Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-
I just bought a 2016 slt wagon in grey metallic. It's my first new car and first ever car loan. The process of buying as a lone girl was...atrocious. But that's another post.

My plan is to have Ursa Minor Vehicles put a pop top on it and create a modular camping unit for stealth camping when necessary (or preferred). It's just my daughter and me and we plan to use this for road trips, localish camping, and stealth surf "camping". I've done an ENTIRE Vanagon interior and let me tell you, in about 1000 ways will this be easier. This bad boy is my only car so I use it for everything.

The goal is to make the camp-ability removable so I can still haul stuff. I know I'm not the norm around here but I'll post pics as I get started (I'm a teacher and tomorrow is day last); I'm planning to start on the interior build next week while I wait for a roof scan from Ursa so they can plan out the pop top.

I also have the tow package (a must) in case someday I want a teardrop trailer. For now it'll tow my kid's ATV as soon as I get a trailer for that (which I know nothing about setting up but I do know how to drive one - and can back out of an alley if I need to).

Anyway, that's my intro and story. I'm sure you guys will have plenty of tips and advice.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Refreshing story, welcome. And for teaching as they say "Thank you for your service."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey! Happy last day (from one teacher to another)! I'd love to see this pop top when it's done. I've considered overnighting solo in my van, and figured out that a double mattress will fit in the PMC wagon, if one were to construct an elevated platform, and the back seat was folded. Anyway, keep us informed, and post pics.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome surfergirl.I hope you really enjoy your new van.It is a trip to drive,and that's a fact.Please post pics on your camper mods.My wife and I talked about it too.But given our age,we also need a bathroom,lol.Life is good :D

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,494 Posts
Just for grins, I checked out Ursa Minor. $$$!!!$$$ Those prices seem astronomical for what you get, regardless of quality. Have you shopped much, or is this someone nearby that you particularly trust?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just for grins, I checked out Ursa Minor. $$$!!!$$$ Those prices seem astronomical for what you get, regardless of quality. Have you shopped much, or is this someone nearby that you particularly trust?

Thanks all for the welcome! I'm still waiting to hear from John at Ursa - beginning of summer he's got a lot of trade shows. The deal is that he needs to spec a PMC and then do a build from there. I know he's got his hands on an NV200 and a FTC. The guy is close-ish by and he's stated that I'll get a deal and he'll get somewhat of a guinea pig, but I don't want to say that he's made specific promises or anything (that's a lame thing to do). I'll keep you posted on that aspect. I will say his work is stellar and for my love of small camping this set-up is better for me than a camper trailer right now.

As far as the camper box is concerned, I've got a builder doing it this week. I'll make sure and take pictures as it goes but so far what we've got is a box with a slider that pulls over folded down (but not folded up) rear seats. Folded up seats were too high for the bed to pull out over. I planned the box door on the back to fold out into a table. I'm not trying to build anything in (fridge, sink, stove) at this point because I have all kinds of camping stuff and I'd rather start simple and add the build-ins later if I feel like I need them. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about adding roof racks until the pop goes on (and then just transferring them to the pop).

I'll post pics ASAP, and thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts