Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the new Dodge Ram Promaster versus the Ford Transit Connect?

I think the Transit Connect may have the US market already won at this point. Its going to be hard for a Fiat product to come over with a Ram badge and suddenly win over Americans.

The Promaster ideally needs to be a great little work van. I would use it for my restaurant food delivery business (we deliver food to the restaurants) and it needs to be easy to park, easy to get in and out of, and lightweight/nimble. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a cube van!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
What are your thoughts on the new Dodge Ram Promaster versus the Ford Transit Connect?

I think the Transit Connect may have the US market already won at this point. Its going to be hard for a Fiat product to come over with a Ram badge and suddenly win over Americans.

The Promaster ideally needs to be a great little work van. I would use it for my restaurant food delivery business (we deliver food to the restaurants) and it needs to be easy to park, easy to get in and out of, and lightweight/nimble. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a cube van!!!
You are kidding right?

It's like comparing a 125cc dirt bike to a 450cc dirt bike and saying the 125 is in the same class.
The smallest promaster is more than twice the transit connect size!
One plllet (about 5 inches shy of 2) and 1500 lb max for the transit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For sure, you can't really compare the two. The Promaster is twice the vehicle the Transit Connect is..

For your restaurant delivery use, you'd be much better off with the Transit Connect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For sure, you can't really compare the two. The Promaster is twice the vehicle the Transit Connect is..

For your restaurant delivery use, you'd be much better off with the Transit Connect.
We had a Transit Connect and it was what you are asking for.
Easy to park, easy to get in and out of, and lightweight/nimble.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good point, there's no way of comparing these, with vehicles like this size determines all. You get a size that's inline with what you're hauling needs are.

What are some top things you guys look for when deciding which cargo van to get?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Transit Connect is essentially a Ford Focus in a van body - just like the Nissan NV200 is essentially a Sentra in a van body.

The upcoming ProMaster City will be in the same size class as Transit Connect and NV200 - but it's not out yet.

The upcoming Transit (not Connect!) will be in the same size class as ProMaster and Sprinter - but it's not out yet!

Can't compare a compact van to a full size ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Transit Connect is essentially a Ford Focus in a van body - just like the Nissan NV200 is essentially a Sentra in a van body.

The upcoming ProMaster City will be in the same size class as Transit Connect and NV200 - but it's not out yet.

The upcoming Transit (not Connect!) will be in the same size class as ProMaster and Sprinter - but it's not out yet!

Can't compare a compact van to a full size ...
Yeah, what he said!

I've been waiting for a couple years now for the Transit and we are done waiting.
We are getting our first Promaster this week.
:D

·
Registered
423 Posts

The big question is how much food are you delivering at a time ...

On the "easy to park", "easy in and out", and "lightweight/nimble" factors, no full-size van is going to be good. If you don't need either the load capacity or the interior volume of a full size van, the smaller vehicles (any of them - Transit Connect, NV200, Ram cargo minivan, etc) will work better for you. So will the Promaster City, when it eventually shows up.

Friend of mine has a Transit Connect for his water softener maintenance business, and he loves it (and uses it as his personal vehicle, too).

I'm going full-size because none of the smaller vans will fit two motorcycles inside with all the stuff that goes along with them ... and I don't need it as a daily driver; I have another much smaller car that is perfect for that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Transit Connect short 104.8" wheel base has a 36.1 foot turning circle
The ProMaster short 118.0" wheel base has a 36.3 foot turning circle

Well, Well, Well, Mr alarmguy, ya missed it by "THAT MUCH" AKA just under 2.5 inches.
Thats a bent rim from your U-turn hitting the other curb!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For kicks I been comparing the 118 inch WB promaster to the 2014 ford transit connect long wheel base...the ford's WB is 2.5 inches longer than the promaster, but the overall length between the two is almost the same, promaster being about 2.5 inches longer in overall length. The one big difference is the overall width the promaster is 21.8 inches wider mirror to mirror, and the loaded rear overall height the promaster is 15.9 inches taller..not a huge difference.

Cargo capacity of promaster 283.3 cubic feet...connect 128.6 cubic feet that's over double the space in a very similar footprint...well in overall length and turning radius anyhow.

I just find the smaller cargo vans are all front door and hood. The promaster city would be a better comparison to the connect but if a person could deal with the wider profile and slightly taller height don't rule out the 118 WB promaster.

The reason i'am comparing is I want better cargo space than a mini van but a much smaller foot print than my 136" WB 07 sprinter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought 2 promasters to replace 2 Ford Transit Connects. Personally, I'll never buy another Ford product ever again. This is my opinion based on the 2 transits and 2 F250's, Fords are garbage. I replaced the trannys in all of the above listed Fords at low mileage and always light loads being hauled. The transit both had less than 40k on them, and had numerous problems. They are very cheaply made and depreciate quickly.

The promasters that I now own are wonderful. Checked out the (hideous) Nissan NV as well as the new transit. I made the right choice for sure.

If you're gonna get a transit connect, beware, and read the consumer reviews.

Both my PM's are Black, and they definitely look slick. Turn a lot of heads.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just bought 2 promasters to replace 2 Ford Transit Connects. Personally, I'll never buy another Ford product ever again. This is my opinion based on the 2 transits and 2 F250's, Fords are garbage. I replaced the trannys in all of the above listed Fords at low mileage and always light loads being hauled. The transit both had less than 40k on them, and had numerous problems. They are very cheaply made and depreciate quickly.

The promasters that I now own are wonderful. Checked out the (hideous) Nissan NV as well as the new transit. I made the right choice for sure.

If you're gonna get a transit connect, beware, and read the consumer reviews.

Both my PM's are Black, and they definitely look slick. Turn a lot of heads.

Cool. love my deep red, get tons of attention...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I notice in the picture above (black 118WB van), there appears to be a center high-mounted brake lamp instead of the center (fifth) clearance light that I've seen on ProMasters so far. There are plenty of "RAM" badges visible, so it's not a picture of a Ducato.

Has anyone seen one with a center brake light in person?

·
Registered
399 Posts
It don't understand the comparison here. Connect is more comparable to Caravan. If I didn't need the height of Promaster or Transit (not the Connect), hands-down I'd pick the Caravan. You can buy one for no more than a Connect costs ($22K for an SE with 30th aniversary package) and it's way more vehicle. I wouldn't even get the Ram C/V. All the space available in the Grand Caravan's stow-n-go floor wells is wasted in the C/V. Just buy a GC and remove the middle and/or rear seats. You have lots of underfloor space then.

I'll probably feel the same way about the City vs Caravan. What's the point of the city unless you really want a 4 cyl? EPA ratings on the Connect are only 2 mpg better than Caravan. I doubt City will be much different. However, if they don't come out with a low-cost Town and Country to replace the Caravan (assuming rumors of it's demise are true), the equation will change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
Daniel Doucet
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing