Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how the Promaster works in off pavement situations. We camp in remote areas off of paved roads. How would the Promaster, low roof, 136 WB do on rocky mountain or sandy desert roads. Is it geared low enough, does it have enough clearance, are the wheels/tires adequate?

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
I have been using my promaster at my farm which is on rough, steep, winding, washboarded gravel/dirt roads. I have also driven it across a pasture. My place is between two wilderness areas and adjacent to a National Park.

It does well - with the exception of a few days of ice and mud. Then I found out that I needed to turn off the esc button and power through it.

Because it has front wheel drive, it did this fairly handily. Much better than my toyota tundra pickup truck but not quite as well as my AWD subaru.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I too will be taking my PM on unpaved backroads, so I was mostly worried about clearance. I measured front and back - 7.25 back, 7.5 front, so about the same. That should be fine except on hardcore 4 wheel drive roads which I will not attempt.

But, with the high roof, I will have to be watching for low branches and overhangs. In the snow the fwd seems to do pretty well, had a couple of opportunities this spring to try it out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I too will be taking my PM on unpaved backroads, so I was mostly worried about clearance. I measured front and back - 7.25 back, 7.5 front, so about the same. That should be fine except on hardcore 4 wheel drive roads which I will not attempt.

But, with the high roof, I will have to be watching for low branches and overhangs. In the snow the fwd seems to do pretty well, had a couple of opportunities this spring to try it out.
I can stand up in it (love that, I'm 6' tall!) This is going to be great for remote camping, esp. after I get done w/insulation and wiring in aux. batteries, I'll be entirely self sufficient: low-amp fridge, shower, toilet, etc. Some of the solutions aren't glamorous but hey, I'm going to be in the back-of-the-beyond where I love it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd love to mount a set of BFG All terrains on mine. Something a little wider and taller, but the clearance looks a little tight. Anybody have a set of bigger tires on their van yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts