Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I have a bit of an issue and was hoping for some advice. I currently live in Michigan and last fall I purchased a RAM 2500 Promaster new, from a dealer ship. My intentions are to convert the van over to something loosely resembling an RV. So it's been sitting in my driveway for the past six months while I've been waiting for spring. No one drives it all, so all I have on it is "storage insurance" in case tree falls on it or some other random act of god happens. Well I tried to get insurance on it today through progressive (my other two vehicles are with them) and they told me that I have to get commercial insurance for that vehicle?!!? Really!? I asked about RV's and she told me that they too have to go through the commercial side to get insurance. Any thoughts? She told me that the commercial insurance is much more expensive, which i believe. But I'm just going to be using it maybe once or twice a month on the weekends!

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I get mine from Progressive commercial for about $300 a year (full coverage) in NH!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 2014 2500 promaster and a 2007 2500 sprinter, the promaster is insured by shelter as a personal delivery vehicle cost about $900 year. the sprinter is insured by progressive as a commercial delivery vehicle cost about $1100 year. the vin numbers is why i had to get a commercial rate from progressive as all else we own is insured by shelter. now the funny thing; the promaster has a commercial plate while the sprinter has a regular plate. this again is due to the vin numbers according to the dmv. these guys need to get their act together. i hate having a plate rated for 10,000 lbs on a van rated for 8950 lbs. also some states i enter weigh vans at the scale house starting at 10,001 lbs ( i think i have even seen signs stated over 4 tons). The insurance companies are getting tough on larger vehicles, my friend with a F350 dually says his insurance tripled this year and our other buddy with a F550 dually has yet to find anyone that will insure his truck ( the company he was with since 2006 dropped anything bigger than a F250 or with dual wheels)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy. I bought it through their website as I do for my 4runner and my motorcycles. I have never bought any from a representative of theirs or an agent for them. Easy. They require the van to have a GVRW of over 9,000 lbs., have cooking facilities built in, shore power, bathroom, water storage, and the other features of a Class B van which is the class of insurance I requested. I wouldn’t call an agent or allow them to quote insurance for a commercial vehicle if it’s an RV. Use the internet! I had to pick how many days per year I would use it and I picked a number like 220 as we don’t use it for our everyday driver. They keep your answers so be honest of course but it should work fine. You get a quote and pay. All insurance should be this easy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got insurance thru progressive. I just called them 2 days after I got my van. I do remember them having a bit of trouble trying to find the make and model in there system but I told him what it was and the vin number and they took care of it. I don't think I'm paying much over $600 a year for just the van on full coverage here in PA. I thought about going to RV insurance now that my van is mostly done but I don't want to throw a wrench into things so I'm going to leave it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy...
Makes a huge difference what state you are in. Michigan is one of the highest cost states for auto insurance. We have 2 of the top ten highest cost cities in the country (Detroit and Grand Rapids). It's also one the few states that USAA won't offer coverage to veteran's family members.

I bought my last van (94 E150) from California and the PO left some old insurance bills in it. He paid $300/year. For the same van I pay just under $800/year in MI with a perfect driving record, top credit rating, and the vehicle classified as pleasure use < 5000 mi/year. Progressive rates where much higher on the same vehicle.

Try some different companies. Problem may be the 8550 GVRW.

·
Registered
212 Posts
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy. I bought it through their website as I do for my 4runner and my motorcycles. I have never bought any from a representative of theirs or an agent for them. Easy. They require the van to have a GVRW of over 9,000 lbs., have cooking facilities built in, shore power, bathroom, water storage, and the other features of a Class B van which is the class of insurance I requested. I wouldn’t call an agent or allow them to quote insurance for a commercial vehicle if it’s an RV. Use the internet! I had to pick how many days per year I would use it and I picked a number like 220 as we don’t use it for our everyday driver. They keep your answers so be honest of course but it should work fine. You get a quote and pay. All insurance should be this easy.

I did the same as RD. Actually, I first called them and tried to get RV insurance for my PM, but because they couldn't grasp the concept that a RAM could be an RV, they told me I could not get it insured as an RV and that it would have to be commercial.

The next day I went through the internet and made my selections. I then called them and they looked up my selections, I confirmed some and edited others through the agent, based on my questions to them re: "what do you mean when you say...". The agent said my vehicle could be insured as an RV as long as it had a bed, and toilet, and refrigeration. Those where the first three things I got in my van. The bed is done, I have a portable toilet (not yet in use, but could be in an emergency), and a Dometic Fridge (not yet powered, still working through electricity - but I could connect to 12v lighter outlet)...but I have them and they could all function if necessary.

It really depends on where you are getting it insured...how you answer the questions (on the internet), was words/terms you use when talking to someone and the agent's ability to work with you.

The problem when I called the first time I said that I have a cargo van that I am converting into and RV. It will have a bed, plumbing, toilet, fridge/freezer, electrical, etc. Well, the only thing the agent heard was "converting" and "van" and made the assumption that I was trying to insure a "conversion van" as an RV. No matter how I tried to explain it, that this would be just like a Class B RV...he didn't get it, and was flat out saying we don't insure those vans as an RV. That's when I realized I needed to use the online application first so I could articulate exactly what I had without the agent's assumptions interfering with my attempts to get insurance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We have Progressive full timers coverage. Had the same issues with agents as those above, finally got frustrated and did the online form. Now, someone file a claim so we know that it will work out! :laugh:

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Now, someone file a claim so we know that it will work out! :laugh:
As some on the forum are aware, I have attempted to RV-insure my PM campervan with all the big names. All have said, "Only if built by a recognized van conversion company."

"just like a Class B" was a no-go.

"it has sleeping, eating, cooking, toilet facilities" was a no-go.

Talked to agents and also filled out online forms with many companies. Agents said no, online called for "details," then said no.

All have said that the underwriters will not insure unless built by a recognized company. Many at my urging have called the underwriters back, offered pictures and documentation.... still a no-go.

Their final word suggests to me that at claim time, issues may present themselves... I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from what they have or how they got it... just sharing the absolute certainty with which every major company said, "NO GO" to a DIY van.

Bottom line for me is that mine is insured as purchased... a cargo van with whatever I want to carry in the back (which in my case are all the items that a campervan has!)
In CT, I can't get RV plates so it is licensed as a "combo" plate... may be used for personal or business use. Can't license with a passenger plate.

Costs more, but not quite as much as my 2014 Corvette!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to have another go at it today. Online this time, then maybe talk with a rep.

·
Registered
795 Posts
flyingfork , how did you do ? I tried Progressive and couldn't input the vin . Made the phone call and they don't insure PMs ?!?!?!
Mercury does PMs but no Transit Cs ?!?!?! On and on . See what happens when Big Gov interferes with a free market .

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
flyingfork , how did you do ? I tried Progressive and couldn't input the vin . Made the phone call and they don't insure PMs ?!?!?!
Mercury does PMs but no Transit Cs ?!?!?! On and on . See what happens when Big Gov interferes with a free market .
Many members of the forum, including myself, have had no problems in obtains RV coverage from Progressive.

The fact that you called up and were told "They don't insure PM's" has nothing to do with so called "Big Government" in fact, it is exactly how the "Free Market' and "Capitalism operate! If your so called "Big Government" was interfering it would be much more likely Progressive and every other insurance company would have to change their underwriting practices and be required to insure everyone and anything.

While I can understand your frustration here you are equating two totally unrelated subjects. Unless you can show Progressive doesn't insure Promasters because of some nefarious "Big Government Plot" your hypothesis holds water as well as a leaky bucket.

Even worse, you are subjecting members of the forum to read a needless and false political rant rather than providing any valuable information on Promasters. People come to the Promaster forum to learn about and help other Promaster owners not to read someone else's personal political thoughts. There are many web sites where you can go and share your political or religious feelings, thoughts and beliefs 24/7 with other like minded individuals - the Promaster forum isn't the place to try and spread your own personal beliefs and feelings other than how they relate to Promasters.

Long time, regular contributors to the forum have indicated over and over again they prefer a forum that informs them rather than insults them and their intelligence and is free from much of the nonsense found on other forums. Please, keep this in mind in future posts!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have Progressive RV insurance on my Van and secured it on their site, see post #4 . I got a very good rate and have spoken to them following my purchase to clarify that I qualify and was assured I did. I also spoke with a Progressive adjuster and he assured me he adjusts Sprinters, Transits and Promasters. Thanks to KOV for getting us back on topic. Moderating is sometimes a tough job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a little update. To tell you the truth I've been dragging my feet on this. I went online to the progressive website and was able to get a quote, but then I got to the last page where I have to confirm the following...

I confirm that the recreational vehicle(s) listed on this quote:
Is not used for any commercial or business activity.

Is not used at or commuting to and from a work site.

Is not a rented vehicle, under a conditional sales agreement with a short term return policy, or leased or rented to others.

Does not have a state assigned VIN or salvaged titled vehicle(s) if I am requesting Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage for the vehicle.

Includes cooking, refrigeration, sleeping, bathroom facilities, self-contained heating and/or air conditioning, drinkable water supply system, and 110-125 volt electrical power system (including solar powered systems).
Which stopped me in my tracks, as this vehicle is a work in progress and doesn't yet meet the "refrigeration, cooking" requirements.

I dunno, I think I may go commercial for a little while until i can meet the requirements but that's super expensive. If I recall correctly my last commercial quote (several weeks ago) was several hundred dollars a month. The RV one was like 40 or 60 a month..

Good thing I'm not in any hurry.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I think you will find all insurance companies have pretty much the same requirements for RV insurance. But, actually, when you are done you should have problem meeting those specs as they are pretty basic for any kind of camper.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I answered yes to that as I had every intention of having all that done ASAP. I hardly drove the van during the 2 months I did that stuff after I got the sheet goods. Amazon and others delivered! I did not plan to use it for commuting or commercial so it was reasonable.
If not, how does one insure a van to deliver to Safari Condo, Morehead Design Colorado Campers, or other converters who have you drop off your own van?
If bothered put in a cooler and a campstove.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
None of those requirements are particularly difficult to meet. Who is to say an ice box/cooler is not a refrigerator, a propane or butane BBQ isn't a stove, a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the top isn't a toilet? It's all reletive and the standards are very loose and simple to meet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm in Michigan (expensive state) and I got a couple quotes: $1200/yr from Auto Owners (agent quote after couple days research), and $1400 from Liberty mutual (online). I currently have insurance from both companies on separate vehicles so it's not a teaser rate where they'll jack you up next time (AAA comes to mind). Neither quote was for RV use. I had Auto Owners quote it as personal use handicap conversion so I think it was just based on price (van + $5000 for a lift/tiedowns).

I thought $1200 was high based on my current $800/yr for my 96 E150 conversion, but I checked a stock GMC Savana on Liberty Mutual site and it was almost $1400/yr. Checked a couple other random SUVs and it was still more. So it appears PM is no more expensive than many other new vehicles. The sticker shock is going from very old to new. New cars are way too expensive for ultra-low mileage drivers.

I'm getting fed up with the idea every vehicle is $100/month for insurance no matter how little you use it. Anyone see the movie "The Straight Story"? Using a garden tractor for transportation is looking better to me all the time. No insurance, super reliable, dirt cheap, hauls weight, and you can mow your grass with it. With chains and a snow blower it will get you there when even 4x4s can't make it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get mine from Progressive commercial for about $300 a year (full coverage) in NH!
They just quoted me $6K/Year for a bone stock 2019 118 WB van. This was literally 10 times as much as I pay for my current car. I'm 48 with no tickets and will drive less than 5K miles annually since I work at home.

I told them to take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts