Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
We have purchased two of the PMC's and have added the spare tire to each. I agree that not having a spare tire seems crazy to me. We drive our vehicles 4,000 miles per month. I checked our maintenance records and over 1/2 of the flat tires we get result in a tire that can not be repaired, 3 of our last 4 could not be repaired. changing the tire gets the driver and vehicle back on the road, preventing a tow bill or lengthy roadside tire repair and the need to send out a replacement vehicle to finish the route. I find it ridiculous to sell a commercial vehicle with no spare tire.

The service dept. said that it takes a bit over an hour to install the spare tire kit.

On the second vehicle we used the upfit allowance to pay for the spare tire kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a spare tire kit from Mac Haik's on-line Mopar store. I also found other retailers on line. The kit includes the ratchet mechanism and installation parts, jack, rear jack-point hardening brackets, and a full-time spare tire (same tire as is on the RPC). I had a truck upfitter recommended by my dealer install the ratchet mechanism. It took two technicians about an hour to decipher the pictogram instructions and complete the work. They charged $135 which seemed reasonable to me given the time and care put into the work.

I had read some posting somewhere that the trailer hitch kit may interfere with the spare. A long "stinger" would not work, but there was no interference with the receiver although the wiring does touch the spare.

·
Banned
66 Posts
rlc2998,

Glad I came across your post. We just bought our third PMC and it has the trailer hitch. I was hoping that the spare would still fit under the van in the normal location.

Our dealer here in NW Indiana charges 1 hour labor for the spare tire kit install. This is the same dealer we bought the vehicles from, so they may be "discounting" the labor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the spare included in the deal but when I picked the vehicle up yesterday the spare was not ready. I am thinking the are going to install it as part of the deal but who knows for sure.

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone thought about going a different route and just buying something that mounts like this:
http://www.nor-calvans.com/images/tc-tire-cover.png
Link provided shows spare tire mounted in a late model Transit Connect LWB
These are common in wheelchair van conversions because they lower the middle section rear floor for ease of entry. Due to legal reasons they aren't allowed to remove any safety equipment so they relocate the spare tire inside the vehicle and mount it to the floor or side of the cargo area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
UDATE: My dealer informs me today that they still don't have a spare tire and rim in stock and it will be the end of January before it is in stock. That is 2 months after the purchase of the vehicle. Also the charge on the bill of 398 cdn ( included in the price but itemized for my benefit does include installation) nor does it include the spare tire mounting kit. I didn't think there was a new way to get the shaft on a new car deal, thank you VILLAGE CHRYSLER, in AJAX, ONTARIO.

Mike Laing

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the steel rim from Dodge dealer for 158.00. Took 2 weeks then bought a used tire for 38.00 mounted and balanced. Bought a small floor jack for 25.00 and a 4way lug wrench for 10.00. I have it standing up on front right side of cargo area and strapped in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think that is more trouble than you or anyone else should have to go through for a spare tire. I am building a box for the van floor with a drawer in it for the spare. I will post a picture when I am done.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Village Chrysler is making it right and I pickup my spare tire tommorrow after waiting almost 3 1/2 months.

Mike
They had made a mistake and given my tire to another cuatomer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all - new to this forum and thought I'd share some details about what I experienced with the spare tire kit install. First, this is a VERY easy thing to install yourself. My local RAM dealership quoted me $700 for the kit plus 2 hours of labor to install - so, roughly $1000 to put it in for me. I found the kit on Amazon [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017HWRUZ6[/ame] for roughly $500 and it arrived in less than 3 days.

The instructions are like IKEA builds, so it's all graphics and gives some decent guidance. Now, the main obstacle is actually found in Step #1. It has you install 2 M6 Rivnuts. Most people are not going to have the tool needed to install this - and it doesn't come with the kit. You have a couple options to complete this: One is to call and order the "tool" for this install. It's fairly cheap - around $13 (low tech version - they go as high as +$100) plus shipping and tax. But, if you're like me (impatient and cheap), I've never before or probably never will again, use a Rivnut tool. Don't panic. The piece that you are to install with these rivnuts is nothing more than a retaining piece (1 of 3 - the other 2 are already in place) to make sure the spare tire stops before going too high (and to keep it level). It is not bearing weight and nothing hangs from it. So...I just used some long zip ties to hold it in place. Worked like a charm. I've put roughly 5000 miles on it (Cincinnati to LA and back) and it's still rock solid.

The clearance on the truck is actually really high - so I didn't even need to jack the vehicle up. Just slid right under and started installing. The only thing you are doing is installing nine nuts and like 3 bolts. It's actually easier than IKEA furniture. Save yourself the dealer markup if you are the least bit mechanically inclined.

·
Banned
66 Posts
...... Save yourself the dealer markup if you are the least bit mechanically inclined.
Partial quote above.

The spare tires that we have gotten with the kits have a TPMS sensor in them. Did you have the sensor/computer programmed to pick up the extra sensor or does the computer pick it up automatically?

·
Banned
66 Posts
What are the fuses for that come in the kit?
Sorry for the delayed answer. The fuses are just spares and the phillips screwdriver in the kit is needed to remove the cover over the fuse box under the hood. I guess that FCA figures if you want to actually change a tire you're capable of changing a fuse.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I just hit 5,000 miles on my PMC and had the first tire rotation done. I had the spare tire include in the rotation.

As I stated in an earlier post the spare tire kit that was installed included a TPMS sensor in the spare and programming for the vehicle's computer to recognize it.

I have the full size wheel covers on my van so the silver wheel for the spare isn't really obvious. I am driving 3,000 miles per month now that I have started my new job and want to get all the miles I can from the tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts