Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New light bar I have been working on. Nothing in the market place looked good so I decided to make these. Downside they all are custom fabricated. Here is the preliminary mock up. Will be mounting lights next week to finish the mock up. If you like it I will be offering these possibly for sale. (~$5-600 each) I will post up more pics as I move along to finished product. At first I was going to do a more complete bumper guard, but after experimenting with various mounting points...a bigger bumper/light bar flexes like crazy and in an accident would cause more damage. The larger bumper guards look great, but they really flex all over the place. I could have done a more complex mounting but then the fabrication hours would really add up. This is a straight bolt on through the front bumper.

As with all light bars/bumper mounts; these are primarily cosmetic eye candy. A true protective front bumper would require extensive removal of stock bumper and modification into the unibody.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Job slamit06. Nice choice of bar-bumper. Looks Great. There's no solid placement on the Promaster. The hollow front is recessed so far inward, that even in a small fender bender, the van might loose it's three radiators. I bolted two 36 inch pieces of 3/4'' thick super strut onto the horizontal frame to support a 42 inch wide wood door saddle protruding 1.5''. Coincidently, 42 inch Moen grab bar fit for decoration or a little more protection from impact. Anything will help. Rear bumper is pathetic on this vehicle. I glued, screwed and fastened 3-2x4 =4.5'' wood on 5.5'' plastic coated-metal bumper. Now I can stand and sit on ten inch rear end and have a little protection from behind,in case of accident. Also,removed useless oversized-overhead plastic self and installed two Moen 18 inch grab bars. Something I wish,I had done before my last road-trip. Happy Trails.. DVD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Progress, the prototype is finished. 1 3/4 steel pipe with mount for light bar or individual lights. $600 , does not include light. PM me if interested in one and can get you more details...or easy to copy it if you can fabricate it yourself of course. Tabs can be made for light bar or round lights. I used a 32" light off Amazon (Eyourlife) that I got for $50 bucks. I played around with more complicated designs but they looked horrible with the lines and the mount for something more complicated and larger would require a lot more work, time, and material and still would look kind of dumb. Its not cheap because it has to be custom fabricated one at a time here is USA but it is a lot less than some other options out there for custom stuff. Mounting is pretty straight forward on the front bumper behind the plastic lower nose grill.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree its Steelcraft is a great price; but it just wasn't the clean look that enhanced the body lines that I wanted so I had to go custom. Everything I looked at available in USA look liked they just bolted something on front and no flow. This along with the side nerf bars (These are actually welded in and provide real protection) the entire look is just what I was after.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the light bar was for off-road use, no? I wouldn't want them on the road either coming toward me or behind me!
Yes off road use only for sure...the larger bars sold actually would cause more damage if you hit something as they are not really mounted properly to really prevent damage to front end. I would be using the light only on dirt roads or off highway, it would not be legal to light this up on the road...its crazy bright. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
Progress, the prototype is finished. 1 3/4 steel pipe with mount for light bar or individual lights. $600 , does not include light. PM me if interested in one and can get you more details...or easy to copy it if you can fabricate it yourself of course. Tabs can be made for light bar or round lights. I used a 32" light off Amazon (Eyourlife) that I got for $50 bucks. I played around with more complicated designs but they looked horrible with the lines and the mount for something more complicated and larger would require a lot more work, time, and material and still would look kind of dumb. Its not cheap because it has to be custom fabricated one at a time here is USA but it is a lot less than some other options out there for custom stuff. Mounting is pretty straight forward on the front bumper behind the plastic lower nose grill.

I see cool options for Sprinter and Transit Vans, but not much for the Promaster. Yours is simple and clean. Are these available to purchase? Website?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts