71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pro promaster(gas)
1) cheaper price
2) cheaper oil
3) no fuel filter change hassles
4) nice overhead bin over cab
5) nice built-in roof bolts for racks
6) good mlge (avg 19hgwy - 17 w/ signals, freq stops.
7) no expensive mb parts and scarce mb dealers
8) free 1 yr subscription to sirius radio (love 71 and 125)
9) can get gas in Mexico or in SA

pro sprinter
1) comfortable seats (if promaster comfy swivels become available can replace painful seats)
2) more rugged (promaster sounds like bucket of bolts going over bumps - guess insulation and grease on doors will lessen this)
3) better roof and side wall ribs (promaster has all these molded sheet steel ribs - nothing uniform)
4) no obnoxious beeping alarms (promaster seat belt alarms give me headaches (although I always wear a seat belt driving) but whenever turn on alt the beeping starts
5) usb and 12v plugs work w/o having to insert key and turn on alt (promaster requires this and runs headlights while alt is on - how's that for "stealth")
6) mb gives an extra full ignition key fob
7) more solid cab floor (promaster rubber is sinking)
8) more useful pockets, cup holders in cab
9) privacy glass in back windows - more tinted windshield/side
10) windows worked without key in (when parked and someone comes over, with promaster, have to put in key, turn on alt - get screeching alarm)
11) nice, more solid cargo area floor
12) nicer wheel wells (promaster has awkward flanges - more tin)
13) diesel engine will last 500K plus
14) diesel gets Pilot shower points
15) diesel allows bunk heater w/o propane or explosive gas
16) extra space under hood for aux battery - offers compatible isolator package
17) mb 179 gives more cargo area room (159 promaster a bit short)
18) more undercoating
19) more ground clearance

biggest problems with sprinter are from US/NAFTA tariffs requiring reassembly in US and fit/finish problems due to that and moronic EPA Blue Tec / DPF expensive equipment and complicated sensors

Moral: need to move out of USA and buy non-NAFTA Sprinter or sneak one in and be illegal).

·
Registered
184 Posts
The most important factor that separates the PM from the MB is front wheel drive!! Handling is far superior in my opinion. The PM diesel gets much better milage and personally the 6 way adjustable seats are far more comfortable. I test drove and researched all three Vans, MB, Transit and PM and chose the PM. Very satisfied with my choice after 2k miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Likewise test all three kept coming back to the PM. Handling is phenomenal for such a large box on wheels. Having said that, the Sprinter I had was awesome. The 4 cylinder diesel and the 7Speed Gtronic trans was great too. Fit and finish was better as well but the initial price less any options was off the charts. Also, did not want a diesel with my driving habits the payoff was too far down the road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fwd - good point
and yes, cost is significantly less with Promaster

things I forgot:

pro promaster:
front wheel drive for snow, mud

pro sprinter
brakes don't squel like a pig (promaster brake screeching is really bad)

re mlge - I've been told, sprinter outside of NAFTA / Blue Tec, the Sprinters get about 28mpg (maybe some non-US resident can confirm).

both PM and Sprinter drive easy.

Trying to put up walls, PM interior framing is terrible - can't find a straight surface anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
I wouldn't go back to my Sprinter for anything! After 28k miles I love everything about it (and my brakes don't squeak because I did the simple and very inexpensive fix)!

I wouldn't wish a Sprinter on anyone (well there are a few people that deserve one but no one is perfect);)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Outside NAFTA there is the Ram Promaster cousin, the Iveco Daily (before 2011 was part of Fait, than they demerged "industrial" activities and became CNH Industrial).
It is RWD, has separated frame, the diesel engines are mounted longitudinally (same as Fiat Ducato / Ram Promaster). It can be ordered with manual 6 speed (ZF) and two autoamtics ZF 6 speed or ZF 8 speeds (same as, for example, in RAM 1500).
It allow greater payload and charge volume in van or chassi versions. It is more difficult to drive than a Ram Promaster and it is more expensive than a Fiat Ducato.
It is available with power take off (only on manual a 6 speed automatic).

And there is also a special 4x4 version.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
To get the same cargo space in the Sprinter you need to be 3 feet longer bumper to bumper.
Promaster 3 inches wider at floor 6 inches at shoulder 8 inches head level. Sprinter is
a very skinny van. The walls slope inwards.
The flange on the wheel wells is for upfitting (bonus).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts