Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my '15 PMC over the weekend and within starting it up a few times I realized I needed to fix the beep of death. I read this thread and it seems that the common solution is to buy a seat belt extender. I didn't really want to deal with an extender so I present to you the fix for the annoying seat belt chime!

Start off by removing the cover for the seat belt. You will need a tamper-proof hex bit to remove the two screws at the bottom. I tried using a small flat head screwdriver but it bent the post fairly easily so I had to find the hex bit. I also used a plastic scraper to pry the two pieces apart as they were fastened fairly well. With the covers off, the seat belt will be the same/similar as Figure 1.

The sensor creates a magnetic field, so whenever the mechanism is depressed a ferrous rod (Figure 2) gets pushed into the sensor and disrupts the field. This change in the magnetic field induces a voltage change in the circuit and lets the computer know the seat belt is fastened. The location of the sensor is shown in Figure 3.

Next we need a way to constantly disrupt the sensor. My solution: picture frame hook.

THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT! The shim that you put in MUST BE AS THIN AS POSSIBLE! If it is too thick the mechanism will not be able to be released and now all of a sudden your seat belt is stuck. I strongly recommend testing your shim out at least a dozen or so times to make sure that the mechanism will disengage. It took me a few tries to get the shim thin enough to not interrupt the mechanism function.

I used a bench grinder to reduce the width and thickness until it was small enough to block the sensor but not impede the function of the seat belt. The finished shim is shown in Figure 5.

I then trimmed it down to the correct length, put it in between the rod and sensor shown in Figure 2, and used pliers to bend the top edge over the lip of the sensor to hold it in place. The shim must be bent over to secure it, or else it will fall out as the seat belt is buckled and unbuckled. The final product is shown in Figure 6.

Put everything back together and now you don't have to listen to that annoying ding! I ended up doing it to both seats because I regularly put a backpack on the passenger seat and it's heavy enough to set the buzzer off.

I'm not sure if this will work on 16/17 PMC or the full size PM as I have not ever been in either. I'm also not sure if this will have an effect on any other system, would need to look at factory wiring diagrams.

Hope some people find this useful!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Years ago I had a 1981 Datsun 200 SX. I opened the doors with the key in the ignition with the chime on. I found the chime on the passenger side almost under the dash. I got a very large flat blade screwdriver and put the blade against the chime housing. I hit the screwdriver handle hard with a large hammer several times until the chime stopped.
Problem solved. I never heard the chime again.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
... If it is too thick the mechanism will not be able to be released and now all of a sudden your seat belt is stuck.

For me, the quiet vs. risk/safety is not worth it. I use an extender (<$20) and it works every time. So, you get TWO places to release the seatbelt.

My wife uses hers the most because she can get up to get us a drink or a snack while we're traveling and no "chimes" go off. Plus, it moves the release point about 5" higher so it's easier to engage and disengage the seatbelt.

Just another point of view :D from a full size PM'er.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not much help here
Gunna look up diagrams and figure it out . It annoys the F... Out of me

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,441 Posts
I have a full size PM and two HF bar magnets in package work. One bar does not work in my experiment. You could sew them to the side of your seat and and a Velcro dot to hold the latch to the magnets. My magnets stay in place for at least one mile to the mail box without help and then I buckle up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The extender definitely works on the City, too. Cheap fix, and easier to use once you get used to the added height. (it stays below lap level, so really doesn't interfere with operations, and drink retrievals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did I miss something or did Fiat change something in 2018 to fix this problem? I admit I was feeling too lazy tonight to check, but I believe in the dash "menu," the buttons to the right of the steering wheel, you can select the volume of the chime from one of at least 3 choices. I have a PMC SLT wagon, but my seat belt chime is not objectionable and I'm not deaf. I believe I set it to the lowest setting a year ago. But, then again, I am going from memory, which may be dangerous. Can anybody back me up?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep it's in the menu. Eight Buzzer Volume settings from 0 through 7. However even the lowest setting is still plenty loud! And 0 which I would interpret as no buzzer, still buzzes! Weird!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts