Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install an engine shield for my 2018 Promaster 2500. I'm looking into this because I foresee driving along dirt and gravel paths, where small rocks could bounce up into the engine area.

I need help deciding whether this purchase is necessary, what parts I would need, and if there are alternatives.

Looking for OEM parts, I went and found a schematics of the parts and the components I need, link here. Specifically, I need part 1, the Belly-Front of the Center Shield section, part 68376428AA. However, it seems that this part is discontinued. No problem, I can do a search for the part # on google, and find other vendors who sell it. A quick search finds the following parts from two different vendors, link 1 and link 2. Both seem to still have the part available, however they are listed under different models.

My first question is, I'm aware that not much has changed between 2014 to 2018 for the Promaster, would it be good if I purchase the 2014 version of the part? Additionally, if the part is meant for the 3500ext version it should still work correct?

My second question is, if I do purchase this, I'm not sure how much of the hardware (screws and nuts) I also need to purchase. It would be parts 2 & 3 from the schematics.

Thirdly, are there alternatives to these components? Custom parts, aftermarket, etc.

On a side note, I'm also looking to buy part 5 with the side plate for the drivers side, (Side Shield, Left, Part #68134778AA ). If anyone knows how many screws and nuts this needs, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,076 Posts
Google The Fit RV. James had a custom engine guard pan made by a company in the SF Bay Area. There are some videos and details on their web site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking to install an engine shield for my 2018 Promaster 2500. I'm looking into this because I foresee driving along dirt and gravel paths, where small rocks could bounce up into the engine area.

I need help deciding whether this purchase is necessary, what parts I would need, and if there are alternatives.

Looking for OEM parts, I went and found a schematics of the parts and the components I need, link here. Specifically, I need part 1, the Belly-Front of the Center Shield section, part 68376428AA. However, it seems that this part is discontinued. No problem, I can do a search for the part # on google, and find other vendors who sell it. A quick search finds the following parts from two different vendors, link 1 and link 2. Both seem to still have the part available, however they are listed under different models.

My first question is, I'm aware that not much has changed between 2014 to 2018 for the Promaster, would it be good if I purchase the 2014 version of the part? Additionally, if the part is meant for the 3500ext version it should still work correct?

My second question is, if I do purchase this, I'm not sure how much of the hardware (screws and nuts) I also need to purchase. It would be parts 2 & 3 from the schematics.

Thirdly, are there alternatives to these components? Custom parts, aftermarket, etc.

On a side note, I'm also looking to buy part 5 with the side plate for the drivers side, (Side Shield, Left, Part #68134778AA ). If anyone knows how many screws and nuts this needs, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Fellow Bay Area native here. I have a 2500 that I purchased out of state, and I have the belly pan. I can tell you that all has been well after 16,000 miles of ownership. I have been driving cross-country doing rock climbing, and regularly (probably 40% of driving) has been on fire roads or access roads leading to climbing areas in areas such as Bishop, Joe's/Moe's Valley. The plastic belly pan is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This seems a solution in search of a problem. The van comes with a plastic shield on the belt side already. I have 1.5 million miles and never had an issue caused by road debris (albeit no off roading). What would a rock do if it got kicked up into the engine anyway? Sit there? Fall back out? Do people with gravel driveways do anything special to their cars? You see what I’m driving at.
I would recommend something though. Lowes sells black nylon screen for screen doors - put a layer of that in front of the grill openings. Not so much for rocks, but for bugs. Bug guts can be corrosive, can build up in the radiator fins, etc. Other than that, I probably wouldnt do anything, and I’d be careful if you did for fear of restricting the output of the electric fans.

Reactions: keeponvaning

·
Registered
544 Posts
Who knows...I think it would probably help keep salt spray out of the engine compartment but that is a guess.

I think most cars have them because it's critical for proper air flow through the hear exchangers.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As I say, with stock promasters salt isnt a problem. I’d think it’d be even less of a problem off roading.
Easy test - drive the van through a puddle at whatever speed is normal for off roading. Get under and see what’s wet.

