Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just another tweeter swap post for the PMC.

I used inexpensive tweeters ($8) which fit perfectly into the existing tweeter holder in the pillar trim. They are pushed in and the friction from the stock tabs keep it in place.

The actual tweeter swap takes about 5 minutes with the wiring connectors, but the whole job took a lot longer due to the terrible pillar design. They couldn't have designed a more difficult pillar to remove if they tried. I really fought that thing!

I removed the first pillar from the car and learned not to do that again. Putting it back in was very aggravating.
The second pillar I only released the top from the headliner (this is bad enough to do!). Then it was bent over as far as it would go and I worked in the space I had. That worked much better, took less time.

I don't know if others had the problems I had but my PMC pillars fought me all the way!

In the end I do like these tweeters much better than the stock units, so it was worth it. There are more expensive tweeters you can buy but I chose the budget route, and they snap right in.

I don't know why the stock tweeters sound so bad, they don't look like cheap units when you handle them.

Thanks.
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know why the stock tweeters sound so bad, they don't look like cheap units when you handle them.

Thanks.
Alan
Nice work. Thanks for the info. Will bookmark this thread in case I decide to upgrade. But honestly, I just changed the stock Uconnect Head unit to a Pioneer AVH double DIN head unit, and the stock front speakers sound awesome now! With the available HPF/LPF on the head unit, I am able to dial them in just right and the fronts sound really good. And no amp either, just head unit power. The reason they sounded so bad, IMHO, was because the stock Uconnect sucked major balls. I will get as much mileage as I can outta them before I change them out! Thanks again!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work. Thanks for the info. Will bookmark this thread in case I decide to upgrade. But honestly, I just changed the stock Uconnect Head unit to a Pioneer AVH double DIN head unit, and the stock front speakers sound awesome now!

Interesting that we had different experiences with this tweeter situation.

Now that I've been listening to my UConnect 5.0 with the new tweeters it is sounding better and better to me. Maybe my experience is different than yours because I put in a Bazooka subwoofer and that is what started this whole thing about better tweeters. I moved the weak link from lack of bass to too much/poor tweeters. I kept moving the problem around the sound system.

Right now I really like the overall sound balance with really strong bass and crisp highs. But it took both a subwoofer and new tweeters to get there.

I'm probably in the minority with really liking the stock UConnect 5.0 with b/u camera and NAV.

It just shows there is more than one solution to every problem.

Thanks for your input, it will help others decide which way to go.

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts