Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was frustrated & disappointed by all the delays & disparities between Ram's PR & reality. Online & in sales literature it looked like you could just saunter into any Ram dealer & order a ProMaster passenger van 18 months ago. Dealers still can't tell me when I'd be able to order one.

Ford Transit was little better, but I started seeing the 1st window/passenger wagons by the end of April. Enterprise rentals had the very 1st WHITE wagon I saw & by now I've seen ~7 of which 3 weren't white. Ford also can't tell me anything about the '16 Transit.

Did my best to search & had dealers search for me, but couldn't find anything close to what I wanted. Looked in New England, all the way out to MI & South to DC. Will have to wait until '16 information is released & orders can be placed.

Am still torn. Really like the ProMaster FWD layout, but think the Transit is better made/finished. Am still annoyed that Ford dumped their FWD for our version of Transit. Would've been a No Brainer if they'd brought the European FWD manual 6 speed Transit in.

Bought my 4th Econoline Club Wagon to bridge the gap.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I hear you on the change Ford made. I have to say my first week with my PM diesel has been great and I have not found issues of build quality and the driving is GREAT TOO. I am a lifetime Ford owner and sold my latest F150 to buy the Promaster. I loved my Fords but the transit looks ugly, has no innovation except height and they wanted $6000 for a diesel! NO BRAINER. Oops am I yelling?

·
Registered
338 Posts
No issues here except leaking radiator-fixed. Went to the Ford dealer to look at at the Transits in person before buying my PM just to cover all the bases. I didn't even have to test drive one walked away shaking my head said to my self "what where they thinking"? Overall, I made the best choice no regrets.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Why did you think that?
Here we go: It's ugly. Even compared to the PM. The low roof is the same size as the previous E series vans. The medium roof version I can barely stand up in and I am 6'1''. The tall roof version is ridiculously over height and looks unbalanced. All the Transits are narrow. The dash looks like something out of a space ship way too cluttered/buttons etc.. Rear wheel drive? I don't understand why they wouldn't offer a FWD version of it as well. Ford doesn't offer a double passenger seat nor a partition as options. I have had E series vans for years, but Ford swung and missed on this one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...Went to the Ford dealer to look at at the Transits in person before buying my PM just to cover all the bases. I didn't even have to test drive one walked away shaking my head said to my self "what where they thinking"? ...
Sums up my reaction too. So many disappointments it would take pages to list them all. The only reason I'm still considering Transit is the lack of RAM dealers (The Dodge dealer in my town is not RAM). I've also seen a couple in colors other darker, metallic colors and they don't look nearly as ugly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO the "ugly" factor is a toss up between ProMaster & Transit. Neither will win a beauty contest. Still wonder if they use the same windshields? And don't like the copy cat tall narrow door glass. Find the driving position/seat is significantly better in Transit.

Here we go: It's ugly. Even compared to the PM. The low roof is the same size as the previous E series vans.
However, I don't know how you concluded the LR Transit "is the same size as the previous E series" - THEY AREN'T.

I've parked my Club Wagon side by side w/the LR Transit & it's plainly bigger in all dimensions. The published specs do not lie.

Was also frustrated by the capricious way Ram truck dealers get to sell ProMasters. Both big glitzy Ram dealers in my area don't sell ProMaster.

Have concluded parts & service would be better with Transit since both Ford dealers in area sell them. Also like the fact Transit is made in USA.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have had 4 Econolines, 3 of which have been Club Wagons & an F150. Used them as field vehicles, to haul cargo, as tow vehicles & most importantly as Steel Tents for many cross country & fishing trips. Have had very good service. Have never opened the Dog House on current Ford.

My main experience w/Chrysler products was my parent's early 70's Challenger which was a POS. Most recent experience was when I was considering the Utilimaster Aeromate step van based on Chrysler Caravan mechanicals. The horror stories about component failures & the scarcity of replacements was very discouraging.

Drove FWD cars for 30+ years starting w/SAABs, then Citroens & finally Geo (Chevy) Metros. Wanted Fiat 242 FWD step van since back in late 70's.

ProMaster appeared well before Transit, but clearly lost the race to launch window/passenger vans. May still reconsider building/installing interior in an empty cargo ProMaster, but dealer's Year End search came up empty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I test drove 2 ford transits, 3 promasters, and borrowed a friends sprinter for a day before deciding on a PM. To get the interior room I was looking for the conversion, I would have had to buy the long sprinter or long transit. Sprinter was a great driving rig, but cost of maint and starter cash flow was the deciding factor not to buy it. Test driving the transit seemed to be like a big sail. The freeway in Washington has Big Rig ruts, and I noticed each one. I liked the dash, but it was a no go.

PM: First off, front wheel drive. Excellent...
Took it up one of our tallest steepest hills in the area and floored it. Perfect...
Widest footprint on the road.
Widest door entry in the industry.
Lower rear bumper height.
159" was perfect interior dimensions for my conversion.
Dodge dealer close by.
Options I wanted plus company discount.

After buying the 159" gas pm with 6000miles under my belt
Plenty of power all the time.
Great gas mileage for a gas rig. On flat freeway = 20.4 Hauling a 6x10 enclosed trailer over a mtn pass = 15.5
Drives straight down the road like a front wheel drive car.
Built garage to haul dirt bikes at main pillar behind slider door. Without having to put a jog my interior wall.
Room in front of garage for sofa bed with a couple feet to spare.
Great price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2016 Promasters will start showing up at dealers by the end of this month. I went to my local dealer on Saturday and he showed me his orders sheet.

2016s can be ordered, but be warned that my salesman said they're taking 5 months from order to arrival. Your dealer can show you all options/pricing. I'll be putting my order in the next few weeks unless Ford announces FWD or Chevy brings out their Transit/Promaster competitor. (I understand the latter is 3 - 4 years away and thus isn't a realistic possibility)

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I'll give you the final reasons to choose each of the three:

Sprinter:
1. Impressing your friends, clients, employees, etc. with the Mercedes badge is important.
2. You need a large passenger van

Transit:
1. You need to tow a heavy trailer.
2. You need a large passenger van but you can't afford the Sprinter.
3. You need a fast van.

Promaster:
1. All other reasons to need a van.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I'll give you the final reasons to choose each of the three:

Sprinter:
1. Impressing your friends, clients, employees, etc. with the Mercedes badge is important.
2. You need a large passenger van

Transit:
1. You need to tow a heavy trailer.
2. You need a large passenger van but you can't afford the Sprinter.
3. You need a fast van.

Promaster:
1. All other reasons to need a van.
Dang! you nailed it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Promaster will not work for those who have to drive off road regularly and need a 4x4 .
Sprinter makes and sells a 4x4.
Quigley is converting Transits to 4x4.

·
Registered
399 Posts
..I've parked my Club Wagon side by side w/the LR Transit & it's plainly bigger in all dimensions...
What specs are you talking about? Rear and side door heights are nearly identical. Cargo length is only 1" - 2" longer in Transit. About the only thing significantly larger is the door opening width. Econoline opened up as wide as the wheel wells so I'm not seeing much benefit there. Overall Transit is about 3" longer and 2" wider but that doesn't seem to translate to the load area.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Was frustrated & disappointed by all the delays & disparities between Ram's PR & reality. Online & in sales literature it looked like you could just saunter into any Ram dealer & order a ProMaster passenger van 18 months ago. Dealers still can't tell me when I'd be able to order one.

Ford Transit was little better, but I started seeing the 1st window/passenger wagons by the end of April. Enterprise rentals had the very 1st WHITE wagon I saw & by now I've seen ~7 of which 3 weren't white. Ford also can't tell me anything about the '16 Transit.

Did my best to search & had dealers search for me, but couldn't find anything close to what I wanted. Looked in New England, all the way out to MI & South to DC. Will have to wait until '16 information is released & orders can be placed.

Am still torn. Really like the ProMaster FWD layout, but think the Transit is better made/finished. Am still annoyed that Ford dumped their FWD for our version of Transit. Would've been a No Brainer if they'd brought the European FWD manual 6 speed Transit in.

Bought my 4th Econoline Club Wagon to bridge the gap.
What is it that "Ford" can't tell you about the '16 Transit? The info is all over the web, they've been taking orders now for weeks, production started early last week.
Not much differences between the '15 and '16 so far. Biggest is the availability of the driver's side slider, and a couple paint colors. There are some trim changes also in the wagon versions.

Questions? Stop by the Ford USA Transit forum and look up "crewvanman". He's a Ford insider....

·
Registered
399 Posts
…ProMaster appeared well before Transit, but clearly lost the race to launch window/passenger vans...
Sadly, I don't think RAM has any interest doing passenger vans. I'm guessing they don't want to have to certify them for rear passengers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts