Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Promaster City Tradesman SLT. It came with the Uconnect 5.0 radio and only 4 speakers. I am adding the 2 rear speakers into the existing housings that are already there to get to the 6 speaker configuration. I was already able to figure out with help from the regular Promaster Forum how to run wires into the wiring harness that goes into the back of the radio. I was also able to figure out how to reprogram the radio so that the rear fader shows up, and works. I tested it and they work!

My questions have to do with the speakers themselves:

1) Does anyone have any recommendations on specific replacement speakers for the rear of the van? I am not interested in adding an amplifier to the vehicle, so they need to be able to fit in the existing housing and work with the existing OEM radio. The opening is 4 1/4" and the two aftermarket suppliers I found recommendations for this vehicle say they are 4" speakers.

2) I want to upgrade the existing front door speakers, but can't figure out how to get the speaker cover off. Has anyone had any success removing the covers without braking the covers? I am looking for directions and/or pictures of the process.

3) I am also looking for recommendations on replacement speakers for the front doors? I believe they are 6 1/2" speakers, but won't know for sure until I am able to get the covers off.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44713

There is a link to a thread on the front door speakers...special thanks to charged021 for the work he put in to pulling off the doors. Yes, the grill does not come off and you will need to remove the whole door panel.
Great stuff...I am about to install a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS deck, with new speakers planned down the road. My stock setup is the same as yours with no rear speakers. I pulled the back panel off and looks as if 4 inch speakers are probably the only size that will fit comfortably in there, with some modifications.
Good Luck! And let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link Stu . . . I had seen that. I guess I was hoping that I could get the outer grill off without removing the whole door panel. I ran wire from the back speaker enclosures today and installed some Pioneer TS-G1045R 4" speakers. They were $50 at Best Buy near me. That's the only 4" speaker they had in stock. They fit in the existing opening and the cover fits over them just fine. I am waiting for my pin connectors to run the wiring into the wiring harness on the back of the radio. I was hoping that UPS would get here by the time I finished running the speaker wire, but no luck. I guess I'll play with the door panels to see how difficult it's going to be to get them off.

As for running the wires, there is what looks like a wiring harness at the base of the pillar at the front of the front passenger door. I didn't look very closely at the wires going in and out because I already had the wires from the back there. I assume that minimally there are no wires going from that harness up to the radio because there aren't any wires for the rear speakers in the harness that goes into the radio. As to whether or not there are wires going out to the rear speaker openings from the harness at the base of the front door pillar or not, I don't know. But I didn't see any wires in the hole for the speaker.

The black floor rails that run along the base of each door pull up very easily. Just start at the rear of them and work your way up popping the pin connectors as you go. They pulled up fairly easily and I didn't break any of them. The front door ones have a screw at the front up under the dash. The drivers side, you'll have to pry off the hood latch towards the gas pedal to get that panel off. I ran the driver's side back speaker wire across the back under the carpet behind the back seats to the back of the back door opening on the passenger side. Then I ran both wires under the floor panels to the front and up under the glove box because it was very hard to see a way to run the wire from the driver's side up the steering wheel side. I used a coat hanger to fish the wires down the pillar along the back of the back door, then between the front and back door, and finally up behind the glove box and up to the radio opening with the radio out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Door Panels

Hey all,

I removed the door panels per the thread that was posted about the Fiat counterpart. The only difference was that there are 2 screws on the outside edge of the door panel that have to come off. I broke only one of the plastic clips off. A big one, there is a small cutout on the bottom of the door panel where it meets the door. It is about 2" long and has an opening that is about 1/8" out from the door. I believe the purpose of this is to give you a place to start prying the door panel off. If you take a large screwdriver, or a plastic panel tool, you can start at this hole and pry up by putting the tool underneath the panel and pulling out from the edge of the door panel in all the places where you feel the clips. Slide the tool up each side, pulling out at each clip until you reach the top. Then the top lifts up to remove the whole panel.

The speaker is indeed riveted in. On top of that, it has a housing. I decided to leave well enough alone at this point as I didn't know if you could replace the speaker inside the housing or if the entire housing was part of the speaker.

Another note, the clips that I was directed to for the wiring harness that goes into the back of the radio did not work. They slide in only loosely, and were not the same as what was there. So when I tried to reattach the harness to the radio, they tended to slide out. I ended up putting bare wire through the harness openings and folding over the end of the wire outside the end that went into the radio so there would be something to hold them in. I then used electrical tape to tape the wires to the existing wires coming out of the harness so they wouldn't move when I pushed the radio back into the opening. Success! I now have working rear speakers.

I attached some much needed pictures of the inside of the door without the panel and the inside of the panel. I don't think there have been any other pictures on this model posted anywhere on the net. At least I couldn't find them.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Old thread I know, but I wanted to do what dartjohn did and add speakers in the rear of my PMC passenger wagon (I didn't really realize that the 4 speaker system was 4 up front when I bought it). He talked about the harness and reprogramming the unit to show the fader. Presumably he found the info in the regular PM forum. I have been unable to do so! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I tried every search strategy I could. I also PM'd dartjohn, but perhaps he no longer lurks here....
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may be a duplicate post - mine did not show up. I am interested in adding rear speakers as I didn't realize the 4-speaker configuration meant 4 up front and 0 in the back (PMC wagon). I have searched through the forum for reprogramming the UConnect stereo and cannot find where the OP got the information. Can anyone help? I'm confused as to whether it's possible with my PMC or not. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts