Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My copilot used to not set off the seat belt sensor. When we came back after a two week trip, she looked like she'd been eating pretty well, and sure enough the Promaster said its diet time. That, and no more riding shot gun and creating that infernal noise.

·
Registered
970 Posts
vacations can be a bitch:)
Eww!! That was a rough one!

From experience I can tell you that if you disconnect all three connectors at the seat base, you will get a constant "air bag" light on the dash, but no other ill effects.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

From experience I can tell you that if you disconnect all three connectors at the seat base, you will get a constant "air bag" light on the dash, but no other ill effects.
Well my wife rides there too, so I don't think we want to do that.

Not really looking for solutions, just thought it was funny that the van was calling out the dog for being overweight.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Guessing at a 40 pound dog?

Not as sensitive as the passenger seat in our Mini Cooper. The 12# Italian greyhounds don't set it off, but the 17# mutt does.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guessing at a 40 pound dog?

Not as sensitive as the passenger seat in our Mini Cooper. The 12# Italian greyhounds don't set it off, but the 17# mutt does.
I think she's more in the 55-60 lb range (probably should be sub 50). I read somewhere that the airbag only deploys at over 60 pounds to protect smaller kids, was thinking that the seatbelt might have the same weight limit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a problem with my two rather large dogs standing between the front seats of my Eurovan - a large wire going to the fuel pump (under the carpet) would randomly short out on a sharp edge of a hole in the floor. It took quite a lot of investigation to figure this out!
With those lightweight covers to the battery and fuel pump on the PM, I think I would have a similar problem - something to watch for...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ugggsigh. So the PMs have those annoying sensors that beep to annoy passengers into putting on a seat belt, I take it? And there's no way to toggle it off so that I can load stuff on the seat without hearing it whine or clicking in the seat belt which will be in the way and would be a pain even if it isn't in the [email protected]#[email protected]%^?grrrrmbllllllle?!!!!.. I think I feel a hate crime coming on.

:)PP

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Ugggsigh. So the PMs have those annoying sensors that beep to annoy passengers into putting on a seat belt, I take it? And there's no way to toggle it off so that I can load stuff on the seat without hearing it whine or clicking in the seat belt which will be in the way and would be a pain even if it isn't in the [email protected]#[email protected]%^?grrrrmbllllllle?!!!!.. I think I feel a hate crime coming on.

Plug the seat belt together and run the belt behind the seat.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Find the wire(s) for that sensor, cut or short them as needed.

If I'm reading the early bit from @kip correctly, that'd affect the airbag, though, no?
@uncubed suggestion that would "work" to "solve" the immediate problem, each time one took the time to do it, but why should we have to do that. There should be a way to flick or tap some something that deactivates the "helpful reminder" (ideally for the remaining time that the engine is on). I've got no problem with them engineering something to increase the prevalence seat belt usage, but c'mon now engineers.. When was the last time you ran into something that had only one use case?..

·
Registered
604 Posts

You could always build a simple tray out of some plywood and something like 1x3? Something that would easily lay on the seat, with a bit of a tail which would slip into the gap between seat and back cushions. It would keep the weight off the center of the seat where the sensor seems to be and with an edge built around it, it would also keep your objects on the seat during quick stops.

Easy to install, easy to remove. Very useful if you carry things on the seat often... No seat belt latched and no airbag activated.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You could always build a simple tray out of some plywood and something like 1x3? Something that would easily lay on the seat, with a bit of a tail which would slip into the gap between seat and back cushions. It would keep the weight off the center of the seat where the sensor seems to be and with an edge built around it, it would also keep your objects on the seat during quick stops.

Easy to install, easy to remove. Very useful if you carry things on the seat often... No seat belt latched and no airbag activated.
This is what I did! After a long drive last summer to go camping with my dog.
She did not look to comfortable and built one when I got back. Now she can
lay down and stretch out and nap. No seat belt alarm and no air bag going off.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Very true. I could. Just hate that I'd have to immediately undertake DIY mods in order to put stuff in front seat of my car, being spoiled as I am by the last couple decades where that was permitted without the need for either carpentry or deactivating safety measures.
@uncubed: redonkulously cute.. woof.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is what I did! After a long drive last summer to go camping with my dog.
She did not look to comfortable and built one when I got back. Now she can
lay down and stretch out and nap. No seat belt alarm and no air bag going off.
Nice... My dog would insist on a 3" or 4" piece of memory foam to top it off though... He's just a wee bit spoiled!

Well what can I expect? That's what he has behind the front seats and the sprinter seat I installed...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice doggy solution. Chili Dawg just doesn't find the PM seats that conducive to her needs. Long trips usually means my wife gets shotgun though. Thought about some sort of raised platform between the seats as she does like to a bit of sight seeing as we travel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts