Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
That is some seriously long chassis. It must be custom lowered and lengthened.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
nice! There is a preschool around here that has a converted promaster, but it's not like that. That's neat.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,243 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our local bus drivers often act like out of control screaming ********. They run stop signs and lights and TAKE right of way before even checking to see if everyone is yielding to them. The accidents are awful. Now this would just give them a tool to take corners even faster and embolden them! Yeesh.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
How do they get that 9”?
In Europe there are companies like Al-Ko that modify Ducato cutaway chassis (our PRoMaster) by building an all-new chassis from cab back. Since it's FWD it's fairly easy to accomplish.

Al-Ko also builds an independent rear suspension which makes a lower floor possible.

I had read that they were going to expand to North America, but I'm not sure if this school bus is even one of their products. Other companies do the same, and I'm sure a NA company can also replicate their success.

Also, the school bus appears to have a step up where the rear axle is located, suggesting it has a standard PM leaf-spring axle. By the way, the entire floor doesn't appear at 9". I think that may be a first step; maybe part of ramp?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,243 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Overall a good use of Promaster, but I think they are making some bad marketing claims for the ramp.

The absence of a lift also means less opportunities for a ‘down bus’ due to mechanical issues with a lift
The conventional hydraulic fold-out lifts are very reliable. Telescoping ramps are much more prone to failure. That's based on lots of postings on handicap forums and owning one of each myself. Hydraulic fold-outs work in any weather and survive salted roads.

empowers students to board on their own through the same door as all the other students ... Additionally, passengers that utilize a support device (i.e. walker) can now board on their own.
I see no railings on the ramp. I think the first time someone drives a power wheelchair over the edge and tips over they lawyers will have a field day.

Time is Money – with the flip of a switch, the bus driver can deploy the low-profile ramp in SECONDS versus minutes it takes to deploy and re-stow a lift.
The bus driver is responsible for properly tying down a wheelchair or stowing walkers and such. They will still need to get out of the seat and spend minutes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
im an expeditor, i would love to have all that room. at 200" wheelbase it is 30" longer than my 07 sprinter. I love lots of things about my promaster, length is not one of them. I would wish for something this big

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
There are now at least three companies making vans over 24 feet long. Maybe Fiat will stretch the Ducato to compete with these Mega-size vans when they do their next major Ducato redesign.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,243 Posts
Just poking around looking at PM shuttle buses.
Only has 2500 miles on it, looking at the rear wheel it doesn't look like it has the wider axle.
The passenger door is inop, there's a hatch for something.

Passenger seat gone, big step down

cup holder gone

·
Registered
828 Posts
Looks like storage bin accessing from outside like rv.....like no passenger seat but......looks like low ground clearance.....any idea of price?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We paid $41k for a short bus to drive interns around at our school. That was 2011 and it was on sale.
I know that school buses have different requirements than shuttle buses.
I have no idea and this is a wild guess, but I would guess they are charging $70-80k for the school bus.
We'll see if I came the closest without going over.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One high passenger version option that I saw when I was over in Ukraine uses a 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 seating set up + the driver. Entry is via the front door and the passenger seat is removed (sliding door does not open). Aisle down the center and seating as I noted. They were typically using extended Sprinters for this, but any long van can be set up this way, possibly removing one row for 16 seat capacity. This was a regular transport bus around town and for longer transport trips. Modding a stock van like this is way cheaper than building and outfitting a whole new body on a chassis. I'm really surprised that transport companies don't use things like this for routes that have lower ridership, especially given the lower cost and better mileage than the alternatives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts