Ram Promaster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Deryn,
My point of noting we're taking to the same dealer wasn't about any competition between you and I. It was noting how I feel like I'm getting reasonable service and from what you've shared here, don't seem to be getting the same. That's the pisser.

I'm looking at 159 HTs. And I could not get anyone there to answer today, except the internet chat lady, who replied on her day off.

Regards

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, tg. So .. what month do you think next year PM models usually begin to arrive at dealerships? July?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Deryn,
My point of noting we're taking to the same dealer wasn't about any competition between you and I. It was noting how I feel like I'm getting reasonable service and from what you've shared here, don't seem to be getting the same. That's the pisser.

I'm looking at 159 HTs. And I could not get anyone there to answer today, except the internet chat lady, who replied on her day off.

Regards
Darn .. I was hoping you were perhaps looking at the same vehicle. When it's gone, it's gone. I couldn't get mad at that if it happens. Would be even better though if it went to someone I sort of 'know'.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It varies a little from year to year but September or October is probably about right. According to Donlen, the 2020 production didn't start until 9/30/2019. No announcement yet on the 2021's

·
Registered
505 Posts
With all the upheaval/disruption these days there's no telling when production on the 2021's will start or when they might hit the dealers. I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't show up until early next year.

@ Deryn - Yes, I've gathered from this site that not everyone likes small, compact packages like I do. ;-)

For my use I actually wouldn't mind it being a little smaller. If FCA made a van in between the PM and PM City that's probably what I would have bought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I could probably make a 118" work .. have gone back and forth on that actually .. but could I live in it for months at a time. Well, yes, "I" could but I'd probably have to have a very large storage compartment somewhere to hold my junk. It would be fine if is was just to be a weekend camper but that may not be the case for me eventually. I do love small spaces too .. I spent a lot of time camping with my 95 lb. 6 foot long dog in my Element. If Honda still made Elements I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
505 Posts
@ Deryn - Months at a time would be tough if you like to have a lot of stuff with you. I've taken several 4 to 10-day trips and two longer 2-week trips in the van and always feel I have too much. Over the years guess I've leaned toward less is more and without realizing it have distilled my needs down to the bare minimum. Based on the comparatively lavish accommodations many build into their vans and the volumes of stuff they carry I seem to be the odd man out.

Edit...FYI - in the LT 118" WB, with the ceiling insulated/paneled and floor/carpet in, there is 5' 4" clearance. From the back doors to the center of that step up to the seats is 8' 8.5".

My wife loved her 2003 Element and still blames me for talking her into trading it in on a new 2008 Forester - even 12 years later!

·
Registered
100 Posts
h1k3rb

I'm sure I'll pare down over time but I know I'll start out with way too much stuff. Believe me, for me to get down to what you may regard as too much stuff will take a lot. I have 3 houses full of mostly inherited 'precious things' (not so much precious any more but there are memories) that I still have to get rid of as it is. In fact, I have to use the van first to help me dispose of a fair bit of it down south and then to drive a lot of large stuff across Canada from Nova Scotia to British Columbia to give it to my son. Till I've done at least that I can't begin to build it out .. other than insulation, walls, floor, maybe. Still going to take a while after that I am sure to build but eventually getting away from whatever is left is probably why I need the van so much - for both my mental and physical health.

Thanks for confirming my estimation - that that height will work fine for me. And tell your wife she has very good taste .. in vehicles (and husbands). :cool:

I think 118" can work (barely) for my (still in constant state of mental revision) 'plan' in terms of getting in a bed/sitting area with table, a shower/toilet area, and a kitchen .. but storage .. esp. in a low roof van .. not sure where I'd put it all. Food, tools, clothes, art supplies/sewing machine, kitchen appliances/pots, safety stuff (all the stuff I currently carry in my Ridgeline trunk), plus all the utilites - batteries/inverter, etc. and water storage and heater, etc. I'd prefer not to advertise that I am a gypsy by hanging it all off the outside of the van. :ROFLMAO:

That said .. low roof 136" vans are hard enough to find .. is it any easier to find the 118" low roof ones normally? I'll have to look but are they much cheaper?

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
We don’t own stuff, stuff owns us. Dinky van to deliver stuff- good. Dinky van to live in- not good.

·
Super Moderator
8,011 Posts
How true! A 118 Promaster is not suitable to live in! Can it be done - of corse, but WHY? Why suffer in a tiny van when for just a few $ more you could be comfortable in a 136 at least

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
Just to make another point you can stand in a LT but height is a wonderful thing or our houses would have 5’8” ceilings as that is the average height of us. I have built for a while and the ceiling height that most satisfies people is 9’. My AZ and NH houses each have a section of ceiling about 13’ high and they make a small house feel more spacious. I feel a 136” HT the proper van for being in for more than a couple of days. This size has few negative issues in terms of driving and parking. It won’t go in many parking garages but will through most drive throughs and fits on any street space. I’d encourage you to go to a dealer and take a folding in chair so you can sit and ponder the difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My daughter bought a new Nissan car that had about 500 miles on it but they said if she took it home for the weekend and put another 1000 miles on it they would sell it to her as used at a BIG discount. We went on a weekend road trip! -$3000 on Monday!
That is super illegal. If they get caught they would get fined $21k a day for each day you drove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
@Deryn - What they said. Based on what you've written here I'd go with the 136 and although you'd have a couple inches to spare height-wise while barefoot, with shoes and a ball cap it would be close. At 6' I have to hunker down but after years of camping in tents, VW buses and the back of pickups it feels normal and I'm mostly outside anyway. I'm not planning on living in it either. If I was going to live on the road I'd buy a small travel trailer (Casita, @Tab, Scamp, r-Pod, etc) to tow behind it that I could unhook and leave where I'm staying for the night, a few days, weeks or even months.

Edit - the price difference between the 118 and 136 was about $1000 when I was looking last year.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I second RD's suggestion about the sitting. If you are going to be living in it, you will spend a lot of time in it. If it feels cramped, you won’t be happy doing that. Unfortunately, the empty van does not convey the reality of a finished van. I wish several of us here could give you a show-n-tell.

I have seen a lovely buildout of a 118 with full amenities for a small lady. She loved it, but storage space was minimal and she did not live in it.

Interior height of unfinished low roof is 66.3”. Subtract at least an inch for ceiling and floor and you are down to 65”. That's 3” above your head barefoot. Yes, you would fit, but so do sardines. For something you live in, you will need a bit more stretch than that. You will need more of a sense of space. (Not counting the opportunity for overhead storage.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
We don’t own stuff, stuff owns us. Dinky van to deliver stuff- good. Dinky van to live in- not good.
I agree about stuff owning us. While I've been known to acquire stuff too, most of this, particularly what is down south, was acquired over 40-50 years by others and then they 'up and died' leaving me holding the bag. It's a long story but it has to go .. since I have no one left to dump it all on when I hang up my hat.

I have no intention of living 'in' the van .. more 'living out of it', with short periods perhaps of confinement in inclement weather.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My house up north has high (10') ceilings. I hate them. It also has big rooms .. and many of them .. and I 'thought' I would like both those things but it turns out I don't. And I can't maintain a house with high ceilings, not easily anyway. If I was 20 maybe .. I was a monkey then but times change. Each to their own I guess.

I owned a class B with a high roof. Hated driving it. It was ok inside but I had to carry a step stool to get to the fan to clean it and I couldn't reach the back corners of some of the cupboards. You've all told me the PM high roof would not drive the same way, and maybe you are right, but I think a low roof will be fine for me. I don't want to live in (or out of) a van that I can't at least stand in, mind you. Had enough of that and my knees etc. can't take that any more.

I also will be building most of this myself. It is hard enough for someone my height to get in and out of this van, much less have to put up a ceiling and cupboards above my head.

I appreciate everyone's comments but if I am buying a van I am buying a 136" low roof PM.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
Despite any advice I (or we) have given you will be fine in the 136 LR. If we meet up someday remind me to duck down if I get to tour the van.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Despite any advice I (or we) have given you will be fine in the 136 LR. If we meet up someday remind me to duck down if I get to tour the van.
Ah .. now I get it! :ROFLMAO: You want to tour my van (someday, if I ever get off my keister and actually acquire one and then build it out). Darn .. that changes everything .. hadn't thought about tall people ever wanting to enter my mini-castle. How inconsiderate of me. Ok .. I'll buy a high roof. How often can you come over to clean the fans? :devilish:

101 - 120 of 122 Posts