Reactions: travelvanvan

·
Premium Member
2019, 159", High Roof, 2500
128 Posts
All promasters came from ram without belly pan splash shields on the bottom ?
(it is wide open under the radiator on back) ?

I was a bit shocked this weekend when I spent some time swapping for lights to leds. Found that my 2019 2500 has only the left shield (part 2) on diagram. Part 1 and 3 are clearly missing, also are all of the nuts/mounts that I would expect to see. I bought VanGo used so at first was thinking they had been removed.

Checking ram parts diagram it appears the parts can be ordered but at rather silly prices.

Is this normal ? (No belly / splash pan) You all really running around bottomless on the streets and off-road ?

thx

Parts Link

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
IIRC they all come with passenger side and center shields, mine did anyways.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Thx Phil. Your coming with center is interesting and great.

I found this older thread here which notes many only came with left. I understand these aren’t skid plates by wth RAM, are you that cheap or did you delete these connected to fixing some problem (heat or extra airflow to dry out upper engine bay). Either way crap move RAM as nearly every car I see on a lift has some bare minimum engine protection, even just from bouncing Rick on highway every so often.

·
Registered
2020 RAM ProMaster 1500 LR 118"
331 Posts
I ordered all three new from Europe for a X250 Ducato, went right on no issues. Just needed three more rivnuts from Mopar for the subframe.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,281 Posts
I ordered all three new from Europe for a X250 Ducato, went right on no issues. Just needed three more rivnuts from Mopar for the subframe.
I knew someone did that, glad you chimed in.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
@RPM2020 : thx for the picture and makes sense on the X250 being a bolt on. Do you recall who you ordered from ?

quick search of the X250 finds similar posts where it seems Fiat commonly sold X250 with shipped with the left most cover.

Side note is that I did find this parts listing site with a "add all to cart" that helped me track # of screws / parts (noted this is for entire diagram so most of us would not need the right/passenger side #2 and screws for it) Here is the list in cart from that diagram
Underbody Shields.. 2018 Ram ProMaster - Myrtle Beach SC

NUT. Hex Flange. M8x1.25. Export, Mounting. PART NUMBER: 06106159AA x4
NUT. Hex. M10X1.25.PART NUMBER: 06106161AA x6
NUT. M10. Export.PART NUMBER: 06106406AA x 2
SCREW.PART NUMBER: 06106937AA x10
SCREW. Large Round Washer Head.PART NUMBER: 06107013AA x8
NUT. Rivet.PART NUMBER: 06107016AA x4
SCREW.PART NUMBER: 06107017AA x8
SCREW. Large Round Washer Head.PART NUMBER: 06107024AA x6
CLIP.PART NUMBER: 68100655AA x6
BRACKET. Skid Plate. Right.PART NUMBER: 68134681AA x1
BELLY PAN. Extension Front. Left PART NUMBER: 68134778AA x1
BELLY PAN. Extension Front. Right* PART NUMBER: 68163987AB* x1
RETAINER.PART NUMBER: 68094787AA x10
BRACKET. Skid Plate. Left.PART NUMBER: 68134682AA x1
BELLY PAN. Front.PART NUMBER: 68376428AA x1

·
Registered
2020 RAM ProMaster 1500 LR 118"
331 Posts
It was an eBay listing from Poland I believe, it was ~$200 shipped with hardware, clips and all three covers. You could buy the pieces individually but I wanted a matching set of three just in case the EU middle one didn’t match with the NA passenger side one, but they do. The texture is a little different and there a minor bit of trimming to do but it’s very simple. Totally worth the price.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
@RPM2020
Thanks for the eBay link. Little trimming cannot be too bad. Going to give that a try as it comes in at cost only shipping for other option.

Other option I was considering was of e-guard. Looks nicely built. If I was out in CA I’d stop by their shop. Suppose if I any heat concerns I can always cut out by eBay one with a pattern like the eguard.

I did get quick response from Gordon and Nicole noting
E-Guard Kit for Ram ProMaster (Backordered) | EDGE VanWorks
shipping cost is $129.
E-Guards are $690.
You do not need to take the E-Guard off for an oil change, it is designed to have access to the drain plug.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts