Ram Promaster Forum banner

Should I do the AT fluid or leave aAs-Is?

• Do it NOW before it dies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave it alone; if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a "lucky" owner of 2017 Promaster City with about 120K mi on the odometer. I am contemplating of doing a transmission fluid replacement mostly as a preventative measure. The van has no issues with shifting (knowing on wood) but I did read on here of few people who had issues with their transmissions and wanted to avoid having to replace it prematurely. I use the van for daily deliveries (about 300 mi/day) on various roads (some highway & rural/hilly roads). I do my own oil changes and was considering DIY drain & refill. One dealer provided a quote of $258 for the service (no flush, just 6 qrts of drain & refill) while another advising against touching it to avoid potential issues as the transmission is "sealed with lifetime fluid". Can anyone comment or advice on how to proceed? I truly don't want to cause any issues and hoping this van can keep running for couple more years. Any tips or other things to consider for maintenance? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have no expeience with the pmc. do they have a tradional tube for a dipstick? a real pan with a filter inside? on my big promaster i changed mine about every 50k. my little van is an early transit connect. it has a dipstick, pan, and filter. the newer versions of them only have 3 plugs on side of trans. top is fill, middle is level, bottom is drain. there is no pan or filter.i would still change it even if that is the case. new oil is good. let us know what you find when you change it. im interested to know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 9-speed ZF transmission without dipstick, found this thread with linked video showing special tool is needed to measure the level and its not very serviceable (no access to pan or filter). In fact dealer stated there is no service interval required and if customer wants it, they just do a drain & refill (not all oil as some is left in the torque converter). That's a bummer for sure but hoping to hear from other ProMaster City owners on their ideas. ATF is pricy ($30/qrt) but might be worth it to prevent any issues. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The transmission on the PMC is the most problematic piece on these vans.. I personally wouldnt let anyone except the dealer do it.. its a little pricey but at 120k miles it needs to be checked.. might as well get it changed too.. I would say you're due for a change by now anyways.. its only changed a couple times during the entire life of the vehicle. No dipstick available to check yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The transmission on the PMC is the most problematic piece on these vans.. I personally wouldn't let anyone except the dealer do it.. its a little pricey but at 120k miles it needs to be checked.. might as well get it changed too.. I would say you're due for a change by now anyways.. its only changed a couple times during the entire life of the vehicle. No dipstick available to check yourself.
I'd say he's spot on from my experience with my PMC. I had a '84 GMC G2500 with the 6.2 diesel before this one. I went through that whole van by myself over the 15 years I owned it. I added a tranny cooler and flushed the transmission myself. I added too much fluid by accident and ended up wrecking the seals. Costly mistake, wasted time and money.
I just took mine in for the oil consumption test and talked to the mechanic. He highly recommended bringing it in when the time comes verses doing it myself. I guess that 9 speed is kind of a different critter. I'm rebuilding the front end on mine this weekend. 60,000 miles and the front ends clunky and just doesn't handle like it used too. I take it off the pavement quite a bit so it's partially my fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts