Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cross shopping the Ram promaster and the ford transit and thought this would be a good place to put up the specs we find side by side. Heres a collection of the information im working with to this point. Anyone else with information please chip in.

- Both European sourced with efficient gasoline and diesel engine options
- Safety dwarfs old tin can vans
- Both equipped with modern navigation/infotainment systems

Structure

Promaster: Unibody
Transit: Unibody

Suspension

Promaster:

front double-A-arm coil springs while the rear suspension incorporates a conventional beam axle and leaf-spring

Transit:

front suspension uses MacPherson struts and a stabilizer bar, while leaf springs and a traditional solid axle hold up the rear. A departure from the E-Series, which utilized a twin-I-beam setup dated to 1965

Drive

Promaster: FWD
Transit: RWD

Engines

Promaster:
3.6L V6 280 hp, 258 lb-ft of torque
3.0L 4-cylinder EcoDiesel 174 hp, 295 lb-ft of torque

Transit :
3.7L DOHC V6 302 hp, 278 lb-ft of torque
3.5L Twin Turbo V6 365 hp, 420 lb-ft of torque
3.2L Turbo Diesel I-5 197hp, 347 lb-ft of Torque

MPG

N/A for both vehicles, but expect them both in the 20-25 mpg range

GVWR

The ProMaster can tow up to 5,100 pounds. The gross vehicle weight rating is 11,500 for the V6 and 12,500 for the diesel

Ford has not released actual numbers for the Transit but their website says payloads in excess of 5,000 pounds and GVWRs range from 8,600 to 10,360 pounds

Configurations and Capacity

Promaster

Available in 1500, 2500 and 3500 setup
promaster specs.png

Transit

Available in 150, 250, 350 and 350HD setup
transit specs.png

Are we missing anything noteworthy here? These are just the specifications im using in my decision there may be other qualities y'all are judging based on, if so what are they?

·
Registered
363 Posts
seems like the promaster is much more work friendly with the low floor height without the extra step up like the ford, seeing how it's mainly a commercial vehicle I think business owners will be more inclined to go with the promaster.

when you have people going in and out of a vehicle constantly that extra step can get annoying

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would still go for the promaster because of the taller door height on the rear. It makes it a **** of a lot eaier to load heavier cargo.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have read that RAM literature is incorrect in specifying double A-arm front suspension. It may only be MacPherson strut.

In fact the FIAT UK Commercial site states:
independent, McPherson type with track control arms,
coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers and anti-roll bar

Complete, and I mean complete, specs here:
(you may have to register to view):
http://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/uk/CMSEN/Pdf/Ducato_Goods_Tech_Spe.pdf

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would still go for the promaster because of the taller door height on the rear. It makes it a **** of a lot eaier to load heavier cargo.
also to add the hinges on the rear doors allow it to swing fully open allowing the doors to sit flush with the body, that's a big plus! no doors to get in your way!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What will be interesting is when GM brings over the Boxer as a rebaged chevy/gmc van. The Boxer is just a rebadged version of the ducato. With GM and Ram having ducato sourced van how much do you think brand prefence plays between the promaster and chevy version?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What will be interesting is when GM brings over the Boxer as a rebaged chevy/gmc van. The Boxer is just a rebadged version of the ducato. With GM and Ram having ducato sourced van how much do you think brand prefence plays between the promaster and chevy version?
Ram did a lot of modifications to bring the Ducato to the US market. I wonder what Chevy will do to the Boxer. I would assume the Boxer is just a badge engineered Ducato. It will be interesting if the Chevy is just a badge engineered PM or if they do their own development work.

·
Registered
654 Posts
FIAT owns the Ducato design, there is probabily a non compete clause which precludes GM from selling the Boxer here. Marchionne would never allow it, imo.
Plus the Promaster is built in Mexico, GM would have to import?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FIAT owns the Ducato design, there is probabily a non compete clause which precludes GM from selling the Boxer here. Marchionne would never allow it, imo.
Plus the Promaster is built in Mexico, GM would have to import?
Why would he never allow it? If GM is prepared to buy Promasters/Ducatos what does Marchionne care. Even if the GM version does eat into Promaster sales GM still had to "buy" their sales from FIAT, which means FIAT would make money on every Promaster and GM Panda sold. Pretty good racket if you ask me...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is a visual of the floor height comparison.
That lower floor height just makes things so much easier especially for those of you who have to carry things while stepping in. Not only does it make it easier for accessibility but frees up room up top.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree that it would make Marchionne money, but unlike Europe where FIAT did a joint manufacturing and sales agreements with Citroen/Peugeot to sell the van with different nameplates, they did it to leverage the dealership infrastructure to maximize the market penetration in those individual countries.

Here in the USA, chances are, if there is a GMC dealer, there will be a RAM dealer close by.

Also GM seems to be making deals with Nissan for their vans.

One possibility exists, is that a deal with GM could be made for Latin and South American sales; but again I doubt that since FIAT has a big presence in those markets.

Why would he never allow it? If GM is prepared to buy Promasters/Ducatos what does Marchionne care. Even if the GM version does eat into Promaster sales GM still had to "buy" their sales from FIAT, which means FIAT would make money on every Promaster and GM Panda sold. Pretty good racket if you ask me...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree that it would make Marchionne money, but unlike Europe where FIAT did a joint manufacturing and sales agreements with Citroen/Peugeot to sell the van with different nameplates, they did it to leverage the dealership infrastructure to maximize the market penetration in those individual countries.

Here in the USA, chances are, if there is a GMC dealer, there will be a RAM dealer close by.

Also GM seems to be making deals with Nissan for their vans.

One possibility exists, is that a deal with GM could be made for Latin and South American sales; but again I doubt that since FIAT has a big presence in those markets.
GM owns 7% of Peugeot, so the move is not entirely random. and FIAT and Peugeot developed the ducato TOGETHER, so I don't think FIAT has a say in the matter considering the design is partially Peugeots..

GMs commercial vans are aging and they need a modern solution, the reason they bought Peugeot was to ease costs associated with vehicle dev and production, it certainly seems this is an application of that partnership.

already in Europe the Ducato and Boxer share the same streets as well as an Opel version that rolls around.

We're going to have a promaster and a GM boxer weather we like it or not, its just the nature of a severely commingled auto industry...

Oh and as for the Nissan thing, GM is sourcing Nissan vans but only the smaller one to compete with the Ford Transit Connect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GM owns 7% of Peugeot, so the move is not entirely random. and FIAT and Peugeot developed the ducato TOGETHER, so I don't think FIAT has a say in the matter considering the design is partially Peugeots..

GMs commercial vans are aging and they need a modern solution, the reason they bought Peugeot was to ease costs associated with vehicle dev and production, it certainly seems this is an application of that partnership.

already in Europe the Ducato and Boxer share the same streets as well as an Opel version that rolls around.

We're going to have a promaster and a GM boxer weather we like it or not, its just the nature of a severely commingled auto industry...

Oh and as for the Nissan thing, GM is sourcing Nissan vans but only the smaller one to compete with the Ford Transit Connect.
Well it was a matter of time till things go for a turn. Seeing how fiat is slowly making its way back to north america it doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it was a matter of time till things go for a turn. Seeing how fiat is slowly making its way back to north america it doesn't surprise me.
It will certainly make the used parts industry valuable in a couple of years. When these trucks start to get used or replaced in 5-10 years we should see a flood of good used parts, and CHEAP.

I wonder if a GM dealer would service a Promaster when they bring over the GM Boxer or whatever name they're giving it, or vice versa at a RAM dealer...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts