Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
That price is still too high, I feel. But I don't know comparables in your area. You should know that info though.

As for Covid, practice good physical spacing, wear a mask, wash your hands. It's what I've been doing at the dealers here in CO. They limit the bodies in their dealerships also. Most people are being reasonable about it. The new normal I guess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you are already familiar with ProMasters, there is no need to go in person until you are ready to pick it up. I bought a car sight-unseen from a dealer in Seattle (300 miles away) - got an upgraded model for $5K less than the local AutoNation dealer on the lesser model.

Ask the salesperson for the VIN, from that you can get the window sticker here:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

type in your VIN after the "=" (no spaces)

Once you have the window sticker, most of your questions about the vehicle can be answered from that.

You can negotiate everything by e-mail or phone. I'd say call and get a real e-mail of a salesperson so you can avoid the bots and keep working with the same salesperson.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks. Covid doesn't scare me in the least .. even at my advanced age. But I will use it to my advantage. Why the heck do I need to go to see them at all right now? What benefit is there to me being there on THEIR turf at this point? I don't see any. (p.s. I am also done with this mask garbage - that is making a mockery of us all, friend .. but they don't have to know that.)

Vehicle salespeople who try to railroad me into visiting at their whim within an hour or two after making me wait months to be at all responsive to me however .. DO. They say jump and I am supposed to say how high? I don't think so.

Baxsie is right. I've been tracking this particular vehicle for months now - though I have not actually seen it in person. It's new. I know what options it has, etc. All I am trying to do is decide if I should let them talk to me on the phone yet. Months ago I asked what their bottom line price was .. and that is where all this began because the response was it was in 'stop sale' status and they wouldn't tell me. The email yesterday basically was just the online ad info - this time though with the 'online' price .. which we all know is not what it really is. So I guess I have to re-ask that same question.

I also think I should just ask for the fleet manager to call me .. tomorrow .. after I have had time to collect myself a bit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Some here feel differently but I wouldn't recommend buying ANY vehicle without driving it first, back roads and on the highway. When looking to buy I still go around to all the dealers within range and drive numerous vehicles before making a choice. It takes time but I don't mind. Even vehicles of the exact same model can drive and feel very differently and there have been times I would seriously consider buying one but definitely not the other. Could be factory glitch, dealer prep, etc - don't know why but the difference can be significant. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't sign anything without actually seeing it and driving it. But, though they suddenly want to rush me now, that doesn't mean I should jump into any of that. I've emailed back and asked again for the info I requested months ago that they are still trying to avoid giving me as far as I can tell.

I'm not into playing games. Once I have determined what question to ask and then ask it of a salesperson, I expect a clear, honest answer if they want to sell me the van. They need to find someone there to deal with me on that basis or I will continue looking at nearly new but used vehicles elsewhere for much less $.

I appreciate everyone here letting me bounce stuff off you. The disadvantage I have is that I have no one else to do that with these days. Sorry to bother you with all this 'me thinking out my next move' junk but it is helping, even if you think I'm not listening. I'm not naive .. just female, doing some circular thinking, and trying to reduce my thoughts to quick sentences to communicate with this email botperson .. since as you can see, I tend to talk too much and that is not good with them in this case .. my apologies to the 'guys'. :ROFLMAO:

I'll let you know what happens .. if anything. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
When we were shopping, we drove several on the lot. Their window stickers did not reflect all the differences. For example, some had cab floors that were hard and slicker'n snot. We nearly hurt ourselves trying to get to the rear. The one we bought didn’t. (At that time, everything was 2014.)

Never fear tossing stuff out here. We like to talk. 😁

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well that died fast. I asked for the bottom line price .. was told just over $32k .. plus plus plus. OR I could finance at 0% and pay full price (plus plus plus). I said thanks .. that I was also looking at other PMs and would let her know. She said .. ok .. we have many other 2019s to choose from.

May be but that was the only one on her dealer lot that I wanted. My guess is that they will still have lots of 2019s to choose from in 2021 too at this rate. She doesn't want to sell to me obviously. To me $15k plus is too much to pay for a mere 20k miles difference on the odometer, a slightly different color than white, and that 'still shiny new but potentially lot rotted' mystique. At $5k I would have been very interested .. but not $15k.

So back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the website they dropped the price another 2k either yesterday or today, after talking to me.

MSRP: $36,610
Discount and Incentives $9,869
Ad Price Now $26,741

Here's what I know. It has been on their lot for 330 days now. It is not a standard fleet color (silver) and it is a 'one-of' for them I think. I am pretty certain they want to dump it but they are still telling me over $32k. I'm ready to call and offer them $26k plus request a new battery. Let them eat the incentives etc. I'd love to go lower but .. well .. that might get me kicked out of the office even now I think.

All they can do is say no, right? If they won't deal, I will consider this dealership a burned bridge and go looking at the low mileage 2019s (previously rentals) for 20k or slightly lower not that far away. There are a couple.

Cargurus even says it is 'used' (with 5 miles on it) but this dealer won't admit that (says new on dealer site).. if they would call it used that could save me a few bucks too I think. I will bet I will lose some warranty time anyway since it is so 'stale' but haven't asked about that yet.

I'm not a commercial customer and they know it .. but .. are they going to find a commercial customer for this thing in even the next month or two .. I doubt it. They'll get me on financing I am sure but they can't jack that up more than I expect them to. They can't hit me on a trade.

Any comments .. please?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Deryn,
I would exercise caution on that piece because it might be representing a number that includes all incentives applied. Since you're not buying for commercial use you already lose some incentive discounts. If you have a competitors brand you can get a discount, a Conquest discount of 500-750. You just have to show them your current registration paper, you don't have to trade it in.

This is still a new unit at 5 miles. There is a threshold to push it into used but it might be 500 miles but don't quote me on the threshold. CarGurus for me has been wrong many times in color, seat styles (3 seaters listed when reality is 2 buckets). I'm finding that I need to use a VIN decoder to see actual window sticker build sheets to confirm on my own instead of calling dealers to send me a copy of window sticker. The window sticker is also called a Monrony label or Monrony sticker when searching for free VIN decoders. Don't pay for a decoder. I'll see if I can get you the one I've been using, it's a little tiresome but free to use. Try this-
www.windowstickerlookup.com

If you're finding other used units for less you may need to call on them for the VIN if not listed on their website and decode those as well to see how they compare, off the production line anyway. Used units are a viable path and factory warranty may be left and transferrable to you, even extended at additional cost.

You can use the dealer financing and rates and immediately go get a lower rate from another lender after you drive it off the lot. There is little impact to a credit rating on this scenario, I've leaned. Using their financing might make them happy on the front end, more willing to negotiate some more. They don't need to know you're looking to refinance.

This might pi$$ you off but I've been talking to this same dealer, both their online chat person and on the floor salesman and my experience is 180 from yours, I'm sad to report. Definitely not a bot at any point in my online chats. I plan to call them again today, they lowered the price a 2nd time on a unit I'm interested in also. The salesman wrote a counter offer on an emailed copy of the window sticker once and the online chat lady had sent one once and they didn't match so be careful. The difference was about 4,000. The van is at an Asheville location I think. Do you want the name of the salesman I'm working with?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The dealer is in Hendersonville, NC and has the best selection around. It's where I bought my 2019 last August, basically same van except mine is 118" WB (my personal preference) with a couple options (heated mirrors, front & rear mats, hitch). It had been on the lot awhile and had about 250 miles on it, likely just from test drives so was sold as new. I walked in on the last day of the month, they seemed to want to make a sale and gave me over $4K off sticker right away, threw in the hitch and front mat later.

They didn't want to budge any more so I was going to walk and check out a couple more (white) vans elsewhere but my wife really liked it - especially the silver (dealer could see it so - game over! ;-) ) she and I talked outside where I let her talk me into it and we drove it home that day. Super useful, fun daily driver and no regrets other than not being able to use it fully as intended (travel & camping) these days.

@ Deryn - you should be able to get that van for $30K or less if you hold your ground. If not, I might consider selling a slightly used (odo - 013316 mi) LT, silver shorty? ;-)

It would be hard to let it go though - not sure what I'd be able to replace it with, not that would meet my needs as well as it does.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
My daughter bought a new Nissan car that had about 500 miles on it but they said if she took it home for the weekend and put another 1000 miles on it they would sell it to her as used at a BIG discount. We went on a weekend road trip! -$3000 on Monday!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
There is some discount momentum to play off this weekend. End of month quotas, bad weather should slow foot traffic, recall parts arriving and maybe holiday discounts.

To keep this on topic somewhat. The van I'm looking into, a new 2019, was recall effected. Dealer says the same as Deryn is saying, the stop sale was lifted.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks everyone.

CrossNat: Yes, I am all too aware that that price IS what they are prepared to sell the vehicle for, with all discounts - 90% of which I don't qualify for. That is for a commercial customer but as I said, I think their chances of finding a commercial customer to buy a silver upgraded van is slim - they haven't so far, in flush times, to date. For me the difficulty is that I know this vehicle is already a year old and they are still quoting off the original price a year ago. I think the fact that it is that old should be a big bargaining chip for me but no one else seems to think so I guess.

Individuals buying these vehicles (which imho shouldn't be a different classification from a regular vehicle - so many are being used for other purposes these days) lose TWICE - when we buy and, then later, sell such a vehicle. We have to pay a LOT more to buy and our depreciation right off the lot is double that of a commercial customer - who stands to make money with their vehicle and can probably depreciate it as well while we just spend and lose. And the more we pay initially, the more we pay in insurance, ttl, etc. at the front end and then each year we own them, not to mention the downpayment is also based on the purchase price so that is more out of pocket for us also. I can't change that but lowering the price as much as possible on the front end is in my best interests obviously. I want to lower my up front out of pocket expenses as much as possible so I can afford to begin the conversion process.

Why would I be pissed off that you are talking to the same dealer? I am sure lots of people do/are. I just happen to live about 15 miles from them. If you want the same vehicle as I do then please buy it .. that would make this all a lot easier for me. If it is not there .. I will stop looking at it. I'll be very happy for you.

h1k3rb: Good strategy. Glad you were able to get a good chunk off sticker on yours. 118" is a bit short for me (so you are safe .. keep it and enjoy it!), and 159" is too long (and high). Right now, I am not in a great mood with all this stupid 'health crisis' stuff so that is not helping me. Local fiefdoms blossoming irk me to no end. I feel powerless I guess and that extends to this horrible vehicle buying process. It seems I hold absolutely NO keys to the kingdom and they hold them all.

RDinNHandAZ: If I could find a dealership locally (umm there really is only this one that is really 'local') who would do that for me, I'd jump at it! How wonderful for your daughter. Somehow I doubt I will get that lucky with a commercial dealership but it's nice to dream!

Baxsie: I'm 5'2" on a good day so yes, the low roof works for me, barely but I am pretty sure even with roof and floor insulated I'd be fine. The suspension will be fine imho. I hope to use a fair bit of 80/20 so weight shouldn't be an issue for me. I travel alone.

Ok .. well I didn't do anything about any of this today so it will wait now till next week I guess. What I really wanted to know I think was whether I should call them because this internet botlady doesn't think I'm serious. I did what I heard was the right thing to do .. make THEM give me the first offer .. but I asked her for their BOTTOM LINE so she came back with the 32k. Didn't tell her that was too much .. just said I was looking at others (didn't say they were used) and would let her know. She didn't eagerly come back and tell me about the 2k drop .. nothing from her at all since then .. so maybe I did it wrong. Was scared to say too much because I talk a lot and that will not be to my advantage imho if they think I like this vehicle too much.

Thank you all. Que sera, sera. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You could get a check from your credit union for the $26,741 + tax and license and see if they can make it work. If not leave with the check. If they complain that you do not qualify for the incentives say: "You work that out on your side."

10% chance, I'd give it. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I bought my 2014, it had been on the lot for a while. Build date was August 2014. It arrived at the dealer in Seattle in October 2014. I noticed it listed on the dealer website in late December 2014, MSRP $42,095. This is a 159EXT with lots of options, and it was silver!. With discounts and rebate they were asking $37,000. Seattle dealer is 4 hours from my home but I was in Southern California for the season and not due back until April. I kept an eye on it and it continued to show in dealer inventory. In March, I started emailing to see how much lower they might go. They held to the $37,000 price. On my way home I stopped in to check it out and go for a test ride. It had 19 miles on the odometer after my test ride. I mentioned the long time on the lot and offered $35,000. They said $37,000. So I left. They emailed me a few times but did not drop the price. I continued to watch it and in the middle of June 2015, they dropped the price to $34,995. I agreed to that and picked it up the next day. It still had 19 miles on it when I picked it up so no other test drives in the 2 months. I asked why they finally agreed to my price and they said that the new model year was coming in and they wanted to get it off the lot. The Battery was dead when they tried to bring it out for me. They gave it a full charge and it lasted about a year. They gave me a new replacement battery under warranty. So definitely ask for a new battery.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts