Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
Well, I make it official. My intro post and a howdy duty from Northern California. Looking forward to picking ya'lls brain and already have been lurking around the site getting some good info... and of course leaving confused sometime too! Ah, the online forum. A melting pot of good, bad and everything in between. I've spent to much time on many forums as I own a snowmobile, dirt bike and a few other motors. Always a great source of information...how to interpret the info is a whole other beast!
So, after a lot of toil, I've decided to trade in my 2008 Toyota Tundra, lifted dream truck :crying: for a PM van. I get cold feet in regards to getting rid of my truck, but my spirits are lifted when I look at the new PM and think of the conversion possibilities! The van will house my wife and I and become our adventure-mobile for hopefully 100's of thousands of miles and many years to come. We've choosen the Diesel, 1500, 136 WB, high roof for the two of us, our dog, gear and snowmobiles or dirt bikes or hobie cat in tow. We go to baja every year and travel the states indefinitely on climbing, biking, skiing and kayaking trips. We feel this rig will be oh so perfect for stealth urban bivies, cold ski area parking lot nights, windy baja beaches and hopefully a bit of 4x4ing in there somewhere to remote climbing locations. Will have to see about that though. Anybody lifted theirs yet?. Money will flow steadily out of my bank account for years to come as we dial it in!:laugh: Modding vehicles is a disease of mine.
So, with a bit of trepidation, we go to trade in my truck on monday and order a new 2016 PM. The real question right now... WHAT COLOR!? Lets kick this thread off with what color you think is the best for low profile stealthyness, to be noticed the LEAST. Camo? :laugh:
Thanks and great to be a part of the crew. NM - N. Calif.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I ordered the sandstone metallic as I know it blends well with the earth sort of like camo, and when the earth gets on it no need to wash it off it just blends in, just wait for the rain. I think it also makes the van look a smaller compared with white Red Blue etc. making it stealthier. BTW you say 4x4ing, you know this thing is front wheel drive right?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
Your post gets me pumped to keep working on mine! I bought the van to head south through Baja and Central America so lifting it would be nice. I have found who all the suspension shops use for new springs: www.coilsprings.com. Reach out to them and they will make you factory spec longer springs for the front. As for the rear the challenge is the low axle. For now I just have the largest size tires that will fit, which gives me a little lift overall.

Best color for stealth? White of course. Best is to look like a regular cargo van. All of the truck campers, RV's and Vanagons on my street get warnings from parking cops. I don't get them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally bought white. Since FCA is replacing it, I ordered silver. Mine will be a dual use, work and travel, and I just like the look of the silver. Plan on a roof A/C, will paint the cover to match the truck. Prob will add a roof vent too. Oh, keep the Tundra, best pickup on the road. Sorry to all the Chevy, Ford and Ram fans. I got to drive all 5 of the pickups when the Tun dra was introduced in 07. The Tundra was FAR better than all the others. Nissan was pitiful!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
White will obviously be cooler in warmer climates. I like the graphite grey metallic maybe next PM will be this color. Poppa53 I have to disagree with you about the Tundra I have an 08 Nissan Titan love it. I though the Tundra was awful, in fact the worst of all the manufacturers ride/ergonomics/fit/finish etc..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, very excited about the front wheel drive. Thanks for the off road tips, thats great. While I like the sandstone color, I think white might be the ticket. Thats what my wife said too... "looks like all other cargo vans"... until we mount all our toys on it! lol
Yer killin me by saying to keep the tundra! I need support to sell it and get the PM!

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
That reminds me -
My iPhone's bigger than your iPhone - na, na, na, na;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Al-Ko last year introduced in the market a combination of coil + shock absorber to improve performance of front suspensions and that also lifts the front.
There are two versions of the AL-KO Comfort Suspension (ACS), "light" maximum 1850 kg axle load with +25mm lift and "heavy" 2100 kg axle load with +40 mm lift.
It cost mounted around Euro 1400 installed.
http://www.al-ko.de/ACS-Comfort-Suspension-FIAT.htm

An alternative are the air suspensions for front and back, there are several solutions.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
Al-Ko last year introduced in the market a combination of coil + shock absorber to improve performance of front suspensions and that also lifts the front.
There are two versions of the AL-KO Comfort Suspension (ACS), "light" maximum 1850 kg axle load with +25mm lift and "heavy" 2100 kg axle load with +40 mm lift.
It cost mounted around Euro 1400 installed.
http://www.al-ko.de/ACS-Comfort-Suspension-FIAT.htm

An alternative are the air suspensions for front and back, there are several solutions.
Looks nice but new cool springs are less than $300 here.

Which air suspension systems provide any considerable lift?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts