Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Promaster 1500. I do a lot of alpine climbing around Colorado and I've been thinking about beefing up the suspension to help with some of rougher roads and the added weight of my build out. The short wheelbase performs pretty well but does anyone have any thoughts on beefing these bad boys up for the rougher back roads? Thanks!

John

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
418 Posts
Not sure that you need to beef anything up. Maybe a new set of Koni or Bilstien shocks to help control things.
Do you have an actual problem.
Even the 1500 is rated to carry far more weight than you are likely to have in your build.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nothing you do will will increase ground clearance, suspension travel, suspension articulation or make it 4wd.
As mentioned, it's already a stiff suspension for carrying heavy loads on pavement. What you want for off-road is everything I mentioned above. The van is built from the ground up for for pavement. There's only room for very minor changes that have a very minor effect. But it will never really shine off-road.
When you say "beef up the suspension" I assume you don't mean the build is too heavy(?)
You mean make it more off-road capable (?)

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
HD struts & shocks along with higher load range &nhigher profile tires would be a start. As RnR says "not much you can do it’s built for road use, not off-road use".

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are lift kits that will give you more clearance, but I suggest upgrading your shocks/struts. The OEMs are just ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts