Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the van and now thinking about replacing my 2011 gmc reg cab sb with the low roof van.

This would be for my own personal use so probably overkill.

I guess it comes down to the van vs pickup debate but with owning a van for personal use.

Anyway just starting to look into this

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Yes it would be good if you ride dirt bike or motorcross as you can keep the bike
in there at all times locked up.
The new pick up trucks are very high off the ground and do not carry much that is
longer than 6 feet with out dropping the tailgate.
I have a pick up truck and do not like it. And also I have a cube van for work.
Want to have the Promaster for both and get rid of the cube and truck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Mine will be for personal use. I'll be switching from a GMC extended cab 4WD truck. Been in nothing but trucks since the 70s.

The idea of not having to buy camper shells and crawl around on my knees in truck beds anymore is awesome.

Being able to walk upright into my toy hauler is a dream come true. I just hope we can get some of the cool theft proof door lock accessories the UK guys have, over here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...The new pick up trucks are very high off the ground and do not carry much that is longer than 6 feet with out dropping the tailgate...
Pickup trucks have been perverted from the original usage by the market. t's about impossible to find a regular cab long box on the lot unless you live in farm country.
Its understandable why. That separate cab and box keeps as well as body on frame construction keeps the interior noise level down. A van will need quite a bit of interior work to compare in luxury.
There used to be a significant van conversion industry but that's dwindled down to a couple players. It will be interesting to see if Promaster and Transit spark a resurgence in van conversions.
I too am interested in personal use. A big unknown is HVAC. If you insulate it and put an interior in it can you heat and cool it? I see now options for rear heat and AC yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
nothing wrong with havin a van for personal. having a van in general is useful. i have so many friends and relatives who ask to borrow my van.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Saw the van and now thinking about replacing my 2011 gmc reg cab sb with the low roof van.

This would be for my own personal use so probably overkill.

I guess it comes down to the van vs pickup debate but with owning a van for personal use.

Anyway just starting to look into this
I too started out driving pickups back when I was in high school, back in the 70's. When I got my first truck a friend of mine said," Get ride of that thing now or you will never be able to get out of owning one". He was right and I have driven a truck ever sense. First it was just a pickup, then one with a cap, then my first van. When I used it more for work, it was real nice being able to lock up all your tools and materials. Today I have an 05 low roof Sprinter which I use for work and play. I have found a van to be a "fits all" kind of vehicle, I have even used mine as a camper. The only thing a van can't do is be good in snow, and my Sprinter is the worst one I have ever had. But the Sprinter has made it imposable for me to ever go back to a regular van. Everything else is like crawling into a cave. Thats why I ordered a Promaster back in November, I'm hoping the front wheel drive helps in the traction department. If you use your pickup for anything at all, then I think you will like a van.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can definitely see guys into ATV's and Bike's using the promaster to haul their toys around in. But it might be too much of an overkill with the high roof, might be a lot of unused space.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Using the PM as a personal use vehicle is exactly why I've been following this forum. I believe this is an excellent platform for replacing a light duty pickup for hauling "stuff" out of the weather etc. Easy step in and actually being covered and able to stand up too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can definitely see guys into ATV's and Bike's using the promaster to haul their toys around in. But it might be too much of an overkill with the high roof, might be a lot of unused space.
Overkill? Over kill is a $45,000 pickup truck with leather interior, with your toys riding in the back, uncovered.

I think the high van at $34,000 is a dreamy toy hauler.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I too started out driving pickups back when I was in high school, back in the 70's. When I got my first truck a friend of mine said," Get ride of that thing now or you will never be able to get out of owning one". He was right and I have driven a truck ever sense. First it was just a pickup, then one with a cap, then my first van. When I used it more for work, it was real nice being able to lock up all your tools and materials. Today I have an 05 low roof Sprinter which I use for work and play. I have found a van to be a "fits all" kind of vehicle, I have even used mine as a camper. The only thing a van can't do is be good in snow, and my Sprinter is the worst one I have ever had. But the Sprinter has made it imposable for me to ever go back to a regular van. Everything else is like crawling into a cave. Thats why I ordered a Promaster back in November, I'm hoping the front wheel drive helps in the traction department. If you use your pickup for anything at all, then I think you will like a van.
funny you ask about traction. Right now its snowing heavily where I work, just went for a quick walk across the street to the coffee shop, as I was waiting for the light to change there was an Econoline and Promaster lined up at the light. When the light flipped the promaster proceeded as normal while the econoline gave the familiar rear end waggle, and the econoline had snows on!

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Then you have people in pick up trucks with stuff coming out of the back of it
on a high speed freeway and causing accidents of others swerving trying to
avoid it. DANGEROUS!

·
Registered
129 Posts
funny you ask about traction. Right now its snowing heavily where I work, just went for a quick walk across the street to the coffee shop, as I was waiting for the light to change there was an Econoline and Promaster lined up at the light. When the light flipped the promaster proceeded as normal while the econoline gave the familiar rear end waggle, and the econoline had snows on!
Before I saw an add for the Promaster I was willing to wait for the Ford Transit. Seeing how they have been making them in Europe for who knows how long, I figured it would be good van here. Then I read that the U.S. model would be rear wheel drive. Did Ford ever hear the phrase," if it works, don't fix it".? To me it would have been better if they just re-did the body on the Econoline. On second thought, maybe thats what they are doing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Before I saw an add for the Promaster I was willing to wait for the Ford Transit. Seeing how they have been making them in Europe for who knows how long, I figured it would be good van here. Then I read that the U.S. model would be rear wheel drive. Did Ford ever hear the phrase," if it works, don't fix it".? To me it would have been better if they just re-did the body on the Econoline. On second thought, maybe thats what they are doing.
The North American Transit is a all new vehicle. Unibody like the Sprinter & ProMaster.
Not a rebodied Econoline....

·
Registered
129 Posts
The North American Transit is a all new vehicle. Unibody like the Sprinter & ProMaster.
Not a rebodied Econoline....
The North American Transit is an all new vehicle like the Sprinter, and to me thats the problem. The Promaster on the other hand, while somewhat Americanized is still front wheel drive. The Transit now has its engine in the front and the drive wheels in the back, like a Sprinter. My guess is it will have the same bad traction that my Sprinter has. I mean think about it. Ford already has a van with rear wheel drive here in the U.S.. Then in Europe they have a great front wheel drive van, the Transit. Why not just bring it over like Dodge is doing with the Promaster?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Why not just bring it over like Dodge is doing with the Promaster?"quote"
Because Ford is letting Ram be the "canary in the coal mine".
People are afraid of change. If the Promaster does well,then Ford will likely follow
down the road. This is a big gamble for Ram (front wheel drive).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why not just bring it over like Dodge is doing with the Promaster?"quote"
Because Ford is letting Ram be the "canary in the coal mine".
People are afraid of change. If the Promaster does well,then Ford will likely follow
down the road. This is a big gamble for Ram (front wheel drive).
I also think a big part of that is not cannibalizing Transit connect sales.

·
Registered
247 Posts
FWD isn't a problem.
In Europe a 4 ton version of the Ducato is sold since 2006.
Here the FWD is preferred by most of the drivers.
RWD is preferred only by Heavy Duty users, that use to overload the truck.
The Iveco Daily is the best example of this category of truck.
We have a 3,5 tons limit for driving with the standard Euro "B" driving licence, but the Iveco Daily is so heavy that it can carry only about 1 ton, so the most part of the Dailys used in the construction field are often overload :eek: ...and they are built for that!;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my Tundra with a Silver Low Roof 136 WB Promaster for personal use, and I haven't looked back...In fact, I wish I could have done it 10 years ago. I can do anything with my Promaster that my Pickup did and more. It ain't as pretty, my kids hate the looks of it, my wife is neutral on it...but I like it. I just refer to it as the "Beast".

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's why I am here! I have one dirt bike that is also a supermoto part time, plus three vintage motorcycles which I would love to vintage race - but I am not gonna leave them in the back of my pickup while I sleep overnight at a hotel!

So the high roof 159wb PM seems perfect to me. By my calculations I think I can fit two bikes in the back (side by side), and then the front part of the bay I am thinking of putting in a camper style seat that folds flat, so that I can also use the PM for a light duty camper - whether it is at the track or truly camping.

:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd like a new van for personal use. I currently have an E350 with a second row bench and the back of the van closed off for motorcycles (dirt bikes). We also use the van to tow our camper trailer (about 4000 pounds loaded). I get about 16 MPG with bikes and about 10-11 with bikes and the trailer (plus wife and kids!)

I like the idea of the PM, but there are still gaps for me.

1) I need a crew cab, or an easy way to get there. The sprinter has a crew option, but I don't want to spend at least $10K more and the size is less practical (need to go to a bigger size to make everything work). I love the ducato crew here (http://c0.carsie.ie/d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe91481dcee1822fc0a64bb75fe880d394d.jpg) - I so wish they had this option now...I suspect it will happen in the future.

2) The tow rating is on the edge for me. Once I load a few bikes+people+partition in the van (on the gas model) I'm at about 4K left for towing. That is right on the edge and I'm not thrilled about that. I'm much more comfortable being under the max. This means...

3) I need to go to the Diesel option to get the extra 1000 pounds of towing capacity. I like the idea of the TD and I'm sure it tows great, but $4K upcharge for fuel that costs $1 more per gallon on a vehicle that on a busy year I will drive 10K miles per year...it is just less interesting for me.

If you twisted my arm now I'd put in an order for a gas, 2500 159 with glass slides on passenger AND driver and I'd figure out a way to mount some Sienna reclining captains chairs on elevated pedestals so I could build a raised floor for the rear passengers to be even with the front seats in height. I'd roll the dice that the HVAC system could heat/cool both rows and I'd build a partition behind the captains chairs...seems like a lot of work though for a $35K van.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
19 Participants
DieselPromaster
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing