Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat/Chrysler is recalling the Ram ProMaster van because of an issue to do with blown fuses. If these blown fuses are exposed to moisture, the airbag system, lighting or throttle could malfunction. Wet footwear could bring moisture into the cabin that can seep into an in-floor compartment housing the battery and other components.

21,000 ProMaster vans are thought to be affected. 17,700 of those are located in the US. The majority of the affected ProMaster vans are in dealer inventory or in transit.

You can call Chrysler at (800) 853-1403 for more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So much for years in the making since the Ducato has been in service in Europe for some time. I guess it's related to the redesigns necessary to fit an american based power plant and transmission, and whatever other tweaks they've done.

I'm just glad they are getting on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I may also ask here - has the issue plaguing the left cylinder head of the pentastar engine been resolved yet, that is of course if it was ever an issue in this vehicle by the time it became available? As this vehicle seems to fit my needs best of the current offerings, the last I or anyone else needs is another headache. This will likely end-up as my only set of wheels for daily driving, albeit not for any great distances (average 6k/yr).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never buy NEW the first two model years of ANY new US built/assembled motor vehicle. I learned my lesson with new $3,410 1964-1/2 red Mustang convertible.

Traded Mustang replacement, a very troublesome $8k new 1967 Chrysler New Yorker, on a $6k new 4WD with manual Warn front hubs 1971 International Harvester Scout 304 V8/4Speed/2Speed transfer case. I put on 175,000 miles to 1983. Including a LOT of off road/rock climbing. When I sold it to a friend for $1,000 and bought a used 1981 E150 with 80k miles $4k versus $14k new sticker price. It caught fire in 1997 with 285,000 miles. 1997 I bought my current 2-year lease return with 28k miles, 1995 F150 now with 160,000 miles. $14k compared with $28k new.

Both E150 & F150 300 CID/ 4.9Liter I-6/manuals.

E150 single barrel carburetor came with a 4 speed 4th OD, same transmission installed in 1981 Crown Vic's. I believe light duty 9-inch clutch? 185,000 miles when I overhauled the engine, because the cam lobes went flat, all of the replacement parts were @ original clearances. I pulled the engine, clutch, transmission and delivered on a trailer to automotive machine shop.

After tear down and inspection they told me to order a $400 delivered overhaul kit from Summit Racing, so I would have the parts warrantee. They tanked the block and assembled the engine and head $600 labor. The machine shop replaced the 4 speed with a bolt in rebuilt 1985 Bronco 5-speed 4 & 5 OD with a larger clutch $800 parts and labor. Took four weeks but a buddy loaned me one of his F150 for the duration. I replaced the drive train in my truck. Ran like a sewing machine.

F150 fuel injection original Mazda 5-speed with 4 & 5 OD and hydraulic clutch inside the bell housing and transmission pan, that cost me $1,700 for Ford dealer to fix just the hydraulics @ 75K miles. I also had the oil pan gasket get up and leave @ 100k miles that cost $2,400 to repair. Ford dealer said 'never saw that before'. Since then I read on F150 forums that lots of owners were told the same thing. Also since then I found a VERY reliable reasonable fast local independent shop, three generations of one family, to do my work.

Greg Hayden

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If no one bought new for the first 2 years of production,why then would they do a 3rd
year? Then what?
Me I will just put some Depends down there to soak up my wet feet.:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never buy NEW the first two model years of ANY new US built/assembled motor vehicle. I learned my lesson with new $3,410 1964-1/2 red Mustang convertible.

Traded Mustang replacement, a very troublesome $8k new 1967 Chrysler New Yorker, on a $6k new 4WD with manual Warn front hubs International Harvester Scout 304 V8/4Speed/2Speed transfer case. I put on 175,000 miles to 1983. Including a LOT of off road/rock climbing. When I sold it to a friend for $1,000 and bought a used 1981 E150 with 80k miles $4k versus $14k new sticker price. It caught fire in 1997 with 285,000 miles. 1997 I bought my current 2-year lease return with 28k miles, 1995 F150 now with 160,000 miles. $14k compared with $28k new.

Both E150 & F150 300 CID/ 4.9Liter I-6/manuals.

E150 single barrel carburetor came with a 4 speed 4th OD, same transmission installed in 1981 Crown Vic's. I believe light duty 9-inch clutch? 185,000 miles when I overhauled the engine, because the cam lobes went flat, all of the replacement parts were @ original clearances. I pulled the engine, clutch, transmission and delivered on a trailer to automotive machine shop.

After tear down and inspection they told me to order a $400 delivered overhaul kit from Summit Racing, so I would have the parts warrantee. They tanked the block and assembled the engine and head $600 labor. The machine shop replaced the 4 speed with a bolt in rebuilt 1985 Bronco 5-speed 4 & 5 OD with a larger clutch $800 parts and labor. Took four weeks but a buddy loaned me one of his F150 for the duration. I replaced the drive train in my truck. Ran like a sewing machine.

F150 fuel injection original Mazda 5-speed with 4 & 5 OD and hydraulic clutch inside the bell housing and transmission pan, that cost me $1,700 for Ford dealer to fix just the hydraulics @ 75K miles. I also had the oil pan gasket get up and leave @ 100k miles that cost $2,400 to repair. Ford dealer said 'never saw that before'. Since then I read on F150 forums that lots of owners were told the same thing. Also since then I found a VERY reliable reasonable local independent shop, three generations of one family, to do my work.

Greg Hayden

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Internet access is a bit complicated for me, but I had found before an official dodge site that would tell you if your vehicle is recalled, when giving the VIN

Anybody has that link?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
If I may also ask here - has the issue plaguing the left cylinder head of the pentastar engine been resolved yet, that is of course if it was ever an issue in this vehicle by the time it became available? As this vehicle seems to fit my needs best of the current offerings, the last I or anyone else needs is another headache. This will likely end-up as my only set of wheels for daily driving, albeit not for any great distances (average 6k/yr).
This was only on a few first production year engines. Otherwise I, in owning one for 40k miles now have not had nor heard of any other "common" issues with this engine.
Smooth as silk, purrs like a kitten:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Italia64 and bobojay - good to hear about the engine head issue(s) having been fixed.

Greg-92083 - I understand about not wanting to buy the first or second model year and being part of a field study group at one's own cost, but what's one to do if it's along the lines of necessity? That's not really my case, but don't really want to just sit on the idea either while someone wishes they could get out and do more. I'll likely have to place and order and wait 6 months for it to be ready to take home, and then I get to work with modifying it for my/our needs while the snow flies. I don't think so.

On a side note - I was at least able to test out a transfer board I made today with some success. The board has recessed wheel ways to guide a trolly base of sorts which has a pivoting base w/seat pad mounted on its top. The individual moves much more easily than trying to simply sliding them along the board surface, especially with pull handles installed. I might be able to delay this vehicle investment for a bit now at least.

Take care all.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts