Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow. Once again the 14's aren't part of the problem! Guess I was good to go buying a first year model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was wondering when fix would be released, the article says early 2020 thanks. On the mopar app it said I had recall and fix was in the works..

·
Registered
50 Posts
What exactly gets changed? My cooling fan seems to run all the time, even before the temperature gauge has hardly moved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had my solenoid customer satisfaction recall done on Wed. Noticed that the avg. MPG stuck at 4.7 mpg and took it back yesterday and was given this explanation: The battery was disconnected and will take from 15-100 miles of driving for it to reset to read avg. mpg.

MLoga2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
It probably is not that. In fact disconnecting the negative side of the battery, pressing the brake a few times to bleed the electrical system and reconnecting it is how you might fix it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had my solenoid customer satisfaction recall done on Wed. Noticed that the avg. MPG stuck at 4.7 mpg and took it back yesterday and was given this explanation: The battery was disconnected and will take from 15-100 miles of driving for it to reset to read avg. mpg.

MLoga2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN

Just drove 385+ miles this weekend and the avg mpg was reset 3 times and still shows 4.7 mpg avg.
Called dealer today but waiting on return call to schedule visit to correct misreading avg mpg.

MLogan

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is easy to disconnect the battery. When my trip meters wigged out, I pulled both battery cables and then touched them together. Let it sit overnight. All good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Apparently, as of today, I cannot even get a price for, much less buy, a 2019 1500 136 LT - even though it is advertised online still as though it was ready to go out the door - because there is a 'stop sale' order/recall on them.

Not sure if this is related to the following (even though it only lists 2015-18 models .. was this expanded suddenly)? If not, does anyone know of any other recalls that would be serious enough to warrant a 'stop sale' order which might affect a 2019 136 low roof model right now.

From a Nov 27, 2019 article: "Fiat Chrysler is recalling nearly 100,000 Ram ProMaster vans sold in the U.S. to address an overheating issue in fan motors. The recall is limited to vans from the 2015 through 2018 model years equipped with air conditioning. "

Is there any fix known for this yet? Because if not, I am confused - people are still buying these vehicles it seems and yet I am told there is a stop sale on them, presumably for any from 2015 - 2019 - and it says any that have AC in them - don't they all (cab ac that is). And the motors/fans as far as I know are all the same in all models (of the same fuel type), low/high roof/long/med/short models. I think both diesel and gas are affected.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, Baxsie. I asked the dealer rep but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. It took a bit of sleuthing (even when I took off my adblock I could not read the recall notice) - had to go to the NHTSA site to get the full text .. it's the shifter cable .. no parts available. In the process I found out that this vehicle actually may be in Atlanta .. listed as 'owned' by another dealer .. not here in NC.

This is frustrating because I think all 2019 low roof PMs must be affected. Not sure if they haven't even started tooling the replacement kits or if they are even going to .. 'no parts available' sounds ominous.

It would be one thing if they would allow me to buy the vehicle I want (at a significant discount, mind you) and return it later to be fixed (I would not drive it far but it would make it easier for me to get started on doing the work I want to do on it) ... but they won't even tell me a price and it sounds as if the dealer has absolutely no idea when parts might be available.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
According the Mopar website, as of today, Jan 11, 2020, there are two pending "safety recalls" on our Canadian 2017 PM:
#VB2 Cooling fan module replacement, issued Nov 15, 2019, repair parts not available yet
#W00 Transmission shift cable replacement, issued Jan 23, 2020, repair parts not available yet

It's already been 3 months waiting on new cooling fan parts. Not sure if old-style OEM (or non-OEM) parts are still available in the meantime. Hope I don't have to find out. <fingers crossed>

At least we are aware of these two potential problems and know what to look for. Cooling fan failure results in engine overheating and a dash warning light (eventually) coming on. Once that happens, you should shut it down ASAP to avoid serious engine damage.

If the shift cable detaches itself, you lose control of transmission gear selection, but you might not realize it until you actually try shifting gears. Anyone know how it would manifest itself? Would you remain locked in the current gear? Worst case, I'm imagining shifting from D to P or R, taking my foot of the brake, and having it lurch forward into the car/wall in front of me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
According the Mopar website, as of today, Jan 11, 2020, there are two pending "safety recalls" on our Canadian 2017 PM:
#VB2 Cooling fan module replacement, issued Nov 15, 2019, repair parts not available yet
#W00 Transmission shift cable replacement, issued Jan 23, 2020, repair parts not available yet

It's already been 3 months waiting on new cooling fan parts. Not sure if old-style OEM (or non-OEM) parts are still available in the meantime. Hope I don't have to find out. <fingers crossed>

At least we are aware of these two potential problems and know what to look for. Cooling fan failure results in engine overheating and a dash warning light (eventually) coming on. Once that happens, you should shut it down ASAP to avoid serious engine damage.

If the shift cable detaches itself, you lose control of transmission gear selection, but you might not realize it until you actually try shifting gears. Anyone know how it would manifest itself? Would you remain locked in the current gear? Worst case, I'm imagining shifting from D to P or R, taking my foot of the brake, and having it lurch forward into the car/wall in front of me.
Thanks, Steve. Those problems with no definite solution as yet would really bother me too and the latter really could be scary. I will be watching to see if anyone can answer your question about whether the gear would just be stuck or ? Neither may happen but just knowing they could and that they are considered serious enough for a recall is not reassuring. I hope you get your fixes FAST.

Were you advised to stop driving the vehicle?

My dealer got back to me this morning (after I had sent an email last night to say .. thanks but I guess I will have to look elsewhere) to tell me that they 'hope' they will have parts/a fix sometime in March. The issue for me, since I don't yet own one, is not so much that these problems exist but that so many vehicles are affected and there are NO parts available to fix them yet.

Since all the mechanicals are the same on all PM (gas) vans as far as I know and these are safety issues, I would expect vehicles already on the road would get first parts available so buying new is probably going to be further delayed than the dealer wants to admit.

I found previous year 'kits' available to replace the shifter cables - did the design change over the years? if not, it sounds as though there have always been issues here and the manufacturer has neglected to address them .. but can those be used to fix this issue with the 2019's too?

My dilemma - the low roof (FWD) PM is the only van I think will suit my purposes so, after dreaming of one for a year or more now, what the heck do I do? If I stick with PM as my goal, I bet dealers would try to get me to buy a 2020 - at a much higher price and with the same potential future issues if no changes have been made .. or maybe I have to look for a much older version with high mileage - something prior to 2014 I think.

I am now (very reluctantly) back to looking at other 'low roof' vans but none of them are doing it for me. They are all RWD and much lower roofs in the low roof category (if any height diff. is available at all) and all have issues too, of course, but at least they are still available for purchase!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Were you advised to stop driving the vehicle?
The recall notices didn't say that (yet), but everyone has to make up their own mind. I haven't been super concerned about the cooling fan problem since I'll get some warning (dash light) and it can't crash the van.

To get more clarity on the shift cable risk, I just called the service desk at my local dealer. The person I spoke with was familiar with the recall and even said the PM wasn't the first FCA vehicle to have this problem. The cable can (very rare) detach itself from the shift pawl on the outside of the transmission. When this happens, you are stuck in the current gear selection. For example, if it happens while you are driving in D, everything will continue to behave normally, until you try to shift into another gear, like P or R. The danger comes with assuming it shifted properly and taking your foot off the brake while the van is still actually in D. You can always apply brakes again, if you catch it before crashing into something. While not as innocuous as the cooling fan, it's still manageable as long as I stay aware. I'm OK with that for now.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts