/Transit companies are selling these for $300-$400 per tank. We have 5 of them available for $175 each + shipping. I can place custom fittings anywhere that's convenient for you. If interested send me a PM.

Note* The tank sits rear of wheel well on the passenger side and in front of wheel well on the driver side.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you seen this?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That is great;

If I build Van #2 I will look into wheelwell tanks as I think they are very efficient especially if custom made for the back passenger side door easy fill & see water level. For a PM 3500 EXT, the perfect location design is for a crosscourt queen width (60” wide) bed, just in front of the wheelwells, so a tank that stops just shy of the front wheelwell is perfect. For an EXT, I would consider extending that tank to closer to the back door

The other item I note for my build; I like to build my floor with 1” thick insulation then 3/4” plywood (almost 2” off the high pans of the metal van floor) - again to maximize space, I would want these 2” shaved off the bottom of my custom tank.

With zero insulation (like your mockup photos show), & in a Canadian colder climate in winter, I would think it would be possible to get thermal conductivity thru the fan metal floor & onto the tank/water & have possible freeze up conditions; you may consider insulating under the tank & plumbing (water lines).

From, what I see for costs on the internet for these custom units, your pricing seems good, however you did not specify Can or USD & being Canadian you are aware I would like to pay for in $175 Can😁

I think wheelwell tanks are great & I think you guys are great entrepreneurs in designing & getting these built.

Great Job !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you seen this?
Yep I linked the exact same one above. That's a universal tank - not designed specifically for the Promaster wheel wells. Also is $369 vs $175.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is great;

If I build Van #2 I will look into wheelwell tanks as I think they are very efficient especially if custom made for the back passenger side door easy fill & see water level. For a PM 3500 EXT, the perfect location design wise for a crosscourt queen width (60” wide) bed is just @ the front on the wheelwells, so a tank that stops just shy of the front wheelwell is perfect. For an EXT, I would consider extending that tank to closer to the back door

The other item I note for my build; I like to build my floor with 1” thick insulation then 3/4” plywood (almost 2” off the high pans of the metal van floor) - again to maximize space, I would want these 2” shaved off my tank.

With zero insulation (like your mockup photos show), & in a Canadian colder climate in winter, I would think it would be possible to get thermal conductivity thru the fan metal floor & onto the tank/water & have possible freeze up conditions; you may consider insulating under the tank & plumbing (water lines).

From, what I see for costs on the internet for these custom units, your pricing seems good, however you did not specify Can or USD & being Canadian you are aware I would like to pay for in $175 Can😁

I think wheelwell tanks are great & I think you guys are great entrepreneurs in designing & getting these built.

Great Job !!
Thanks for the kind words. Yes we are definitely going to insulate the floor but we wanted to design the tank so it fits without any flooring so it fits in every instance. We usually use 1/2" insulation and 1/2" subfloor to maximize head height. 99% of our use is in above 0 degree temps.

I'm having a hard time imagining your desired tank you described but I'd love to hear more. Perhaps a sketch would help.

$175 is in USD hehe. Keeping it consistent with the other sites selling the Sprinter/Transit units.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm having a hard time imagining your desired tank you described but I'd love to hear more. Perhaps a sketch would help.
Sketch per request;

So if I wanted one on the "drivers side" it would be a mirror image (bulk of the tank between the drivers back door and wheelwell (not in front of the drivers wheelwell as that encroaches into more valuable space than under the bed), as that is the most efficient for my 60" wide bed

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I love the space economical design of wheelwell tanks; My only concern with them in general is if they have more "sloshing" of water due to van movement. Not sure if your manufacturer can build "baffles" into these, but if they can & I was in the market a "baffled" anti-slosh tank if available may win my purchase even if more expensive. Not as important in Vans as airplane gas tanks, but if you are going to the effort of "custom" design/build/sell it is just a thought (could also strengthen the tank).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Yes we are definitely going to insulate the floor but we wanted to design the tank so it fits without any flooring so it fits in every instance. We usually use 1/2" insulation and 1/2" subfloor to maximize head height. 99% of our use is in above 0 degree temps.

$175 is in USD hehe. Keeping it consistent with the other sites selling the Sprinter/Transit units.

In hindsight; Thinking about it - the way you built them is perfect for floor insulation; As one could throw the same amount of rigid insulation under the tank where the tank surrounds the metal wheelwell that could also be insulated to the same thickness as the floor structure (which is even better).

I still think they are a deal @ $175 USD considering your competition which I have seen on the internet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the space economical design of wheelwell tanks; My only concern with them in general is if they have more "sloshing" of water due to van movement. Not sure if your manufacturer can build "baffles" into these, but if they can & I was in the market a "baffled" anti-slosh tank if available may win my purchase even if more expensive. Not as important in Vans as airplane gas tanks, but if you are going to the effort of "custom" design/build/sell it is just a thought (could also strengthen the tank).
I see. So a tank that extended all the way to the back doors. Would be quite a lot of volume.. I'd estimate 40 gallons..? I brought up the topic of baffles with our manufacturer who makes a lot of RV water tanks and he said it's not needed in this size and design of tank. I haven't tested it in the wild yet but I trusted his advice.

On another note. Where did you get that sketch book? Does that have all the Promaster wheel base measurements?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I see. So a tank that extended all the way to the back doors. Would be quite a lot of volume.. I'd estimate 40 gallons..? I brought up the topic of baffles with our manufacturer who makes a lot of RV water tanks and he said it's not needed in this size and design of tank. I haven't tested it in the wild yet but I trusted his advice.

On another note. Where did you get that sketch book? Does that have all the Promaster wheel base measurements?
Yup - Real World Experience - You can not under estimate the value of it (let us all know your road results once you have tested it out)

From my Buddy SteveSS;

It is embedded on this forum somewhere, but here is the link

https://sportsmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Promaster-RBEBLB_layout2015_v1.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alcaro Plastics in Kelowna, BC
We are in the UK we make tanks specifically for the vehicle as it is the same chassis as European vehicles, we also supply the seat swivels
The tanks come with standard fittings but if anyone wanted none standard that is not a problem

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your design is superior to the Titan tanks in that your fittings are at the VERY BOTTOM of the tank. I would have bought one of these if you were around last October!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your design is superior to the Titan tanks in that your fittings are at the VERY BOTTOM of the tank. I would have bought one of these if you were around last October!
Hi
We have been making the tanks for a long time, the biggest plus is we can customizer the fittings for you, delivery cost is a bit of an issue, but if a few clubbed together it would be cheaper, you can buy the tanks with fixing brackets and sets of nut in tank fittings if you prefer that, it's worth having a look anyway

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm now eagerly awaiting my tank! This was such a timely post as we have been trying to figure out our plumbing details. The 22 gallons seems great for us as we are unlikely to be off grid for too long and gives us some extra capacity for a quick after-ride shower and spraying down the bikes, if necessary. Also, for a queen sized bed installed into an extended van, the edge of the bed will align perfectly with the front of the tank when installed on the passenger side and gives the perfect location for a partition wall to close off the garage without wasting space. Also, having some space behind the tank toward the rear will give an ideal location to mount the pump and on-demand water heater.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our Promaster build was put on hold when a client came to us to convert his Sprinter. During this time we came across water tanks that fit snugly around the wheel wells for Sprinters and Transits. These not only save under counter space where our water tanks/jugs usually go, but also make the awkward wheel wells easier to build around.

Here are the examples of the Sprinter/Transit ones:
nwconversions, Titan Vans

Unfortunately nothing specifically was available for the Promaster (as the wheel wells are considerable larger). So we did some 3D design work, created a cardboard prototype and found a local company to make a mold for us. A few weeks later we had got our first tank, added some fittings and the fit was pretty much perfect! There's even some space for soundproof and insulation. The tanks are 22 US gallons in volume and the footprint is 41 1/2" L x 13" W x 18 5/8" H

View attachment 62631 View attachment 62632

View attachment 62633 View attachment 62634
Well done my heater is there tho and I kinda like my blue jug under the sink setup
Our plan is to sell this tank on our website, but first we want some feedback from actual Promaster builders so we can optimize the design. The Sprinter/Transit companies are selling these for $300-$400 per tank. We have 5 of them available for $175 each + shipping. I can place custom fittings anywhere that's convenient for you. If interested send me a PM.

Note* The tank sits rear of wheel well on the passenger side and in front of wheel well on the driver side.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

View attachment 62635 View attachment 62636
View attachment 62637 View attachment 62638

View attachment 62639

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update that the prototype units have all been sent out. Packaging them was a bit of a nightmare.. I had to make-shift some boxes from large cardboard chunks I dug out of the recycle bin. I looked into getting some custom boxes made and they are going to be about $15 each! Ouch.. I'm trying to keep the cost down for this so I'd love to hear if anyone had a creative packaging solutions. The tanks themselves are pretty durable so I've even thought about sending them without any packaging to keep costs down.

I plan on getting more of them made after I've received feedback on the first units. If anyone is interested they can reach me below.
Email: [email protected]
Phone/text: 250-328-9361

Taylor

1 - 20 of 70 Posts