Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, just registered. I have 5 promaster's in my fleet. I just got my 2015 1500 diesel out of the shop with a new front end brake job, overheated rotors and pads. The vehicle only has 17000 miles. Does RAM have a front and rear brake problem?

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
All I can tell you is my 2500 long/high has 50 k miles and the pads and rotors are like new, plus, no squeeks!

I would complain to your dealer. If you bought 5 Promadters from him he should have some answers for you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No brake problems of note. I just changed my front and rear brake pads a few weeks ago @ 65K miles and probably could have gotten another 7-10K out of them as they had about 1/8" pad left but since the dash reminder came on I ordered the pads and replaced them anyway. My PM is a 159" EXT. I think the 1500's have smaller brakes but I haven't heard of anyone getting only 17K out of them. Does your driver drive with 2 feet? I have seen a lot of people recently driving with their foot on the brake constantly...you only need one foot to drive an automatic! If you have 5 of them and only having a problem with one I'd look at the driver. Or maybe you have it overloaded. A lot of forum members have stated that the 1500 and 3500 can carry almost the same weight but if the brakes are not up to the task...

As a side note, these pads are extremely easy to change. I wouldn't pay a shop the extraordinary rates I've heard some of the forum members quote.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Wondering what brake pads you had. The originals that squeak and came standard since day one of production. Or the new pads that don't squeak?

The squeaky originals, could stop a loaded van like it was nothing. The best stopping power I've ever had. Better than every pickup truck I ever owned over the last 40 years.

When my brakes wear out, I want the squeaky pads.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wondering what brake pads you had. The originals that squeak and came standard since day one of production. Or the new pads that don't squeak?

The squeaky originals, could stop a loaded van like it was nothing. The best stopping power I've ever had. Better than every pickup truck I ever owned over the last 40 years.

When my brakes wear out, I want the squeaky pads.
Same here, baby.. these stop like crazy
.... but for some reason, my stockers never did squeal... '14 1500 gasser low

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Overheated pads and rotors can have only three causes I can think of. Stuck calipers, defective master cylinder, or riding the brakes, in 17,000 miles the first is unlikely and almost never on both sides at once, and the second can be checked easily, so ....... I too would round up the usual suspects! My 1500 never squeaked and I believe they did not get the squeeky brakes recall either so perhaps it has a different compound? I have more miles on mine and the wear hardly shows.

To check for non driver issues just drive the van on flat ground not using the brakes yourself and let it come to a stop in a parking lot, gingerly touch the front rotors, if you have blistered fingers you have a problem, if not your driver does.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Brakes ~60k miles

Ok. Mine squeaked for the first few thousand miles. Now at about 60k I have been getting the light intermittently foriegn a couple thousand miles. The sensor wire is almost cut off, there is about 1/8 inch of pad.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
499 Posts
Ok. Mine squeaked for the first few thousand miles. Now at about 60k I have been getting the light intermittently foriegn a couple thousand miles. The sensor wire is almost cut off, there is about 1/8 inch of pad.
Time for a brake job. No percentage in waiting for something to truly go bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 14 1500 gasser has a bit over 17k miles. Brakes looked like new for last state inspection. That surprised me for all the dust they throw all over the wheels!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tizme for a brake job. No percentage in waiting for something to truly go bad.
It will be going in on Monday the 21st 2017. The interesting thing for me is the dealer is going out of their way to put aftermarket parts on it. I wonder if the dealers know that the OEM pads are garbage so they're afraid they'd have to do a warranty brake job if they wore out too fast.
I will post the final cost later but it looks like it's going to be less than a $1000.00 The quote with the OEM parts was close to $2,000.00

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
For starters - the OEM pads are not garbage. The aftermarket (high quality) front pads and rotors are about $150 TOTAL plus about an hour or maybe hour and a half labor if you have never done them before. I just did mine a few months ago at almost 75k miles and they could have gone more. The rear pads and rotors were maybe 50% worn max!

If you are paying anyone $1000 to do your brakes (all four) then, unfortunately, you are being overcharged by at least $500!

·
Registered
520 Posts
65,000 miles out of mine on a 3500. The stock pads are great at stopping the van and lasting but bad at everything else. Just like any high performance brake pad.
The aftermarket pads are way cheaper but the ones I bought definitely don't stop as positively, worse brake feel, and not sure of longevity.
If you guys are getting the indicator light you should change them. Don't go to long with that light on. I did because I do stupid things. One day I pulled into my driveway and stoped to have a pad come out of the caliper. It had worn down to the backing plate witch is to thin to keep the pad in the caliper. Always learning something lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
For starters - the OEM pads are not garbage. The aftermarket (high quality) front pads and rotors are about $150 TOTAL plus about an hour or maybe hour and a half labor if you have never done them before. I just did mine a few months ago at almost 75k miles and they could have gone more. The rear pads and rotors were maybe 50% worn max!

If you are paying anyone $1000 to do your brakes (all four) then, unfortunately, you are being overcharged by at least $500!
Ahh dealer prices. I did a lookup on the pad cost. Wow all over the map, from $15.00 per end to $350 from Mopar. Crazy. I could see the dealer billing big numbers for the OE parts.
If you are going to use aftermarket pads just go to any TRUSTED mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
I paid $38 for my front pads and so far I see no difference over the OEM after maybe 5k miles.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RKQLIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok. For starters I have my company name all over the outside of my truck and I live in a state where you regularly see signs like "HIT BY A COMPANY TRUCK? CALL SKINNEM AND KNEEBREAKER, ATTORNEYS AT LAW. WE GET YOU DOUBLE DAMAGES BY LOOKING AT MAINTENANCE RECORDS!!"
So, $862.63 is buying me a lot of peace of mind.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ok. For starters I have my company name all over the outside of my truck and I live in a state where you regularly see signs like "HIT BY A COMPANY TRUCK? CALL SKINNEM AND KNEEBREAKER, ATTORNEYS AT LAW. WE GET YOU DOUBLE DAMAGES BY LOOKING AT MAINTENANCE RECORDS!!"
So, $862.63 is buying me a lot of peace of mind.
Part of hates stuff like that, but the smart side of me says plenty of companies truly skip on quality and timely maintenance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I for one want more init bite from the brakes when i have to brake for emergency/close calls. Does anyone have experiences with aftermarket brands replacement that give you better bite than OEM
thx

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I for one want more init bite from the brakes when i have to brake for emergency/close calls. Does anyone have experiences with aftermarket brands replacement that give you better bite than OEM
thx
NRS brakes galvanized brake pads will give you a better bite than traditional brake pads. Our brake pads are constructed with low dust Premium semi metallic material on galvanized backing plates providing a better bite that other Aftermarket pads and in many cases they are even better than the OEM. Please learn more here www.nrsbrakes.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts