Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Promaster Winnebago Travato with 3, 250 miles on it. I was taking it into the dealer to have the P32 & P62 recalls done. I merged onto the freeway when the transmission decided to downshift into either 2nd or 3rd gear making it to over rev like it was in limp mode. I let up on the gas pedal and the rpm’s dropped. I then gently gave it gas and it was over revving again. I tried to manually upshift but the indicator on the dash still had the “D”. Here I am doing 60mph at 6,000 rpm. No check engine lite on the dash either. After looking at it the dealer said it was the speed sensor. That was replaced and the problem is still there. They contacted STAR and the dealer was told to do some other tests. STAR now wants serial number and wants the dealer to pull the transmission and take pictures so STAR can determine whether to replace or rebuild the transmission. The problem now is that although the dealer has the lift designed for the Promaster, it is unable to support the Travato because of the added weight from the cabinets, generator, etc. that Winnebago has installed. The dealer is now trying to figure out what to do.
Thought I would let other Travato owners know what is happening with mine.
Has anyone else have this over revving issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
HUGE over-revving issue coming down hills.

HUGE, as in the first time it happened it scared the **** out of me. I thought the motor was going to blow and there was nothing I could do fast enough to get it to stop.

My scenario is slightly different though. I was driving though the Oregon Coast Range on my way to the coast for New Years. Coasting down very long hills about 60-65, the thing downshifts TWICE!!! I'm not touching the brakes or the gas, and all of a sudden the thing is reving to the MOON...

My first thought was to NOT click it into neutral as I've heard others say there is a super loud clunk when shifting back into "D"

Tried clicking shifter into manual mode and upshifiting. Dash indicated I was in 4th, so I up shifted twice and the dash displayed a 6, while the tranny was clearly still in 4th.

Hit the brakes to slow down 10-15 miles per hour (keep in mind I'm 10-15 seconds into this thing revving to the moon, and starting to panic a bit) Nothing, still stays stuck in 4th.

Finally realized I need to hold the gas steady, Not as to accelerate, but just enough to trick it that I need power, not engine breaking. It then decided 5th, then ultimately 6th was the right gear to be in.

I still can't believe it shifted down that far while at such a high speed, with no input through the pedals...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That little high revving engine can take it no problems. If it were a big v8 then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blakelpd5,

Thanks for the reply. That is really scary! I have heard that these want to go down hills or you should shift into the same gear as going up the hill. Wondering if that is why it down shifted by itself.
My problem happened on flat land, not as scary, but an eye opener.
Did you ask the dealer about this or is it something normal to happen?
There is guy on the expediatersonline.com forum that had the same thing happen to him going down hills in Virginia. He never said whether there was a problem or if it is normal.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The down shifting is normal, mine has been doing it since day one.
This was brought up in another thread many many moons ago.
I will search the link and post it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The downshifting/engine braking is normal. I drive in the mountains a lot and at first it was a little alarming but now that I'm used to it I kind of appreciate the fact that the software is trying to maintain the speed that I want. A light pressure on the throttle will keep the downshift from happening. This engine can safely rev to 6400 rpm, although there is no redline on our tachometers, and if you are use to lugging a large American V8 that can take a little getting use to as well. Trust me it will not fly apart. Max horsepower is at 6400 rpm so this engine needs to rev to get work done. Unlike big V8 that have max horsepower at 4900-5200 and a redline at 5500 (that extra rpm past peak hp is basically useless). Remember that horsepower is a measurement of how much work is being done and torque is how much force is being applied. Horsepower is torque X rpm/5252. While the Pentastar engine has a nice wide and flat torque band it needs to rev to get the work done. I know we were talking about engine braking but my point is don't be afraid to rev this thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the replies.
Note that my over revving happened on a flat surface merging onto the freeway. It never did get out of the over rev (limp mode). I would let up on the gas and the rpm's would drop, give it a little gas and it's revving at 6,000 rpm and I'm doing 60mph.
I am aware of the Promaster engine braking which it does going down hills. I have experienced that coming out of the Sierra and Yosemite, glad it's there. My Altima does the same thing, so I'm familiar with how the engine braking works.
The ball is now in the engineering department at Chrysler.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The downshifting did take some getting used to. Its normal, but 6000rpm on flat ground isnt. Highly unlikely you have a bad trans-its something else thats causing it to do that. Its possible it has nothing to do with the trans at all. A misreading oil pressure sensor might put it into limp mode, which would lock the trans in 2nd or 3rd. Ditto for a cam position sensor, crank sensor, knock sensor, vehicle speed sensor. A bad engine ground might do that too. It takes a good diagnostician to find that stuff.

I am sometimes frustrated by the trans programming - i feel its clumsy. In mountains, im often fighting with the trans. I give it more gas to get it into 5th, and it does nothing. So i give it more, and then it drops to 4th and revs past 5000. Fiddling with the shifter helps, but 30 years of controlling the kickdown with my foot is a hard habit to brake.

I would also like the option of having a true manual shift mode. As it stands, the shifter is a high gear lockout. I'd like to be able to start off in second for snowy conditions, or better control engine braking. The tow/haul mode is mostly useless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts