Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I release the emergency brake there is a beeping that goes on. It's like a headlight on reminder sound. The gear shift can be in any gear when this happens. I can pull the brake on to the first click and it stops. The brake light goes on but I don't believe the brake has really activated as there is no resistance when I start driving.

I'm thinking it's either a cable adjustment or the switch.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, how was it solved. I would rather solve it than go to the dealer.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is a parking brake not an emergency brake. Sounds like an austment is needed. Are you sure it's not a seatbelt buzzer or something else? Does it say release parking brake on the dash?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Just so we are on the same page...according to Wikipedia, an emergency brake is a separate brake system in a vehicle for use in case of failure of the regular (hydraulic or air) brakes and commonly used as a parking brake. I know, the manual calls it a parking brake, I'm from the old school.Anyway, there areno warning messages on the dash, and the seat belt is fastened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem

We just experienced this same problem for the first time today. We have a 2014 Itasca Viva on the ProMaster chassis. We have 3600 miles on it. We parked it in front of the house to clean it, and set the emergency brake (I am old school, too). So we're all on the same page, it's the lever you pull on the left on the driver's seat. And just as described by the original poster, an alarm sounded as soon as I released the brake--a loud, very obnoxious repetitive beeping, much louder than the fasten seatbelt sound. If I pull the lever one notch, the "brake" light illuminated on the instrument panel and the beeping stops. But as soon as I release the brake (and the light goes out), the beeping starts again. So, I am looking for info on this problem as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Terminology seems very important to you! For what it's worth, there is a recall on 2014 Ram ProMaster commercial vans due to the possibility of brake fluid leaking from a torn brake hose. That might cause brake failure, which might constitute an emergency, and perhaps that "parking brake" lever might be able to at least slow the thing down--so maybe "emergency brake" isn't so inaccurate after all. But to the original poster--I was told by the dealership where we bought the RV that it could be a problem with the sensors below the seats (two white sensors spaced a fraction of an inch apart under each front seat). If the swivel seats aren't properly locked in place, the alarm sounds when the, ahem, parking brake, is disengaged. I tried locking/unlocking the seats, but no luck. Have a service appointment on Monday.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What's in a name?

Alright, I don't have an answer for the original question, but I find the banter amusing so I have to chime in. Anyone who doubts the usefulness of a "hand brake" in an "emergency", has likely never had the hydraulic brakes fully fail on a vehicle while driving. I have, and while this 'hand brake" has nowhere near the mechanical advantage of the hydraulic system, for someone who can think fast in an "emergency", it certainly can prevent your vehicle from careening into whatever is ahead. I know it as an emergency brake and I'm 38. Believe me that's not that old. My grandpa used to call it a hand brake, he would be ninety eight god rest his soul. Now that's old school. So weather it's an emergency, parking, or hand brake, it would seem that there's little point in arguing what to call it, we all knew what was meant. And if your hydraulic brakes ever fail, gradually apply it. It will stop you eventually. Just don't tug to hard, if you lock up the rear tires things can get kinda hairy.:laugh:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Viva and thank you for your reply. We are experiencing that exact problem. We have the Winnebago Travato on the Promaster chassis. In fact when we were doing the walk-thru the problem happened. The salesman imnmediately took it to the Dodge dealer and was back in about 20 minutes. He said the driver's seat was not in the "home" position. We drove home without the beep. Havn't used it until a few days ago, started it, released the brake and the beeping started. The seat had not been rotated.I looked at the white sensors, they seemed to be aligned and the seat was locked in place, could not rotate it. I won't be able to take it in to the dealer for a couple of weeks.
Let us know how it was fixed.
Thanks to the others for the replies.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't care what you guy"s call it, hand brake, parking brake, chicken choker, woe stick...but calling it an emergency brake implies powers well beyond it's capabilities. pjsharpe, I am glad that it worked well in your situation. A full system failure on a modern dual zone brake system is so unlikely that your more likely to win the lotto. Sorry it happened to you. In that situation, if possible you should downshift to reduce speed as much as possible then apply the hand brake to come to a complete stop. Applying the hand brake at freeway speeds could lock up the rear wheel and cause loss of control. An unloaded Promaster only has 30% of its weight over the rear wheels and could easily lock up. Any way, don't want to start a fight, call it what you want, it's just a pet peeve of mine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, here is my update. I took the Viva to the nearest Ram ProMaster service center this morning. The service tech checked it out and said I needed to take it to an Itasca dealer, because it was not an OEM issue. I had told him I thought it might be a seat position sensor problem, and he agreed. The parking brake is OEM, but the annoying alarm and the seat sensors are Itasca after-market items. He did show me how to lower the volume of the alarm, which helped the drive home considerably (it had been full volume on the way to the dealer). To the left of the steering wheel there is a small round wheel that rotates and controls the alarm's volume. It can't be turned off, unfortunately. So I drove home with plans to call the nearest Itasca dealer to have them take a look at it. Before doing that, I thought I would try to fix it now that the problem had definitely been identified. And it was an easy fix! At the front base of both swivel seats are two white sensors. When the seats are in the forward facing position, the sensors align one on top of the other. Obviously, but I'll state it anyway, when the seats are swiveled and not locked into place, the sensors are not aligned, and the alarm sounds when the parking brake is disengaged. The sensors on both seats were aligned and the alarm still sounded. I then noticed that the small gap between the sensors was larger on the passenger side compared to the driver's side. I just gave them a slight pinch with my fingers to move them closer together, and the alarm stopped. No tools, no expertise required--just lucked into the solution once I understood the problem. In retrospect, the problem developed just after we gave the RV a thorough inside cleaning. My wife thinks it's highly possible that she bumped the sensors while cleaning the cab, which changed the gap. So, problem fixed. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am a newbie and not real handy, so I like to have a detailed explanation--and so I posted same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Viva, thanks for that information. My passenger seat sensors are spaced too far apart. I tried pinching them closer, but didn't work. The sensors are mounted on a bracket, I can pinch the bottom one up and the beep stops. However the bracket goes back to the original position. Today I will try to take the bracket off and "bend" it up to be closer, or remove the washer that is between it and the seat to get it closer to the top sensor.
I talked to Winnebago about this and a tech said to take the wires off the sensor and put a jumper across the two terminals. I can understand taking the wires off, maybe that would do it. But why the jumper? When the wires are off, those sensors are not connected to anything.
If all of that fails, I will get another sensor like the one on top and glue it on the front side of the bottom sensor and see if that works. Since it is a magnetic switch it might work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you find out what was causing the beeping? We have a 2015 Travato with the 2014 Dodge Pro Master and it is going the same beeping with the parking/emergency brake not set. One click up, it stops but then you get the beeper indicating the parking brake is on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts