Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

I just wanted to see what people are finding for their MPG's on the 118 WB Promaster. I have had 2-136 WB gassers before my 118 and I can say that the fuel economy sucks compared. I will say that they seem to have a lot more acceleration power than the 136 WB. I am wondering if they geared the 118's differently. It is super fun to drive but I would rather have the fuel economy.

And no, I am not getting worse MPG's because I am hot footing it everywhere. I have a road that I drive a lot and with the 136, I got right around 20-22 MPGs going 60-65 on flat ground (showing via the instant MPG's). This 118 shows 16-17.

What gives?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
He must have a gasser, there is no way a diesel would get 17 mpg without a 4 ton trailer hitched to it.
Shorter is worse for milage and long better all else being even. However the 118 (not 188?) should do better because it is low roof, and lighter. In todays fuel injected computer run engines you probably need to look elsewhere for the answer. I can't believe the 118 would have lower gearing so I doubt that is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
While I was in The Gorge last Summer, a friend rented an 118" WB and we did pretty much the same driving. He was getting about the same MPG as I get with my 136" HR. And I was carrying more weight than him.

It surprised me, I would have expected that the lower roof would have made a whole lot of difference in a windy place like The Gorge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it is a gasser. I have heard from others that their 118 is not getting great MPG's elsewhere too. It is just kind of ridiculous. No idea why.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First full tank in my Eco diesel 118 low got me 23.3mpg manually calculated. I was happy with anything over 20 and figure MPGs may improve after some break in.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
I have never gotten such terrible fuel milage as 23.3 in nearly 10,000 miles in my 136 high top diesel. I consider 25 BAD, 26 OK and 27+ not uncommon. Your 118 should do much better!

·
Registered
91 Posts
All the mpg talk and never a speed running while calculating. Running 70 I got 22.23 calculated with my 136" hightop

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
domain,
I run 55 on most secondary roads, 63-65 on the highway with an occasional 70 but not often. Around town I am light on the go pedal. Wind seems to be the biggest mileage factor for me. I can get down to 25 in headwinds or strong cross wind. I have gotten 28 at 55-63 flat and no wind.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All the mpg talk and never a speed running while calculating. Running 70 I got 22.23 calculated with my 136" hightop
I get the same mpg's averaged with 14,000 miles. Freeway miles is where this little diesel shines. On some trips I have gotten 26 mgs. I do have a lot of STUFF mounted to the roof, I'am sure that cuts mpg's greatly!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have never gotten such terrible fuel milage as 23.3 in nearly 10,000 miles in my 136 high top diesel. I consider 25 BAD, 26 OK and 27+ not uncommon. Your 118 should do much better!
domain,
I run 55 on most secondary roads, 63-65 on the highway with an occasional 70 but not often. Around town I am light on the go pedal. Wind seems to be the biggest mileage factor for me. I can get down to 25 in headwinds or strong cross wind. I have gotten 28 at 55-63 flat and no wind.
That's the thing with mpg reports. Everyone drives differently. You seem to have more slow driving highway miles than I do. Most of the highway where I drive is 70 mph and then mixed in with a bunch of driving around town, you get 23mpg.

I will say my second tank yielded 24.1mpg in similar driving so maybe the motor is loosening up a little.

Is there such a thing as top tier gas for diesel fuel or is that just for regular gas?

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Not for diesel and unless my vehicle was experiencing preignition I never got one iota better fuel mileage with premium unleaded anyway. My motorcycle does worse on it (BMWF650). I bet you'll see some 25 and more!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not for diesel and unless my vehicle was experiencing preignition I never got one iota better fuel mileage with premium unleaded anyway. My motorcycle does worse on it (BMWF650). I bet you'll see some 25 and more!
I realize this is apples and oranges but my Mustang typically got 2mpg and dynod 8whp higher on premium than regular and the car was tuned for regular.

·
Registered
171 Posts
T...
Is there such a thing as top tier gas for diesel fuel or is that just for regular gas?
Not all diesel fuel blends are equal and in U.S.A. differences in diesel fuel quality are more than, for example, in European Union.
A higher cetane number/index for modern diesel engines increaes overall performance with better combustion and less formation of deposits, particulate matter, ... and as side effect less noise, a littrle bit bet fuel economy and others.

But there are others parameteres like density, lubricity, sulfur content, ... that are important.

In U.S.A. best diesel blends with hugh cetane number should be found in California.

For sure it should be better that variability in U.S.A. diesel fuel blends to be reduced as done in European Union in last decades.

http://www.chevron.com/documents/pdf/DieselFuelTechReview.pdf

·
Registered
142 Posts
20-22 mpg town only driving, may have dipped to 19mpg when it was really cold (possibly idling to warm up and de-ice), but on the freeway I get 25 pretty consistently with a heavy foot, racks on top.

I get better mileage on the PM 118 than I did on my Mercedes 118, handling is also better, power is better, and it vibrates less.

I have owned many truck, vans, and SUVs over the years, but I gotta say that the PM 118 is one of my all time favs. I'd take it in AWD :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts