Ram Promaster Forum banner

Progressive Dynamics Breaker Box - DC fuses all accounted for

1321 5
I am looking for a solution to add additional DC appliances but I have used all twelve fuses locations. Should I add an additional six fuse block through one of the current fuse locations? Is there a better solution? Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,227 Posts
I am looking for a solution to add additional DC appliances but I have used all twelve fuses locations. Should I add an additional six fuse block through one of the current fuse locations? Is there a better solution? Thanks
Yes you can add a subpanel fused off the existing. You should verify the maximum fusing off your existing for the sub. As long as you are doing that, you may as well go with an isolated/partitioned sub panel. That way you can feed each half of the SP from separate fuses from your original. Future expansion.

But, as 83Grumman said, you can combine loads on the same fuse.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If it was me, and I couldn't easily combine loads within my existing Progressive Dynamics PD5000, I'd add another fuse block and tap into the external 12V-120A breaker that feeds my PD5000's 12V fuse block. Two separate fuse blocks off the one main breaker.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
3,181 Posts
Hi,
There is nothing to prevent you from putting multiple loads on one fuse as long as all the wire to the loads is heavy enough gauge to be protected by the fuse. The fuses are there to protect the wiring, not the loads at the end of the wire. Most people use 15 amp fuses for #14 or larger wire, and 20 amp fuses for #12 wire or larger. But, the ABYC marine code would allow more current - use the BlueSea Circuit Wizard to to check that the wire has a high enough current rating for the fuse you are going to use.

I have the same 12 fuse unit, and have a couple of the fuses with multiple loads on them. I usually combine loads that don't use a lot of current and/or are physically close together. There are some DC loads that are so tiny it makes little sense to devote an entire fuse to them - especially when you are running out of fuse slots.

Gary

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure how you ran your circuits, but you should easily be able to wire up a camper van with 12 circuits. I've seen entire houses safely wired with 12 circuits. As Gary noted, usually there are multiple things on each circuit, especially for applications that don't get a lot of use. For sure you can have dedicated circuits - fridge for example since it is always on, but most of the other circuits don't have that issue. Also, if you look at the load totals for most charging applications (USB and other 12V charging), the total amp draw is not large and you would never likely have everything used at once. For sure you can use a subpanel, but the point of the panels is not to have a fuse for every single individual outlet or appliance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.