Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's the middle of August, it's been hot & humid in much of America.

How happy or disappointed are ProMaster owners with their AC?

Am spoiled by years of Club Wagon high capacity dual AC that has reliably tamed FL's heat.

Remain skeptical of ProMaster's front only AC.

What's the truth?

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
It's great in the front but not much cold air gets past the back of the front seats

·
Registered
604 Posts
Test drove mine on a 90+ degree day last year while I was hunting for one. Can't say it impressed me but realized that it was a big tin can with the sun beating on it. Knowing I planned on insulating it I decided it would be adequate for my use. Now that it's insulated I'm pretty happy. If I'm running from place to place, like short trips to different stores, it doesn't quite keep up but I wouldn't expect any vehicle to.

I put a small fan hanging from the ceiling in the rear which helps a lot circulating the air.

For someplace like Florida I'd want an additional unit. But I think anything over 75 is too hot...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Jumper being in Texas I feel your pain! I work outside everyday and have for the past 30+ years so A/C is a lifesaver in some situations. Having said this, I ordered my PM with the partition not for cargo protection, but for HVAC efficiency and it makes a HUGE difference. I know this is not for every owner, but seriously consider this option if living in hot, humid climates.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont have my Promaster.. yet :-( BUT, I have owned several Ford, Chevy, AND Dodge Vans, and can't remember one with (dash only) air that kept people in the back very cool on really sweltering days. If you are heat intolerant, and plan to have passengers in the very back of the van, another A/C unit would probably be recommended.. The partition as mentioned above (or even a temporary blanket or curtain hanging behind the seats) does wonders to improve the air for the passengers in the cab, but even without that, I have found most vans to do an adequate job on the front most passengers. That being said, My Dodge Van is in the shop right now because the A/C was blowing out the Defroster vents and it wasn't cutting it for me in August in Arkansas... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
a/c ok after insulating

My vans deep cherry and was HOT!! Installed glass last weekend and insulated with bubble foil duct wrap.Big improvement I had to have a/c blasting through center vents to try and keep back seat bearable.We were out all weekend and had the blower 1/2 way nice and comfortable now.

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
I do drive with my rear awning window and MaxxAir vent open all the time so that certainly doesn't help the AC getting to the back but I never have anyone in the van not sitting in the futon seat either. I do have a curtain behind the seats but I only use it at night while camping. If I did close everything up I expect it would freeze me out of the front. It was 90° Today and very humid and I was very comfortable with the AC on and the fan set to half way with the ceiling vent and rear window wide open.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fiat Dcuato (X250) has option, ordered usually for "Panorama" version (passenger) or RV builders, for installation of a supplementary air conditioning system on the back, behind the rear left wheel arc. There is also an optional complementary heating system, that is installed in the zone under driver seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My vans deep cherry and was HOT!! Installed glass last weekend and insulated with bubble foil duct wrap.Big improvement I had to have a/c blasting through center vents to try and keep back seat bearable.We were out all weekend and had the blower 1/2 way nice and comfortable now.
It's good for a partitioned van, for the whole ball of wax it falls short.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I'm painfully aware of the full range of Fiat Ducato/Citroen Jumper options. Not the least of which are comfortable, upholstered, well equipped, passenger models.

Fiat Dcuato (X250) has option, for installation of a supplementary air conditioning system on the back, behind the rear left wheel arc.
When is Ram Truck going to offer ProMaster window vans w/the Creature Comfort options?

·
Registered
625 Posts
OK, it's the middle of August, it's been hot & humid in much of America.

How happy or disappointed are ProMaster owners with their AC?

I'm pleased with it, works just fine. Blows good cold air, fast, and plentiful.

I've mounted a thermometer up behind the cab on the edge of the large shelf. There's been days where its reading 120F when I get in the van. The a/c does just fine to cool down the me and cab area, and usually turn down the fan to setting 4 or 5 of 7, and set to a mix of dash and floor.

Now, at the moment I'm not too worried about anything behind the front seats. That will change as we build it out to an RV setup and start carrying our dogs, crated in the back. For that I doubt the front a/c will be adequate without freezing the cab area. At that point we will be using a 12v a/c unit that will be mounted in the rear area and run off combo of solar panels and batteries.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had many days where the temp outside reads above 100. My high roof 159 AC will freeze you out after awhile, no complaints keeping it cool up front. I have no partition. My pregnant wife is often the one who turns the blower to a lower setting, which says a lot for the system. She doesn't like to sit in the back on the hottest days, but from what I gather it's comfortable after about 20 minutes of me running the AC full blast, I turn the vents off and keep the centers blowing hard between the seats to the back seat. I plan to add a fan soon so I don't have to freeze up front to keep the back seat cool.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Just wondering, a plastic transparent curtain behind the seats could maybe help to keep it cooler in front?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts