Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable is the Promaster and Ducato? Specifically the transmission.

The one thing about FWD transmissions is that they are usually smaller and parts are smaller which could mean that they aren't built for towing heavy weight. The load on the transmission could prematurely wear out the gears.

Does anyone have any information on the transmission reliability?

·
Registered
34 Posts
We won't know about the ProMaster's reliability until it is released and has some time on the road. But the Fiat Ducato seems to have its fans and haters. It's kind of a mixed bag. Some recognize it as a capable and reliable van. But I have heard others complaining about having to undergo a lot of maintenance and fixes. Since it is FWD, this could put more stress on the driveshafts of the vehicle. But be aware, some van drivers can be very bias and will hate on the Ducato with no actual driving experience.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume the transmission in the V6 is exclusive to North America. What transmission is it?

The diesel model could share the same transmission - which could be fiat made? Not much information on the transmission systems.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well nevermind I just found the transmissions for both models.

The Chrysler Pentastar 3.6L V6 engine will be offered in conjunction with the Chrysler 62TE six-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment. The Fiat 3.0L I4 diesel engine mated with the M40 six-speed automated manual transmission will be offered as an optional powertrain.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well nevermind I just found the transmissions for both models.

The Chrysler Pentastar 3.6L V6 engine will be offered in conjunction with the Chrysler 62TE six-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment. The Fiat 3.0L I4 diesel engine mated with the M40 six-speed automated manual transmission will be offered as an optional powertrain.
This says the Fiat. Are you sure this is for the Promaster? I read the older models of the Ducato had a manual but haven't read anything for the Promaster.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an automatic transmission.

Six speed automated manual transmission. dual clutch transmission?

The information came off the Promaster wikipedia page.

I don't know too much about the diesel promaster. I am only looking at the V6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts