Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
For me,
I listen for the fans when I cycle the A/C.
The shifter cable peak my interest, if the cable fails my plan is to apply the parking brake, open the hood and manually shift the lever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The recall notices didn't say that (yet), but everyone has to make up their own mind. I haven't been super concerned about the cooling fan problem since I'll get some warning (dash light) and it can't crash the van.

To get more clarity on the shift cable risk, I just called the service desk at my local dealer. The person I spoke with was familiar with the recall and even said the PM wasn't the first FCA vehicle to have this problem. The cable can (very rare) detach itself from the shift pawl on the outside of the transmission. When this happens, you are stuck in the current gear selection. For example, if it happens while you are driving in D, everything will continue to behave normally, until you try to shift into another gear, like P or R. The danger comes with assuming it shifted properly and taking your foot off the brake while the van is still actually in D. You can always apply brakes again, if you catch it before crashing into something. While not as innocuous as the cooling fan, it's still manageable as long as I stay aware. I'm OK with that for now.
Good information! Thanks for finding that out.

Seems as though this affects far more than the 2019 1500 LR PM. ? It also sounds as though they don't even have a real solution yet, much less parts to fix the problem. I am guessing that some dealer somewhere will continue selling these despite the recall (and we know some will), but apart from that, unless the 'fix is in', I bet all 2019 PMs are probably going to be very difficult to buy now, unless one buys used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chiming in here a few days later...I've been tracking certified pre-owned 159 HRs over the last couple of months just to be aware of what's available, but I wasn't quite ready to actually purchase one. Up until a couple of weeks ago, there were dozens available around the country, and one of my local dealers was ready to get one shipped here as soon as I gave him the go ahead. Then all of a sudden there weren't any CPO units available anywhere, and I was afraid maybe I'd missed some kind of window...like maybe all the fleets got traded in at the end of the year and they'd all been snapped up already.

However, today I discovered a 2019 with 16K miles on it, on the lot at a different dealer. I went out to look at it...iit certainly looks clean, but it's still in service/inspection so I couldn't drive it. But the salesman said it didn't look like they were planning to certify it and he didn't know why, until we looked at the carfax and saw the shifter cable recall. According to him, it's not a "stop-sale" recall. BUT it automatically disqualifies affected vehicles from certification, AND it removes the certification from existing certified units.

So...that's where all those CPO PMs went, and there won't be any more until the fix is available and completed. Whether they'll be sold as-is or not, I don't know -- perhaps it depends on the dealership? He certainly gave me the impression I'd be able to buy it once it's done with their inspection and service. According to the NHTSA report, out of some 222K "potentially involved" vehicles, they've had 7 "customer assistance inquiry records," 0 field reports, and "545 warranty reports potentially related to this issue," so it's not like they're flying through plate glass windows all over the place or anything...

Oh -- he also said getting to "remedy available" status would probably mean collecting all the non-defective parts from the factories and distributing them to the dealers. Not sure how accurate that was, but he gave the impression he'd been around for a while, so maybe he knows whereof he speaks...

For me, after a little research, it sounds like a standard extended warranty will be as good or better than the CPO warranty. So assuming their inspection and service doesn't pick up anything untoward, I think I'll snag this one and let them fix the recall when they get to it. I won't really need to drive it much for a couple of months, so hopefully it'll be fixed by then.

Deryn, I hope you find one that meets your needs. I think finding a van that's the right foundation for a build may be the most nerve-wracking and consequential part of the whole process!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, from Big (but not too scary) ProMaster recall:

The car’s PRNDL (shift indicator) will still show the correct gear, since it’s linked to the transmission computer and not the shifter.
Since the problem was caused by the assembly process, the new cable/lever assembly may be exactly the same as the old one (part 68166623AC); but it will be installed properly.
FCA reported that only around 3% of ProMasters are actually affected.
So the key is to pay attention to the shift indicator and not take your foot off the brake if it doesn't read Park.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, CP. I appreciate you going to all that trouble .. to ask the questions and then relay it all here. :)(y)

By 'certification', you just mean when a dealership 'certifies' a used vehicle (in other words, that would not affect new vehicles)?

Glad you found your build van! Hope the inspection goes well and you can finally drive off in it.

I am still finding 2019s, both new and used, all over the web but I don't think they are really selling, at least the new ones. I suspect if one calls they will say, as the local one here did, that the vehicles are still 'available' but they won't sell them because of the recall. I think these dealerships are going to lose a lot of money and I think eventually they are going to have to sell them, fixed or not, for a lot less than their current asking prices - but when that may happen is the question.

I decided not to talk to people in person if I could help it, even though I have already visited this local dealership before so they do know who I am - or at least the live salespeople do. Their 'internet salesperson' who I have been emailing with:

a) is pedantic .. hard to pull any information, much less, truth out of 'her', really only answers questions after I have done the research and told her the answers - I 'think' she is a live person but it really is hard to tell sometimes. At any rate she is definitely not the right fit in a saleperson for MY personality type. It is like talking to a brick wall. :mad:

b) loves to send stupid spam emails from the same email address (they must have a real idiot designing their automatic sales stuff - sent me several emails AFTER I had talked to what I think is a real salesperson .. asking me why I haven't come in for my test drive yet - BUT they won't let me drive the one I want because of the recall - and then asked why I haven't contacted them yet at all .. after about 5 emails back with said 'real pedantic real person')

c) insists that the fix will be done by mid-March (fat chance, I say) and won't admit anything but 1500 low roof vehicles are affected. I was told they didn't 'need to stop sale' but they were doing it anyway. If I thought a fix was forthcoming quickly that would be a good thing but in this case, it is highly annoying.

I am sure you are correct .. finding and purchasing the base vehicle is probably going to be the hardest part of the whole build - though I bet they are still selling brand new 2020s hand over fist at full price! And those 2020s most likely have the same issue because FCA has not really addressed it at all and as far as I know they didn't make any changes of this type in this year's model.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My understanding of the recall/broken cable is the shift indicator will read what you select but the transmission will be in whatever gear or position it was in when the cable broke.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My understanding of the recall/broken cable is the shift indicator will read what you select but the transmission will be in whatever gear or position it was in when the cable broke.
Hmm so that could be more of an issue, safety wise, I suppose. But, if that is the case, why is there not a mandatory safety related 'do not drive' recall? Maybe because:

According to the NHTSA report, out of some 222K "potentially involved" vehicles, they've had 7 "customer assistance inquiry records," 0 field reports, and "545 warranty reports potentially related to this issue," so it's not like they're flying through plate glass windows all over the place or anything...
???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Deryn, that dealership sounds incredibly frustrating! I don't know why this whole process needs to be so darn unpleasant. I think if it was me I might be tempted to call their customer service dept and tell a real human to take me off their email list until they're ready to sell the vehicle you're looking at.

The "certification" I was looking at was the manufacturer's "Certified Pre-Owned" program -- FCA does what they consider to be a complete inspection, and then provides an additional warranty over whatever's left on the original one. In the past when I've bought used cars, I've had a third-party mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection, but at this point I really don't know any mechanics who I would trust to do that...so I figured the CPO program would be the next best thing. But with the active recall, it can't be certified even if everything else is perfect.

Anyway, since this is going to be my full-time home, and I may end up putting some significant miles on it, I will probably go with the extended warranty. It turns out to be a little more comprehensive than the CPO warranty, at a comparable cost in the long run (the CPO program adds a couple thousand to the price of the vehicle).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps we're using "shift indicator" to mean two different things? I think what that article was saying is the shift indicator on the dashboard will tell you what gear the transmission is actually in (which yes, will be where it was when the cable broke), regardless of the position the handle is in.

The car’s PRNDL (shift indicator) will still show the correct gear, since it’s linked to the transmission computer and not the shifter.
So if it breaks while you're in Drive, and you move the handle into Park...the shift indicator on the dashboard will still show Drive even though the handle is now in Park.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
From NHTSA

From FCA,

From FCA to dealers,

nothing like a the threat of a fine to make a dealer act quick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From NHTSA
View attachment 61089
From FCA,
View attachment 61091
From FCA to dealers,
View attachment 61092
nothing like a the threat of a fine to make a dealer act quick.
View attachment 61094
Yikes! The NHTSA report I was looking at yesterday didn't include the stop sale, and the dealer didn't know about it yesterday either! Is that new?

That must be why the sales guy hasn't called me back this afternoon...

Well, I can wait...hope it doesn't take too long to get it sorted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yikes! The NHTSA report I was looking at yesterday didn't include the stop sale, and the dealer didn't know about it yesterday either! Is that new?

That must be why the sales guy hasn't called me back this afternoon...

Well, I can wait...hope it doesn't take too long to get it sorted.
Just called the salesman. They haven't gotten any notification that it's a stop sale. Wonder what's going on?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, Phil. That indeed seems to be new information - that the stop sale is essentially mandatory. The threat of fines of that magnitude will definitely hit dealer bottom lines, probably harder than waiting a bit to continue selling.

The issue they will have though is if the parts promised don't come through in a timely manner. One hopes if/when that happens they will put real pressure on FCA but that may not happen soon enough for those of us who want to buy. And if this issue is 'that' dangerous and not enough parts are sourced fast, who gets them first? I think those already on the road should get them first, but dealers are probably going to hope current owners don't flock in to have the fix put in before their stock runs out, so they can get back to selling.

Several other things annoy me about all this -

1) My particular dealer was not upfront about all this - and I now suspect they knew all along about the 'fine' issue - which effectlvely means the NHTSA believes this is a major safety issue so shouldn't this also require a 'stop driving' order? Are we just leading up to that slowly? They made it sound as though there was really no reason they 'had' to stop selling units (which I guess theoretically is true but it is not good salesmanship in my opinion to not be forthcoming - this is about THEIR bottom line more than my safety). It is also 'deceptive advertising' in my mind if dealerships continue to advertise these vehicles as 'available' for much longer but they won't sell them, regardless of the reason.

2) The FCA response really isn't good enough if as they say it involves only collecting all 'non-defective parts' and redistributing them. Who has any idea if there are even close to enough of those to fix 222k vehicles AND how are they figuring that these are non-defective units? Do they know the real cause of the problem? Is the issue bigger than just a different part .. perhaps it is placement of that part that causes a good part to move/break, etc.? Are they also manufacturing more 'non-defective' parts? If so, where are they manufactured (not China I hope since with the current virus problem there could be further delays)? This has been an issue from 2014 on as far as I can tell.

3) Again, what about the 2020s? Was the design changed for this year's model? Are dealerships still selling those?

So that settles one issue for me but raises a lot more questions. This just stinks :mad: .. and I would say that whether I wanted to buy one or already owned one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW, my salesman just called back. They claim to have verified that this particular recall -- the shift cable issue -- is NOT a stop sale, at least not as of late today.

Phil, where did you find that FCA-to-dealers notice? Is there any reason some dealers would have received it but others wouldn't?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
FWIW, my salesman just called back. They claim to have verified that this particular recall -- the shift cable issue -- is NOT a stop sale, at least not as of late today.

Phil, where did you find that FCA-to-dealers notice? Is there any reason some dealers would have received it but others wouldn't?
open link, scroll down, open associated docs
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

21 - 40 of 135 Posts