Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2014 Promaster in May of 2017. It was stark white and completely empty when I got it. I spent about 5 months working on it (along with my regular job and also performing weekly with my band). It was quite and adventure building it, I give LOTS of props to friends here on the forum for sharing their experiences. This van was built for my band as a travel dressing room/hang out area and quickly became a mini-camper/beach-mobile once my wife and daughter threw in their ideas too! We have camped out a couple times since it's completion and have really enjoyed it. I was able to include every "want" I had on my list for a dream band van, plus lots of extras, so this works perfect for my situation. I have no intention of living out of it, so it might not work for everyone. Thought I'd share my finished project nonetheless. Hope you like it! Let me know what you think.

Here's a link to my YouTube van tour for more details on my build: https://youtu.be/G9EzlGKTcfk

Attachments

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,588 Posts
Did you have a chance to test the A/C on some hot days?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you have a chance to test the A/C on some hot days?
Yes... I live in Orlando, FL and have had a few gigs on 95 degree days. The A/C saved the day! I plug it in when we get to the event and leave it running all day. The interior of the van stays at a cool 72 degrees while its a humid 95 outside. My band mates and I (5 in all) are able to pile in the van and stay cool during breaks. This was a necessary mod for living in FL... I didn't have any real-estate on my roof for a Dometic, and didn't really want the added height either. I planned this solution out a lot before cutting into my back door. With the right support and tilt the A/C works like a charm, drains properly, and sits as secure as can be on my back door. I caulked it into place and have no leaks, I also routed the wiring through the existing black flex tube in the rear door and connected it to my shore power inlet on my rear bumper. All nice and neat... looks great and does the job!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Really nice job Shaun... thanks for sharing.
Love the A/C in the door and the rear camera switch!!

Is there a kit for that camera switch... or did you just figure it out yourself?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is there a kit for that camera switch... or did you just figure it out yourself?
Hi Tom,
I actually got the camera idea from some folks here on the forum. You'll notice when you open the rear door the camera comes on. So the suggestion was to tap into the wiring in the back door that is tied to the sensor that tells you the rear door is open. I hadn't found anyone who had actually done it yet, so I gave it a try before doing my build because I really wanted to use the camera on demand. I found the wiring pretty easily and toyed with it until I narrowed it down to the wire that turns the camera on and off. I extended that wire all the way up to the front dashboard and interrupted it with the little switch I put on the console, then ran it back to the rear door and reconnected it where it originally was. Now the result of flipping the switch is just like opening the rear door, only I don't have to open the rear door. The only downside is the car thinks the rear door is open so it won't allow any doors to lock and the dash "door open" red indicator light is on. Not a big deal for me since I don't ride around with it on all the time. But it sure does come in handy when I want to see behind me and I'm not in reverse!

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice build. Way to juggle all the needs of a multipurpose van. lIke the web cage for gear on the bed. Been winding a strap though each of my items and its a bit of a pain. The cage is a great idea, for organization and for safety.

Lots of great solutions. Good work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice build. Way to juggle all the needs of a multipurpose van. lIke the web cage for gear on the bed. Been winding a strap though each of my items and its a bit of a pain. The cage is a great idea, for organization and for safety.

Lots of great solutions. Good work.
I learned the hard way when loading band gear on the bed... I stopped too quickly and a giant keyboard fell forward onto the bench and crashed to the floor. Thankfully it didn't break itself or anything else... and I hadn't picked up my band mates yet so luckily no one was on the bench! :eek: Lesson learned, put the web cage up the next week and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts

Tom,

If you need some help with that, I'm just down the road in CT... easy one wire connect at the rear corner column on the passenger side!

(White with a blue stripe, about centered in the opening when you take the black column cover off.)

A wire spliced to that wire and run to the front dash area will trigger the backup camera to display whenever it's grounded. Note: it doesn't turn the backup camera on, it's always on. It just tells the radio to display it!

Shaun,

Nice work... now I'll have to start thinking about the door AC thing again!

Did the band thing many years ago... back then, my transporter was a 1972 Dodge Tradesman VAN! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shaun,

Nice work... now I'll have to start thinking about the door AC thing again!

Did the band thing many years ago... back then, my transporter was a 1972 Dodge Tradesman VAN! :D
NICE! My first band van was a Chevy Astro back in the 90's. Most recently I went from a 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan to my Ram Promaster. Living the dream now! :D

As for the A/C, it's a must have down here in FL. My wife, daughter, and I had our first camping trip back in August and we literally melted. I decided right then something had to be done, just had to figure out how. Didn't have room on the roof and couldn't give up any space inside. So I decided to add it to the back door. Didn't find much help on youtube, a couple crude attempts with wood frames that looked really odd. Thought it thru a lot and then went for it! It took a bit of toying with the position to get the tilt right so the unit would drain outside the rear properly. I sandwiched the L bracket rails inside and out on the door together with bolts and then fastened the A/C unit to the L rails with self tapping screws. Then I taped off the rails and neatly caulked everywhere I could to help seal the unit to the door and the rails and also to prevent leaks. Then painted over the caulk with a glossy white latex paint to seal the deal. Also added a mesh cover to the rear of the unit to help protect the coil. Works like a charm and didn't cost nearly as much as a Dometic! Still might add a cover or shroud over the top to keep rain out of the unit.
Added a few pics of the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
On mine, there are back windows.

My thought is to take out the driver side door window and make a metal "copy" of it that would be bolted in place of the glass. From there, it's easy. Well, at least easi-er!

On last year's trip to FL, we stayed in the van a number of nights and the temps weren't too bad.. that was in early May!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Tks for pics of install of air on door....mine will be ge model on a city door....planning to mount it higher in the false window material...besides the metal braces on the outside would it be advisable to maybe use some 1 x 4 inside parallel to the metal braces??????...
do you see anything that jumps out on doing the same as you on the city.....the ge is smaller but weighs about the same

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shaun, great job on the van. Just curious, did you install the Carr Hoop steps unmodified, or did you make mods like RD did?
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37177&highlight=carr+hoop&page=9
No mods to the steps themselves. Just used some positioning strategy with regards to how I mounted them, but pretty much followed the standard mounting instructions. I bought some metal tubing at HD and made sturdy extensions for the longer bolts that attach to the body crimp area. Also used some more heavy duty screws than the ones included to bolt the mounting bracket onto the underside. They work great and hold more weight that I can give... I trust'em!
Attached a couple photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tks for pics of install of air on door....mine will be ge model on a city door....planning to mount it higher in the false window material...besides the metal braces on the outside would it be advisable to maybe use some 1 x 4 inside parallel to the metal braces??????...
do you see anything that jumps out on doing the same as you on the city.....the ge is smaller but weighs about the same
I used the L brackets on the outside AND the inside... bolted together thru the wall of the van door and "sandwiched" together. I did that going all the way around the AC unit, all 4 sides.
Here's a diagram of what I did...

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
No mods to the steps themselves. Just used some positioning strategy with regards to how I mounted them, but pretty much followed the standard mounting instructions. I bought some metal tubing at HD and made sturdy extensions for the longer bolts that attach to the body crimp area. Also used some more heavy duty screws than the ones included to bolt the mounting bracket onto the underside. They work great and hold more weight that I can give... I trust'em!
Attached a couple photos...
Shaun,

Yours are the same as mine but you must have mounted them lower. My brackets fit completely on the metal above and didn't hit the pinch weld at all.

On mine, the curves arms touch the pinch weld, but the brackets are on the metal above.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts