Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
In 2017- 0 I believe.
Before that? I have never seen a figure and having one, I would love to know and have searched a bit.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My understanding is they sell about 18,000 promasters per year. I would wild guess diesels at maybe 20% of that? Dunno.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
IN 2016 Ram sold 40,440 Promasters, no report on diesel sales on goodcarbadcar.net
So maybe 9,000 diesels.?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I stand corrected. I wonder how much of that is postal sales.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
I'm finding in the used market it's about 6%, dealers in my area rarely stock the diesel version.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
499 Posts
If someone were to come out with a nice Turbo kit for the gas motor it would really help those of us that are at altitude.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
For FCA, it's about profit margin, supporting the parts and training for a Promaster diesel does not make sense when the sales numbers are so low.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Sad but probably true. This may mean the loss of this diesel option which from my experience is a sad thing. I keep being wowed by it’s drivability, reliability, ease of service, fuel mileage, quietness, and miles between refueling. Don’t be misled by the two recent posters with issues, that represents a small percent of diesel owners here. There is a side of me that wishes FCA had introduced the diesel exclusively first, worked out the bugs and then brought the gasser into the line. As it worked out that first 6 months of debugging the diesel pushed many to the gas van who might have enjoyed the diesel but have never tried one for more than a short test or not at all. Oh well that’s the past. I am not seeing much evidence that the I-4 diesel will be reintroduced in 2018 even though FCA has EPA clearance for the 3.0L V6 The 2018 fleet info does not include it. RIP?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The 3-liter I-4 seems too old for light-duty (automotive) PM application. If a Diesel engine is offered again, it would not surprise me if they go with smaller inline 4, in range of 2.0- to 2.3-liters. It's lighter and makes comparable power and torque, plus it's more economical.

While they are at it, they should offer a manual and or automatic transmission. I'd bet the AMT scares off some buyers.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
They should have used a Cummins and had one transmission for both engines, like Ford did (3 engines and 1 transmission).

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
That 90º V8 would not fit in the van as configured I am sure. It is a very large engine and that in part explains why the trucks have such a massive front. Nissan is using the Cummins but I understand FCA is not going to in their pickups. Time will tell. I don’t think bringing this van to NA had an unlimited budget and cost to do the Cummins would have been high as the entire front chassis and sheetmetal/bumpers would have needed a change. Why they didn’t do the 60º 3.0 L V6 is a better question in my mind as the emissions would have been done already and shoehorning it into the van like they did the gas 3.6 should have been possible. Personally I favor the I-4 3.0 as it does the job so well and has a reputation for lasting forever! It existed in Europe with the ATM transmission in this van already so they only needed to adapt the Euro-6 emissions to ours, not an easy task apparently. At this time I think we are much more likely to get the V6 3.0L ecoboost than Cummins, or the 2.3 which would need an emissions package that doesn’t exist now. It is so easy to say put in a cummins but it ain’t gonna happen!
See: http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-te...s-ram-3-0l-ecodiesel-head-to-head-comparison/

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
This is all hind sight anyways.

Not the V8 or the V6, I was thinking the Cummins R2.8

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
That engine has NO emission’s certification for later than 1999 replacements in gassers! It’s torque and Hp are lower than our 3.0 and there are much better options! So much for hindsight. Realistically thinking forward we probably better hope the I-4 comes back. I have one as you and chance may too and I have no regrets nor complaints- oh well except that 1-2 shift is slow, like shifting a manual, which it is. The 29.3 mpg 600+ mile tank of diesel I just refilled makes you forget all that!
I cringe when the Transit is used as an example of a “good” thing. That van in Europe was front wheel drive, low floor, diesel, and reliable as far as I have heard. Why Ford didn’t bring that here as a choice I don’t understand. I have been a Ford owner for most of my life and I looked at the van they re-engineered and was shocked they screwed it up so badly. The diesel was a $6.000+ option! The floor is THREE steps from the ground, RWD! What were they thinking? And that nose, don’t let me start on that pigs face on a van! LOL

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
There have been a lot of thoughts about used diesels and if the option returned a premium on resale. There is a diesel specific dealer in S. NH that has used Promaster vans for sale from time to time. Here is an example of a 2015 silver 136” HT similar to mine with about 50K miles. They are asking $30K for a van I bought new for $34K. Now I know they will probably sell it for less but it gives an idea of what a decent looking, low mileage used diesel would be worth.
https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2015-ram-promaster-cargowb/6243565861.html

They also have a white 2014 diesel HT 159 with 90K miles and hard use by the looks of the inside. $24K
https://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2014-ram-promaster-cargowb/6213051136.html

The first one would make a great silver streak conversion with some awning CR Lawrence windows and cabinets. Of corse I would want to buy it for about 5K less!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts