Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Im very much interested in picking on of these up. One of my main concerns though is putting a car seat in it. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello All,

Im very much interested in picking on of these up. One of my main concerns though is putting a car seat in it. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?
I would say take your car seat to the dealer and see first hand if any issues exist but I doubt there would be any.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say take your car seat to the dealer and see first hand if any issues exist but I doubt there would be any.
Good idea.

I was thinking about renting one for a couple of days to test it out. Anyone know of any place renting them?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was able to take one for a 3 days test drive , put about 400 miles on it , i took it back and now i am waiting for one , if you live anywhere close to Chicago let me know i will tell you who to see so you could enjoy it for couple days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was able to take one for a 3 days test drive , put about 400 miles on it , i took it back and now i am waiting for one , if you live anywhere close to Chicago let me know i will tell you who to see so you could enjoy it for couple days.
that's amazing and the best possible thing people can do to really know if it's for them. did you test drive any other cargo vans?

·
Registered
55 Posts
i also test drove 2014 sprinter ( nothing else on the market these days to have hihger roof and economical engine) unfortunately Mercedes guys wouldn't let me test it for longer than 20 minutes plus price difference between PM and sprinter was almost $15000 . PM won the game .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not a bad suggestion to take the car seat to a dealer and test it out, however, I can not see a utility van having the safety margin that you get from a good 4 door sedan. Child seats belong in the rear and the PM doesn't have a rear passenger cabin. A PM is somewhat like a cab-over design where the engine is below rather than in front of you. Ask anyone if a cab-over design is safer in a frontal crash and they'll tell you no. Check the crash test scores first and don't put a child seat in the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can the passenger air bags be disabled? In my pickup the seat has a weight sensors that activates or deactivates them.

This is going to be my daily driver. I will need to drive my son 1 mile to daycare a couple of times a week. If its not completely safe its a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Not a bad suggestion to take the car seat to a dealer and test it out, however, I can not see a utility van having the safety margin that you get from a good 4 door sedan. Child seats belong in the rear and the PM doesn't have a rear passenger cabin. A PM is somewhat like a cab-over design where the engine is below rather than in front of you. Ask anyone if a cab-over design is safer in a frontal crash and they'll tell you no. Check the crash test scores first and don't put a child seat in the front passenger seat.
I know it was only a loose comparison to a cab-over but it caught my attention because I feel the same way when sitting in a ProMaster van; plus I'm always concerned about safety. In my case I think it's more about visual perception because I can't see the front of the van at all, so it seems like I'm driving from the very front of the van -- like I'd be the very first thing to hit in a crash.

However, the PM essentially uses the same engine/transmission as a minivan, which sits in front of the driver for the most part. In the case of the PM, the driver is indeed much higher, which gives the illusion of being directly on top of the engine, but the seats are probably almost just as far behind the engine/transmission as in most FWD vehicles. Probably a little less because legs in a PM are bent down more at knees instead of stretched out in front of body as in most cars/minivans.

Since the transmission is behind the engine, and the transmission is very near the front wheel centerline, it follows that most of the engine is ahead of the front wheel centerline. And we can see that the seats are well behind the front wheels. Also, since there is no doghouse, it also follows that the engine must be further forward relative to driver and passenger compared to traditional US vans. In my Ford Econoline, much of the engine sits further back than my feet. In the PM, I'm pretty sure all of the engine is in front of the driver's feet.

Whether this makes it more or less safe is anyone's guess because there is so much more to safety than that. I'm just trying to point out that because we sit higher in the PM that that doesn't mean we are actually sitting farther forward relative to main engine and transmission mass.

By the way, I agree with you that children shouldn't sit in the front seats if at all possible. And I'm assuming the passenger airbag can be turned off for a car seat but I'm not even sure of that (don't know if requirement applies to commercial trucks).

·
Registered
654 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts