Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to see the Promaster City yesterday to compare to the Promaster. I haven't bought the Promaster because of two concerns. In my mid 50's and planning to drive which ever I buy for 8 years as my daily driver, the entry height and size of the Promaster are bothering me.

I need a van for camping and regional travel for up to seven days. The Promaster would work as is; the Promaster City would require the use of a small cargo trailer or teardrop type camper.

Any insights or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,029 Posts
I'm almost 72 and I use my Promaster for everyday driving and camping, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The ProMaster is my daily driver at age 60.

I think friends at the office were shocked by my new daily driver :D

Truth is, the ProMaster is more comfortable, and easier to park, than my old fancy leather interior pickup truck. And probably easier than the Suburbans all those soccer moms drive around in.

Only drawback, is all the low hanging trees my roof scrapes.

·
Registered
970 Posts
In america, unless you live in tiny sections of new york, chicago, or san francisco, you pay absolutly no penalty for vehicle size. The
Pm turning circle is the same as a honda accord, so the pmc is overkill. Other than purchase price and fuel economy, theres no reason to have a small vehicle.

Aside from the hassle and theft potential of towing a small trailer, id guess that towing with the pmc would equalize the fuel economy issue. I belueve the pmc gets 30hwy, but i seem to recall the reviewers complained it was underpowered. If so, even towing less than 1000lbs will drop its mileage to near twenty.

Price too is closer than you might think. I believed a full zoot pmc not stripped for cargo is something like 24 or 25k. In pm, i would think youll get a 2500 high roof non-extended for around 30 or 31. If you are short, get a low roof 1500 for around 27 or 28.

I know you dont really car, but
Resale will be much higher on the pm vs pmc.

Seems a no brainer to me. There is no other vehicle except the transit that does what you are asking at a reasonable price. Except maybe a used van based motor home.

·
Super Moderator
9,029 Posts
The wonderful thing is you can go anyway you please and it will be fine as long as you are happy!

·
Registered
338 Posts
So I got to see the Promaster City yesterday to compare to the Promaster. I haven't bought the Promaster because of two concerns. In my mid 50's and planning to drive which ever I buy for 8 years as my daily driver, the entry height and size of the Promaster are bothering me.

I need a van for camping and regional travel for up to seven days. The Promaster would work as is; the Promaster City would require the use of a small cargo trailer or teardrop type camper.

I think a can best answer this question. I drove/drive a Transit Connect for 4+ years great big little van. Easy to park, decent fuel economy, easy maintenance and so on. The biggest problem is when you start loading "stuff"you run out of floor space real quick. My thinking is, you can never have enough room/space to store you or your "stuff" in or around. I would purchase the PM price is not much more than the city, and you can get a great deal on a left over 2014.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I too have owned a 2012 Transit Connect before my Promaster.
And GMG Safari with a v6 prior and a Ford Aerostar prior.
All were daily drivers as well as loads, passengers and sleeping once in a while (2 people).
All were fine vehicles except the Transit Connect was seriously underpowered.
I got the fast, big Promaster now. 136" wheelbase low roof.
I'm 6 foot tall and use this van as Ive done all my other ones except that I haven't put a trailer hitch on it yet. No need so far.
Size matters.. Gas mileage is very acceptable.
I haven't looked back. This Promaster is the perfect van for me so far.. I find that its better to have more room than needed as you cannot make more if and when you need it.
For me, the PM is my choice.
good luck deciding

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
....cut......

Are there vehicles in the middle that would fit your needs? The City I saw at auto show was much lower and easier to enter and exit, but was also very small. To me it seemed smaller than most minivans. I would personally take a minivan over the PMC.

Regarding the ProMaster, have you tried using a driver-side step? On my large Ford van the step makes a lot of difference. Without the side step my parents couldn't get in at all.

Since you may not find a van at dealer with running boards to try out, you can take a portable plastic step to simulate the running boards in order to see if it helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is a review by TFL-Trucks.Subject,the three new mini(?) european vans: the Nissan NV 200,Ford's transit Connect,and the new Ram PMC.Please note,the Ram PMC tested was actually the new PMC Wagon.That's why Romans remark for the price difference between the rest and the PMC.Evidently he didn't know the difference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcB1WORs9NI

·
Registered
84 Posts
I compared the PM and the ford transit connect before going with the PM. For me the low roof 118 wheel base PM is perfect. Great turning radius. Unless there is a compelling reason for height, the low roof about 5'-6" clear inside is plenty. It has over 8' of length. It is a hoot to drive. The only downside is there are few if any garages that can handle the height so it is fully outdoor parking. The transit connect is not industrial grade enough for me. I suspect the PMC is the same.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The first gen transit connect was built in turkey on the previous generation focus. I have an 09 focus, and i compared them - lots of common parts. This is a good thing, because the older a platform is the more likely it is to have the bugs worked out.
The newer transit connect is based on the current focus, as is the cmax.

The pmc is either going to be a huge hit or a huge flop. It should pick up on the sales of other "cubes", namely the kia soul, element, cube etc. i dont think it will because it looks too truck-like, but you never know. Id take it over a minivan, unless i had a lot of passengers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
We're looking at the PMC for friends that need a dog hauling vehicle, but also don't want the minivan. Enough room inside to carry a few crates and a bit of either show or agility stuff, but still be on the small side for a vehicle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here is a much better review also on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MiRWYMALM

I agree, the TFL guys to me are entertainers, not reviewers. I hate the editing and the way they break up their videos.
This guy above is much more to the point and gives the facts, not a bunch of mush and music..
I enjoyed his early review of a Ducato with diesel posted early last year....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree, the TFL guys to me are entertainers, not reviewers. I hate the editing and the way they break up their videos.
This guy above is much more to the point and gives the facts, not a bunch of mush and music..
I enjoyed his early review of a Ducato with diesel posted early last year....
Lol....yeah,the guys on tfl trucks try to act like they're rock stars,and they ain't.But Roman,the guy that did the review for the PMC is a real jerk,and really doesn't know much about the products he's reviewing,and that equates to his reviews meaning very little and a waste of time.

·
Registered
82 Posts

I am awaiting my 136LR 1500. I will be taking a beating on my trade in, a 2014 Nissan NV200, but it is not working for me. I was looking for a daily driver that I could transport four dogs in and have room to take a nap while at dog events, or while in route to locations requiring more than one day of driving. Renting a hotel room at night while traveling with 4 dogs is a PITA!

Then I looked at the PM. Originally I was going to order the 118 WB. It is easy to drive and maneuver ..actually fun to drive.... but I decided to go with the 136 because it will give me more flexibility. It is still just about as easy to drive as the 118. The turning radius is a just a bit better on the 118 than the other lengths..36 vs 40. The PM will also provide way more aftermarket options if you are considering things such as an A/C with generator, fan, etc. to make it more user friendly for your stated uses.

The down sides are:

1. Won't fit in the average residential garage.
2. Too tall for the majority of parking garages, if not all.
3. Yea, ok, it's a little effort to get in and out of, but I'm 5'2" and shrinking. I have a set of running boards that I think will make a big difference. Just so you don't think I'm some young whippersnapper, I am also in the 50+ category!

At first I thought the Nissan was going to be just what I wanted. I do like that it fits in my garage. But after driving the PM, I feel claustrophobic in the Nissan!! I think the PMC does have the Nissan by a few inches in length, but nothing that is going to change your life.

Anyway, go test drive a PM. I think you may really like the 118WB for your needs. BTW, I would recommend either buying it with the sliding door glass or have a window installed aftermarket. I added windows in the sliding doors of my NV200 for visibility just as much as ventilation for the dogs. It made a huge difference in feeling comfortable driving it!

Good Luck,
Susan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for your 2 cents. I wish they would bring over the PMC high roof version with small diesel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts