Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
  • '14-'19
  • It says the VINs are searchable
  • My guess is FCA did a broad sweep because they can't figure out which ones are affected, mine looks fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, Phil. Yeah, I'm looking at a '19, so it would be included in the class as a whole.

I'm curious, though, did you actually search your VIN for this? Or are you just eyeballing the cable and determining that it's OK?

I went to Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment and Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); both sites seemed to indicate the one I'm looking at is affected. I guess I'm confused as to whether that's just more of the "broad sweep," or if they're actually identifying mine as having the problem.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I'm just eye balling mine, NHTSA says my VIN is included in the recall.

When I read the memo from FCA to dealer, I take it as the dealer can run the VINs through FCA's computer system to check, just guessing on that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gotcha, thanks. That makes sense. I'm going over to look at it again in the morning with a printout of the stop sale notice and the VIN report...I'll see what they have to say.

One more question for you, Phil, if it's not too much trouble -- is it pretty easy to see the potential issue? I assume it would have to be up on a lift, but is it something I could distinguish just looking at it? I haven't exactly gotten my hands dirty in a lot of years, but if there's an obvious right or wrong configuration, I would probably be able to pick it out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd rather know if there any VINs which are NOT affected. Otherwise I have to spend weeks looking up every VIN I find for sale (err 'advertised' for sale) but if ALL are affected (as I now believe is true and they just don't want to say that) I will just stop looking for now.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
One more question for you, Phil, if it's not too much trouble -- is it pretty easy to see the potential issue? I assume it would have to be up on a lift, but is it something I could distinguish just looking at it?
Open hood, driver's side look down find trans, top - right side. Picture shows the arm, circled in red, you can follow the cable back to the firewall, easy. Interior is covered in plastic, but it goes straight up into the shifter mechcanism.

for reference the left side of photo is the radiator side

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you Phil! So since the issue is the cable potentially disconnecting from the transmission, any kink in the cable that could allow that to happen would be visible here, correct?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Thank you Phil! So since the issue is the cable potentially disconnecting from the transmission, any kink in the cable that could allow that to happen would be visible here, correct?
Hold on now!

FCA hasn't said clearly where the cable is separating from.
Reading the NHTSA and FCA docs I'm not sure which end has the problem.

I'm guessing here, the problem is either the shifter connection or the transmission connection.

I don't see a problem on "my van" at the transmission connection, but I haven't torn apart the shifter to check it.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can look up inside and see the shifter connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hold on now!

FCA hasn't said clearly where the cable is separating from.

I'm guessing here, the problem is either the shifter connection or the transmission connection.

I don't see a problem on my van at the transmission connection, but I haven't torn apart the shifter to check it.

Read the NHTSA and FCA docs I'm not sure which end has the problem.
Point taken, thank you. It's true, it doesn't actually say where it's separating.

"The transmission shifter cable could separate, disconnecting the transmission shifter from the transmission "

OK, I'll just take a look for curiosity's sake :cool:. Hopefully they'll be able to pull more information from the VIN.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Those problems with no definite solution as yet would really bother me too and the latter really could be scary. I will be watching to see if anyone can answer your question about whether the gear would just be stuck or ? Neither may happen but just knowing they could and that they are considered serious enough for a recall is not reassuring. I hope you get your fixes FAST.

Were you advised to stop driving the vehicle?

My dealer got back to me this morning (after I had sent an email last night to say .. thanks but I guess I will have to look elsewhere) to tell me that they 'hope' they will have parts/a fix sometime in March. The issue for me, since I don't yet own one, is not so much that these problems exist but that so many vehicles are affected and there are NO parts available to fix them yet.

Since all the mechanicals are the same on all PM (gas) vans as far as I know and these are safety issues, I would expect vehicles already on the road would get first parts available so buying new is probably going to be further delayed than the dealer wants to admit.

I found previous year 'kits' available to replace the shifter cables - did the design change over the years? if not, it sounds as though there have always been issues here and the manufacturer has neglected to address them .. but can those be used to fix this issue with the 2019's too?

My dilemma - the low roof (FWD) PM is the only van I think will suit my purposes so, after dreaming of one for a year or more now, what the heck do I do? If I stick with PM as my goal, I bet dealers would try to get me to buy a 2020 - at a much higher price and with the same potential future issues if no changes have been made .. or maybe I have to look for a much older version with high mileage - something prior to 2014 I think.

I am now (very reluctantly) to the bankback to looking at other 'low roof' vans but none of them are doing it for me. They are all RWD and much lower roofs in the low roof category (if any height diff. is available at all) and all have issues too, of course, but at least they are still available for purchase!
Deal with a fleet mgr or somebody who turns alot of Promasters .They dont have time to dicker around upsell you ect.My purchase took about an hour and they took me to the bank too.He was doing two deals at once beside but I bought a loss leader .I called the day before and they had it ready the next day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you, Joel. Good tip! I will keep it in mind for when this recall is over. Everyone's hands are tied as far as I can see for the present. :(

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Some more boring stuff,
pic 1, In the center is where the cable connects to the trans.

The only to see the interior is to remove the cup holder and plastic trim behind it.
pic 2 inside, straight into the shifter, use the yellowish clip for reference

pic 3, cable runs straight up the side of the shifter, yellowish clip at the bottom and the cable terminates at the top next to the white square.

pic 4, close up of the end, for reference use the white square

simple straight forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the additional pictures, Phil. I did peer down in the general direction of the transmission, but...nothing looked like your picture from where I was standing. Who knows what I was missing :unsure::whistle:, but in the end, I decided to buy the van and leave it with the dealer till they're ready to replace the cable in mid-March. That's fine for me, because I still have a few weeks to work before retirement and there's nothing I can do with it until then anyway.

The salesman did pull the NHTSA recall report specific to my VIN and there was not a stop sale on it. He maintained that the stop sale would only apply to new, unsold vehicles in dealer inventory, not to used ones. Since they'd be on the hook for that hefty fine if they sold a unit they aren't supposed to sell, I'll take his word for it. And the recall will be addressed before I do any significant driving in it, so I'm satisfied.

And so the adventure begins!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations, CP!

That is what I thought ... that 'used' ones could still be sold.

If anyone hears of the perfect used one within a couple of hundred miles of western NC, please give me a heads up. By perfect I mean has to have at a minimum: less than 40k miles on it, still be within finance-able years, preferably has back windows (side would be great too) and the heated folding power mirrors. I had a lot more 'wants' but I think I can live without them given the circumstances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Deryn! I ended up without the fancy mirrors, but I did luck out with the back windows.

I hope you find yours soon...see you on the road!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My 2014 136” HT is included in this recall. Built September 2013. 125,000 miles.
So it looks like all gas PMs may be affected by the shift cable recall (W00). Diesels have a totally different tranny and cable. Not sure which ones the cooling fan recall (VB2) applies to. But if some of us are not seeing it on a VIN search, maybe it's not all PMs. Shinny's VIN list includes both of those, but not the tranny solenoid pack (V46, 2016-17 gas). But as I understand, it's technically not a recall. Has V46 appeared on anyone's VIN list?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts