Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are six tabs on the roof of the Promaster for attaching a roof rack. What sort of hardware do you use to attach to those tabs which stick up about an inch and are about a inch in diameter (oblong).

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
All I know is that there are roof racks designed to attach to those tabs, as well as certain awnings such as the FIAMMA F65 - no drilling of the sheet metal should be required.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fiamma makes a rack and awning that utilize those attachment points and both come with the required hardware. Dought that they sell the attaching hardware as a separate item - guess you could ask them.

Here is the rack and awning on my ProMaster.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Steve--did you attach the rack and awning? Can you upload an image showing how the rack attaches to the tabs? I want to attach an ARB awning which only attaches to a roof rack. Thinking about having a rack made but am unsure about how to attach it to the existing tabs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry, that's the only picture I have presently. I should be picking the finished conversion up in a couple of weeks and can get some good close ups then.

Both the rack and awning came from https://www.eurocampers.com

·
Registered
604 Posts
Do those tabs unscrew and leave you with threaded insert?
Don't think so. Mine looked spot welded on. You tear them up trying as you'd probably use vise-grips on them...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just received my Kargo Master roof rack for my 3500. Not really that much to the clamps. A piece of 1 x 1/8 x 3 3/4 long angle iron, drill the holes and weld on a couple of tabs at the end. The small clamp piece is 7/8 x 1/8 x 2 angle iron. The holes are 3/8" clearance.
I'm a little concerned about this type of mounting bracket. The instructions say that the clamp is only to be tightened enough on the pin and not be able to spin it by hand. But then, like everything else, it should be checked every now and then. Those spindly little pins on the van better be strong to carry any weight. I could barely lift the box that the rack came in, probably 150 lbs.

Edit: it's not angle iron but 1/8th thick flat bar bent lengthwise,

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the same racks as well and the Fiamma F65S awning. Not cheap but a perfect fit and I'm very pleased with the overall result.

I'll post pictures tomorrow just let me know what you want. The Fiamma rack is made to hold the awning and roof rack. I fit my solar panels on top of the rack and the awning right below.

I ordered directly through fiamma USA.http://www.fiammausa.com/

·
Registered
604 Posts
...Those spindly little pins on the van better be strong to carry any weight. I could barely lift the box that the rack came in, probably 150 lbs....
From the Ram Body Builders Guide:

FITTING A ROOF RACK
The roof rack must be fitted using the attachments on the roof, following the instructions
of the roof rack manufacturer; maximum admissible load condition (including roof rack)
must in any case be respected.
Short wheelbase - 150 Kg
Medium wheelbase - 150 Kg
Long wheelbase - 150 Kg
 NOTE: The limit of 25 kg for each attachment on the roof must not be exceeded. The
maximum permitted weight of 150 kg is an absolute limit, even if the wheelbase is
lengthened.
 NOTE: The load must be distributed evenly on the luggage rack and it must not
exceed the width of the mounting tabs.

{150kg equals 330.693 pounds}

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuildersguide/2014/rampromaster/
Look at "Design Recommendations" page

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kargo Master Ladder rack rails

Does anyone have the Kargo Master Van Ladder Rack ? It looks like this rack uses towers that mount a (15-15?) piece of extruded aluminum as a rail. I found this Youtube video on installing those mounts: https://youtu.be/UOd1e23iJX8 Here is a link to the rack: http://www.kargomaster.com/van-shelving-drawer-units/ram-promaster-shelving-unit-partition/ram-promaster-ez-lodown-van-ladder-rack.html

I wonder how much those mounts and the rails cost without the rack. The aluminum rails would make a very modular base for solar and an awning and surfboards etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Someone posted about $25 each as I recall verbal years ago but that's a very hazy recollection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was hoping to have a rack for storage and small sun deck for two people. the 330 lbs mentioned above seems low. Does anyone have experience with actually getting up on the roof as a person with a small aluminum or other deck?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was hoping to have a rack for storage and small sun deck for two people. the 330 lbs mentioned above seems low. Does anyone have experience with actually getting up on the roof as a person with a small aluminum or other deck?
I went with Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and a Bat wing awning, no issues and definitely have had more them 330 lbs up there

Attachments

Reactions: Keith Tharp
1 - 20 of 124 Posts