Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I'd start this thread to just gather together all the pros and cons of the Promaster. Here are some things that I have gathered.

PRO: Lots of space to stand up in the back of the Promaster. I am 6'1" and I can stand up fully.

CON: The steering wheel is not as adjustable as I would like it to be.

CON: The divider prevents the seat from moving backwards as far as I'd like it to.

Feel free to add to the list.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm 5'10, which I believe is right around the average height or just above and I found space to be perfect, even leg space seemed good enough to me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems like aftermarket dividers are the way to go based on comments elsewhere on this forum.
It is kind of a European seating position ala T1N Sprinter pre-2007. Takes getting used to.

Pro: 3 passenger bench seat
Pro: very intuitive climate controls
Pro: Pentastar V6 is one of Ward's 10 best engines in the world for a couple years running
Pro: very cheap maintenance
Pro: to some, the FWD

Con: to some, the FWD
Con: maybe?? the 6spd auto trans. The jury is out
Con: where's the diesel?
Con: smallish uconnect/radio screen
Con: to some, strange position of turn signal lever

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
For me personally the pros and cons I see relative to my interest for camper conversion -- although I don't own one at present:

Pros: Extra width compared to other vans, lower center of gravity, lower overall height, unitized construction, vertical side walls, high cargo volume for length, and so on. Too many to list.

Cons: Fuel tank smaller than I'd prefer, auto transmission gear ratios, lack of second alternator bracket, second battery with factory inverter, would like highest-roof option available in Europe, would like higher GCWR for greater towing, would like extra-long version in 24-ft length like Sprinter.

None of these are deal breakers but I do see them as cons in my decision process when comparing to competition.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Con: Lack of power adjustable seat. Spending as much time behind the wheel as im sure a lot of you do I like to be a comfortable as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
My opinion

Pros: I like the looks (not everyone will agree with this)
Front wheel drive
Low floor and roof with lots of space.
Straight walls ,it don't slope in.
Turns very sharp.
Cons Transmission better not break because I will have to eat my words(carnut)
The two windows do not go all the way down,
Stuff that I wanted for an option were not available(upper inside panels
Ruff in rear heat and wood floor with the divider,but got the divider)
And waiting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Windows don't go down?

Is this true? I can't believe the front windows won't roll down all the way down.

Cons :
The two windows do not go all the way down,

Larry

·
Registered
512 Posts
The front windows don't go all the way down, and they are very small windows in the first place.
I spaced my steering volume down because I don't want to feel like I'm driving a school bus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cons: The reason I will not buy.

In gas model they used the drive train from a car and then did not make available the AWD that you can get in the car.

Brake locking differential does not lock the differential.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The traction control on the Ducato (Traction Plus) is very effective and has a different logic from a classic traction control...
I think it will be the same on the Promaster.
About the AWD version, I hope it will be available in the future as in Europe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The traction control on the Ducato (Traction Plus) is very effective and has a different logic from a classic traction control...
I think it will be the same on the Promaster.
About the AWD version, I hope it will be available in the future as in Europe.
Not unless the Sprinter AWD sells well when it gets here as a 2015.....

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
The Sprinter AWD is only the 1500 model, from what I was told... I really wished they could have had the 2500 and 3500s with it, because it would make boondocking with an upfit a lot easier.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Sprinter AWD is only the 1500 model, from what I was told... I really wished they could have had the 2500 and 3500s with it, because it would make boondocking with an upfit a lot easier.
True that. The 1500 AWD system after reading a bit about it, is a very light duty setup....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pros
FWD good in the white stuff
Handles better than Sprinter
$10,000 cheaper than Sprinter
Turning radius
No signs of rust yet :) (our 2010 sprinter had a rust repair done predelivery)

Cons
Low load floor actually higher than both back and side steps on sprinter, making it harder to get in and out
Diesel option not available yet and quite expensive ($6,000) in Canada
Turn signal stalk placement

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pros. Drives very nice. No feeling of tipping like my Express when I go around corners or on the mountain passes. Very peppy. Love the back up camera! Love the big doors although you lose wall space. Nice overhead space.

Cons

Gas mileage 15 combined:(
Vinyl seat hard and uncomfortable. I am 5'7" and my feet almost dangle. The seat is too high in the air. It almost feels like you are going to hit your head on the shelves.

There is no shelf within easy reach for me to put a soda or the phone. Cupholders are on the floor.
Bumper is tiny.hard to get into the van without hand holds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts