Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks. This is the first reference I've seen to final drive ratios being different:
1500 3.16
2500 3.43
3500 3.86
Is that still true? I don't recall it coming up in discussions here. It will reduce gas mileage a bit, which further supports the consensus: there is no advantage to a 3500 unless you need the EXT option, like I do. Sadly, now I know I'll never post the highest gas mileage.
How about fun per gallon?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the ratios have not changed.

Looking at the GVWR, GCWR, curb weight, payload and GAWR numbers there is not a big difference.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thought I remember early discussions where folks compared RPMs at the same speed between models, all the same.

I think those different ratios were published in REAL early promotional material and continue to get used. If they were that different, I wouldn't expect any of the 3500s to get the same highway mileage as a 1500.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I have a FCA Specification sheet that shows all the ratios as the same for Diesel. A different one for all the Gas. But only one for each.

Reactions: SteveSS

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RD I'm confused about your post,

I agree all diesels gear ratios and final drive ratio is the same regardless of model.

Your second image and your statement about the gas version I'm trying to figure out.

I went to the Ram Promaster build page the final drive ratios are as followed;

1500 is 3.16
2500 is 3.43
3500 is 3.86

All the information that I can find indicates that the transmission gear ratios are the same whether it's a Dodge, Chrysler or Ram product. If anyone knows something different please educate me.

RD, I think we are saying the same thing, I just want to remove my confusion.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
My .PDF is for 2015 and has sections for 1500, 2500, and 3500 when the specs are different like GVW but one column when they are all the same. It was put out by FCA media as you can see. I’ll try sending it to you as posting a long .PDF is a pain. Expect a PM. Post up your source url if possible. Having a diesel I have no dog in this! Be careful as RAM 1500 means a pickup truck NOT a promaster.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I am convinced Phil has it right on the ratios of the gas PM. His post #9 above convinced me that FCA thinks they are different. BTW Chrysler has been sued by owners who were sold a truck which did not have the ratio it was supposed to. PM vans- not so much. Thanks given for the clarification Phil

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what a mess, now the 2017 build page is messed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts