Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks. new owner of a 2015 promaster city wagon here. I've only done a few hundred KM on it since getting it from the dealer, but it seems like a good little van and is great for both my business and family...

but i joined this forum with a couple of questions. in the EVIC menu I only have speed beep and buzzer volume. what buzzer is that? isn't there supposed to be other options? changing the buzzer volume to 0 doesn't seem to have made any changes. I have the 5 inch touchscreen so i know some options are in there instead.
also is there any way to stop the seat belt buzzer when you first turn the key. my sub conscious routine has always been get in, turn on key to accessory, then fasten seat belt, then start the engine. this comes from years of driving diesels so gave glow plugs and fuel pump time to prime. but if i don't put seatbelt on first the buzzing blasts your ears.
sometimes i don't want to put the seatbelt on right away as i might just be getting in to do paperwork and just want the radio on.
I don't mind it beeping if i drive without the seatbelt on, because i always wear it. but is the high pitched scream necessary before i even start the engine????
please help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd love to have a solution to this one. It's SO LOUD. I haven't spent any time looking for the buzzer, but I have thoughts of finding it and beating it to death with a hammer.

There was a thread in the full-size promaster section about the same issue, and after 20 pages or whatever, the solution was to buy a seat belt extender for 4 dollars off amazon, and leave it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Solution:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Car-Seat-Belt-Extender-Certified/dp/B005J6JRMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1449872091&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=seat+belt+extender&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pull the cluster out, get some electrical tape and tape all the seams as well as the hole where the piezo speaker is. Its the only way as its built into the cluster. You'll notice a considerable decrease in volume. Id do a side by side of my old van vs my new van but I don't see good ole #022 around much, but its got the tape and its so much quieter.
I think the screws are T25's, two above the bezel and 4 holding it in. There is lots of length on the wire so you shouldn't need to unplug. If you do, disconnect the battery, otherwise you might have to take a trip to the dealer, some instrument clusters are stupid that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know this doesn't solve your buzzer problem, but can't you just push the power button on the volume knob and the radio comes on? Mine one does...And no key inserted, either. so no beeping while listening to the radio....I hope that helps.

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey. sorry guys, i was locked out of the forum for some reason. admin changed my password?

i appreciate the replies, id rather not use an extender. mainly as they will just make the belt too high for my liking.

I've been looking at the wiring, and found the seatbelt sensor is just two wires. I presume i could just unplug the connector under the seat and put a connector with a jumper wire in its place. has anyone tried that? or even just put one of those crimps that join wires together.

i know the radio turns on, but that doesn't help with my long muscle memory routine. I've tried to change my habit to seatbelt on before turning the key, but as i often get in the van carrying lots of stuff i always end up putting the key in just to free up my hand for other stuff, paperwork etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should look up the thread about this same issue with the full size PM. I think they addressed all this. It would be great if the wiring were different between the PM and PMC, and joining the two wires actually worked. I'm doubtful, though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Multimeter set to Ω, jam one end in on one wire, one on the other, put the seat belt in the buckle and buy a resistor thats close to the reading. Insert resistor into plug and no more beeps. Just don't let an insurance agency find out...
This is a common modification for people who put racing seats in modern cars with SRS airbags in the seats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seat belt buzzer

This one is curious. Going to have to go through my routine. I am not a fan of tampering with wiring or plugging vents in instrument cluster. Wiring changes can have costly unintended consequences and preventing air circulation can lead to overheating of cluster components. At the end of the day this is still a Fiat. With a Chrysler 4 cylinder. Until I get in and start my van in the morning, and verify what I do, you might try this. Leave your drivers door open while you start the motor. Then you can finish latching your seatbelt. And then close the door. I think that may prove useful. Another variation may be leave the parking brake set until you latch the belt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speed Beep

The speed beep setting is a warning alarm that goes off when the set speed is exceeded. It is set in 5 mph or kph increments from 0 to 125. I have mine set to 75 as that is 5 mph over our max speed limit around here. When you exceed the setting a warning tone goes off. The volume is the volume setting for that alarm I think. Have not verified that one yet. With the Tigershark 2.4 gas engine, 9 speed automatic, and smooth freeway ride, it will blow past that in no time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I realize this thread is over a year old since the last reply but maybe mine will bump it up.
My seat belt beeper was driving me crazy the other day. My seat belt was buckled and I was on the freeway and the beeper kept going off. I unlatched and re-latched it a few times but it kept randomly beeping. Then I realized it was going off when my 14 pound dog sitting in the passenger seat, would preposition herself. Is this a crazy theory or is the sensor in the passenger seat that sensitive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I had the same problem with my passenger seat. The seat belt beeper started the go off. When I took my gym bag and lunch off the passenger seat and put them on the floor, the beeping stopped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m experiencing the same issue. My EVIC mode button only brings up buzzer and speed beep. The manual says there should be more like time and date. Anyone else have this issue or a fix? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered this "seat belt extender" online from Seat Belt Pros". No more hideous beep during start up. The best $20.00 you will ever spend on your PMC. It's solid so it doesn't flop around at all and it actually makes it easier to buckle the belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I ordered this "seat belt extender" online from Seat Belt Pros". No more hideous beep during start up. The best $20.00 you will ever spend on your PMC. It's solid so it doesn't flop around at all and it actually makes it easier to buckle the belt.

$12 for 2 on ebay....

·
Registered
201 Posts
This solution was posted in the General Discussion forum, under "ear-splitting seat belt"

"Get in, sit down in the seat and close door, insert key do not turn on and then attach seatbelt. Then start vehicle and unhook & fasten seatbelt 3 times ending with it fastened. Turn vehicle off, disconnect seatbelt and open door. Completed! Now just start vehicle and the buzzer buzzes for 3-5 seconds and stops. It will not come back."

I understand that it allows the beep for 3 secs, then stops. I'll be trying it on my break. Also have extenders coming.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This solution was posted in the General Discussion forum, under "ear-splitting seat belt"

I'll be trying it on my break. Also have extenders coming.
Well. that doesn't work. The buzzer shuts off until the doors lock at speed then it rips yer ears off. Maybe if you idle along, you could get between short stops, but no guarantees that it won't be back next time you get in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you go to Seat Belt Pros you have to find RAM to find the Promaster City, it isn't listed under Dodge. I just ordered two and am looking forward to receiving them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts