Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Just joined as I have just discovered the Promaster City Wagon! Read all the reviews, watched the You Tube videos etc etc. I mountain bike and I also have a small camper ( Prolite Suite) that I pull with my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek MT for vacation road trips. Typically the bikes are on the roof of the Crosstrek for this. The appeal of the Promaster is that I could carry the bikes inside which I think would be more secure if the vehicle is unattended. Maybe that is just an illusion too, vehicles get broken into all the time!

Anyway, found a nice low mileage 2015 SLT Wagon outfitted just as I want ( loaded with OEM hitch and roof rails) that is ~$9K CAD all in with trading in my Subaru. BUT ...I have been on the fence about this for 2 weeks and cannot come to a decision lol. Partly because The vehicle is far away and there are no wagons in the area to road test. I did a short test drive in a local 2017 Cargo SLT. I thought it drove fine, but OMG the road noise coming from the back on the highway was just too much! Can any body that has one please verify that the passenger wagon version is significantly quieter on the highway?? Not expecting limo quiet, just reasonable lol. Also struggling to give up the ground clearance and AWD of the Crosstrek. If someone has pros and cons of going either way would love to read them.
Cheers,
~Crabapple

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Crabapple,
I remember reading here somewhere that the passenger wagon is somewhat quieter than the cargo van bc it has carpeted floors and I believe more molded paneling and ceiling felt. However, there is no insulation behind the panels but some people (using van for camping) have removed the panels and added their own insulation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
First I bought a precut open cell foam mat with a fiber coating on the top. It was @$100. It looks nice but I was amazed how light it was-I'm talking feather weight! Luckily I saw an ad on craigslist-someone nearby was selling a 4' x 6' rubber gym floor mat really cheap. I couldn't pass up the price and I'm glad I bought it. I just laid it on top of the other mat so it provides more padding and insulation. It really helps out with road noise and cushion when I crawl around on my old knees. I bought my van for mtn biking and camping too. I am adding a trailer hitch this weekend so I can mount my bike rack which will leave more room inside when I go camping. I carry ALOT of stuff when I camp. If you're trying to decide about which mat to get go ahead and spend the extra money and get a rubber precut mat. They're around $200 but worth it. The fiber covered mats are too light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2015 PMC Cargo, and yes it is amazingly noisy. I am looking into having an upfitter insulate the cargo area once I'm done with my sliding door window installation project.
We're cyclists and tent campers and the cargo version made sense for us, but my wife really wanted windows in the sliders. The dealer wanted nearly a cool grand to do it, but after seeing others on the forum who did it themselves, I bought the windows and gaskets and have one in so far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My PMC tradesman was quite loud when I first drove it. Put just a little bit of stuff in the back, much quieter. Now after sound deadening material, insulation, side panels, floor, and ceiling it is very quiet.

I'd like to insulate and deaden the slider doors, but I'm not sure if the doors have to come off the track to remove the below the 'window' panel.

Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dewey, as cyclist and tent camping, what made you choose the Cargo over the Wagon city?? Have you seen the Wayfarer Van conversion kits? Some good sound deadening available without buying their boxes?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
For noise control and R-value in vans, we suggest considering 3M Thinsulate(TM) accoustic/thermal insulation engineered for vehicles. We are fortunate to be able to offer it to folks who are up-fitting their vans and have had great response to the product. -Hein DIYvan.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey, Sorry that I didn't specify that my PMC is a cargo model. I bought it used (with 460 miles on it!) and it was an empty shell. The floor mats helped a lot. I don't notice road noise now unless it's a really rough road. I plan to install more insulation on the roof and sides. I installed my Curt trailer hitch yesterday. The only problem I had was I had the back doors open at 180 degrees when I pulled the bumper cover off. It put some scratches in the paint on the doors. I was able to compound almost all of them out-no one else will ever notice but I will. I should have had the doors at 90 degree open when I pulled the cover off. We are loading the van today, putting bikes on the rack and headed to Edisto Island, SC for beach camping this week. Whoohoo!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't feel bad jecwow, I had my new (to me) PMC less than a week when I put a dent in the back top corner of my van trying to squeeze it in my driveway with my Tacoma. Didn't notice that the tree trunk was slightly leaning toward the driveway. I was beating myself up over it for a few days but I got over it. Things will get better!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the wagon.....Lots of space. Noise is not really an issue with the carpet and a rubber cargo mat. We just got back from a weekend trip 4 adults in the car. We did 28 mpg which made me happy.

With the rear seats folded up, you have a little over 5ft of cargo remaining.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all! Just joined as I have just discovered the Promaster City Wagon! Read all the reviews, watched the You Tube videos etc etc. I mountain bike and I also have a small camper ( Prolite Suite) that I pull with my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek MT for vacation road trips. Typically the bikes are on the roof of the Crosstrek for this. The appeal of the Promaster is that I could carry the bikes inside which I think would be more secure if the vehicle is unattended. Maybe that is just an illusion too, vehicles get broken into all the time!

Anyway, found a nice low mileage 2015 SLT Wagon outfitted just as I want ( loaded with OEM hitch and roof rails) that is ~$9K CAD all in with trading in my Subaru. BUT ...I have been on the fence about this for 2 weeks and cannot come to a decision lol. Partly because The vehicle is far away and there are no wagons in the area to road test. I did a short test drive in a local 2017 Cargo SLT. I thought it drove fine, but OMG the road noise coming from the back on the highway was just too much! Can any body that has one please verify that the passenger wagon version is significantly quieter on the highway?? Not expecting limo quiet, just reasonable lol. Also struggling to give up the ground clearance and AWD of the Crosstrek. If someone has pros and cons of going either way would love to read them.
Cheers,
~Crabapple
Well I sat on the fence too long on this one and somebody else bought it same day that I decided to go for it! Not seeing any other options as good as that one was, so I'm going to go through winter with my Subaru and then reconsider next spring. Meanwhile will continue to read this forum :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well shoot! Good luck with your search for another one. I have also been looking at small campers that I could pull with my PMC but find that most of them are slightly over the 1 ton recommended limit even when they're empty. I'm sure I'd have a bunch of stuff in the camper and the van along with bicycles too so I'm worried about overloading the engine & tranny. I guess we'll stick to tent camping.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well shoot! Good luck with your search for another one. I have also been looking at small campers that I could pull with my PMC but find that most of them are slightly over the 1 ton recommended limit even when they're empty. I'm sure I'd have a bunch of stuff in the camper and the van along with bicycles too so I'm worried about overloading the engine & tranny. I guess we'll stick to tent camping.
Should bè lots of options for small campers up to 2000lb towable, at least for two people. I was much more limited with my Crosstrek, max is 1000 lb unbraked and 1500 lb braked trailer

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm wanting to do that.

Hey! I, too, am wanting to insulate and sound-deaden. BUT, not having a trusty Haynes or Chilton manual to show me what's in there...does the ceiling come out and go back intact?..or am I gonna need to build new over the insulation. I.E., is there room up there (and on the sides) for the insulation and is the fastenings reusable? I got my 2015 City for Christmas, trading in a PT Cruiser which served me for 17 yrs. It's a wagen, but I plan on removing the seats and building adoptable-use boxes (open-end 2ft tall pickup bed box for utility, and lifted mattress for camping; maybe pickup box upside down...Hmmmm). That's my ideas, so far, but I need to tone down even this SLT wagon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got my 2015 City for Christmas, trading in a PT Cruiser which served me for 17 yrs. It's a wagen, but I plan on removing the seats and building adoptable-use boxes. .
By-the -by, Anybody need rear seats? I don't plan on reusing the rear seating; being a single old guy, with no family to have seats for. I'll be pulling out seats, seatbelt attachments, and panels for the rear area, and am offering them up. Make an offer, I'm listening.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To answer up on the noise question, after pulling out the rear interior of my City passenger wagen, the road noise went up significantly. I plan (and already bought some stuff) to carpet the sides, and eventually panel it up, so I expect the noise to diminish accordingly. I'll report after I get some stuff back into it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To further my post above, I glued some indoor/outdoor carpeting onto the sides, after removing the rear interior, and found the noise level immediately dropped to the original levels. The floor pad removal may have effected some, too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
By-the -by, Anybody need rear seats? I don't plan on reusing the rear seating; being a single old guy, with no family to have seats for. I'll be pulling out seats, seatbelt attachments, and panels for the rear area, and am offering them up. Make an offer, I'm listening.
Please disregard...Thanks Dan & Kelly from Bellingham!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts