Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It rained all day Saturday, then turned cold Sunday night, down into the low 20's. Went out to start it and it turned over very slowly. Finally got it started with the help of a jump and smoke rolled out from under the hood from the fan belt.

No power steering, battery and engine light on. I think water leaked down behing the hood and froze up the power steering pump preventing it from turning. When washing the van, I've noticed steam coming out from under the hood when rinsing with the engine hot, so there's a problem with sealing water from the engine compartment.

Hoping to get this fixed under warantee. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is strange. The weather does that all the time here and I've never had that happen. Hope it's something easy to fix keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the dealer and explained the problem. He gave me the number of roadside assistance, and an hour later, it's at the shop, no problem. He called yesterday and said the belt was toast and he was ordering a new idler pulley and alternator. He said the alternator was locked up, but didn't know why at this point.

It's going to be a couple days since the alternator was not available at his parts distribution warehouse. He also said they would check to see if there is a gasket or part missing to deflect rain water from the engine.

This was one of the early Promasters made in Mexico City, and I've read there were some training problems back then. I let you know what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the very same thing happen. Luckily mine broke loose and started but I did have smoke and a burning smell. I stopped by the local vinyl sign maker and got two pieces of magnetic vinyl that will cover the two hood vents next time it rains and freezes. From what I see and have heard, that will stop it. I will let you know, it is suppose to rain and freeze this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same experience , not frozen YET, but it will , Im notice after it rain opening up the hud, that the engine get wet on the top, and over the air box , this its not normal and it will damage the components

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had that very concern this morning when I had to put windshield washer for the first time ever (Is it me or do we need a funnel to fill the windshield washer tank ???? Really ??? )

Anyway , I did notice a LOT of water /snow inside the hood. The hood vents are at a very weird angle. I will have to look into this, big time. The weather here in Montreal is really brutal these days: switching from warm/wet/rainy to bitter bitter cold in a matter of hours !

·
Registered
12 Posts
No frozen engine, yet!

I do agree with you on the windshield washer filler neck location. Poorly designed. Would've been a better design to extend the neck an inch or two and sweep it up a bit more so that the opening rim is truly level....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here's the deal!

Dealer called today and the P/M is ready to go. They didn't find any missing seals around the hood, but they DID say the alternator locked up due to water entry. They ordered a new alternator and it came with a plastic shield to be installed over the alternator.

So problem is solved. You might talk to your dealer about this. No recall is out as of yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my serpentine belt break on a 2016 Dodge Promaster 3500. Believe water from windshield cowl leaked and froze. At the dealer now to replace belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts